Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I have a JVC Model NO : JVC HD-P61R1U and have two questions:

1) I have basic cable at my house, and this TV was gifted to me. It seems the previous owner did not have cable and now the TV does not pick it up. I plug in my cable to the "Digital In" (and no nothing is wrong with my cable provider, I unplugged the cable cord from a WORKING tv) and when I plug it in I get nothing but a black screen. I do a "channel search" and it shows nothing but fuzzy. I feel this is because in the menu there is only an option for "ATSC(?)" or "Digital Cable" .. which I don't have. Is there any way to get this TV to work with basic cable? Does having only a "Digital Cable" plug in the back mean it is only compatible with Digital Cable?

2) How in the world do I reset this TV? Shouldn't there be a button in the menus that completely wipes the TV to its factory settings?

Here are some pictures for reference:

THANKS!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
If I'm reading your post correctly, you have the cable on a digital input? :scratch:

Maybe I'm missing something (it happens more often than I care to admit!! LOL), but isn't there a "cable/ant. in" on the TV? "Digital in" on this TV (according to the online info I could find) is an HDMI input; that's not the same as cable UNLESS you are using a cable box with HDMI outputs. If that's the case, you need to switch to the "digital input" on the TV and let the cable box change channels for you. If not (you stated that you have basic cable) look for a "cable/ant. in" and connect the cable to that input.

Sorry if I misunderstand your post; if you hook the cable (it should be a coaxial cable) to the "cable in" on the TV and do a "channel set-up/scan" from the set-up menu you should be straight! Good luck!! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thank you for the reply!

I don't see this "cable/ant" feature you are talking about on the back of the TV. I tried posting a picture but it did not show up for some reason.. so here is a link (hopefully this will work)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7207/6866936002_9fb9bc478e_z.jpg

The only 2 inputs I can plug a cable into are either "Digital Cable In" and "VHF/UHF" whatever that means.

I have tried scanning for the channels on both settings (ATSC & Digital Cable) but both lead to nothing but fuzzy screens and when I try changing the channel with the remote, it says its stuck on channel 02 and won't even go up in channels :coocoo:

Thanks again for any help

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
The "VHF/UHF" may work; it's an antenna input. Give it a try; I'll double check the link to make sure that I looked at the same model earlier. Good luck!!

BTW-you do not have a cable box, correct?? :huh:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not that I know of, the only thing I have is a cable coming out of my wall that provides me with cable LOL.

You know, it is the cord that screws on to the back of the tv & also screws onto the wall socket. From there I am clueless, so unless this "cable box" is hidden somewhere, I don't have one.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
If you had a cable box, you would know LOL. You would be renting it from the cable company. :D

Use the "75Ω UHF/VHF" input; that's the antenna input and should work. Set the TV to "cable" in the set-up menu (or try ATSC first, Digital Cable if that doesn't work) and then auto-scan.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm completely stumped. The menu to search or "scan" the channels says press "OK" on the remote to start. Yet, the remote that came with the TV doesn't even have an OK button! Pressing channel/volume up/down does not work either.

Grr.. unless there is a way to press "OK' any other ways, I guess I cannot test your advice until I get to my other house where my universal remote is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally found the manual online:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/inst_man.jsp?model_id=MDL101580&feature_id=11

It's the first one on the list. Strangely enough, the manual shows that you should send a signal to BOTH the "75Ω UHF/VHF" and "Digital Cable" inputs by splitting the cable. That seems strange to me, but it's a pro set (??) from ~2007. I hope that this helps!
THANK YOU!! That is JUST what I need! I guess I have to buy that "multiple" cable piece as seen in the manual, hope those aren't too expensive! That makes no sense why they would require BOTH inputs to be used, every other tv (even my plasma) only requires one :coocoo:

You've been a great help! Unfortunately it will be about a month or two before I can go back and get my universal remote and this cable piece, so I will report back then!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All that you need is a splitter; <$3 at Parts Express: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=180-714 and another pice of coaxial cable. Good luck!!
Got the splitter, and I finally have picture! I am getting ALL of my cable channels. Thank you!

BUT. what do you know, the TV now has NO sound at all! I went to the audio setup in the menu, and the tuners for "bass, treble, balance" are all grayed out. I have tried pressing the reset button but it does not do anything. Is there anything that should cause all my sound to be locked up and not work?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
It sounds like you have the set in some mode for external audio system connection. Look through the menus for a setting to turn on the internal sound or something like "home theater system."

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It sounds like you have the set in some mode for external audio system connection. Look through the menus for a setting to turn on the internal sound or something like "home theater system."
You're exactly right! Can't think of exactly what setting needed to be turned off.. but had the word "output" in it. Switched it off and the sound came on!!

Thanks for the help guys, now I can enjoy this TV Finally.:R

1 - 15 of 15 Posts