Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is probably a really stupid question, but what steps do I have to take pre-measurement to make sure all my measurements will have the same consistent db levels from session to session? Do I just play the pink noise from REW's Generator and adjust the AVR volume to a consistent db level on REW's SPL meter? What db level should that optimally be?

FYI, I'm using a USB mic and PC audio out to AVR in.

Feel free to beat me over the head with a club if this is something I should already know!

·
Registered
192 Posts
OK, this is probably a really stupid question, but what steps do I have to take pre-measurement to make sure all my measurements will have the same consistent db levels from session to session? Do I just play the pink noise from REW's Generator and adjust the AVR volume to a consistent db level on REW's SPL meter? What db level should that optimally be?

FYI, I'm using a USB mic and PC audio out to AVR in.

Feel free to beat me over the head with a club if this is something I should already know!
The only stupid question (with only a few exceptions) in my book is the one that is never asked. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to your question but am interested to read whatever responses you get. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
9,310 Posts

Hey Yeti,

To keep levels consistent from one session to the next, you need to perform the SPL calibration routine, which (naturally) requires a meter. About 75 dB is the figure commonly used.

That said, there’s typically no compelling reason to have precisely the same levels from one session to the next...

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Yeti,

To keep levels consistent from one session to the next, you need to perform the SPL calibration routine, which (naturally) requires a meter. About 75 dB is the figure commonly used.

That said, there’s typically no compelling reason to have precisely the same levels from one session to the next...

Regards,
Wayne
Hello Wayne!

Sorry to ask but I'm new here and you seem to be one of the "pro's" here to answer a beginners question like mine: Concerning the 75db you mention, I wanted to ask, where the different levels come from: 75db as you mentioned, then the 79db which are considered to be for smaller mixing rooms and the 83-85db for larger mixing rooms. Can you help me understand, when which level should be applied?
Greetings,
enio-music

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Concerning the 75db you mention, I wanted to ask, where the different levels come from: 75db as you mentioned, then the 79db which are considered to be for smaller mixing rooms and the 83-85db for larger mixing rooms. Can you help me understand, when which level should be applied?
Not Wayne, but the answer is it doesn't matter. The shape of the response is not affected by level unless the level is very low (when noise intrudes) or very high (when distortion becomes a problem). Beyond that, simply use a comfortable level so that when the sweep plays it is not too loud.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.