Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Kef makes incredible speakers for both music and home theater so we should have a thread here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My first Kefs were the Reference 103/4s which I paired with a DefTech Powerfield 1500 sub, simply amazing. A few years back I got the XQ40s with the XQ50c center after trying the Aperion Grand Verus Towers with matching center. The Aperions were much more laid back and great for music but a bit lacking, IMO, for HT.

The XQs are very good speakers also but not what I had before for music so I recently upgraded to the Reference 205/2 with the 202/2c center. I home auditioned the Revel Ultima Studio2s also which are incredible also. The 205/2s worked better in my room but the driver in my decision was the centers, the Voice2 just wouldn't fit with my setup.

I know there are many amazing speaker brands but in my limited experience I find Kef works very well for both music (e.g. B&W) and HT (e.g. M&K).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was lucky enough to get a pair of the new 50th anniversary LS 50's at the beginning of December. I completely concur with JA in Stereophile that these are "Class A for smaller rooms". They are only available on the KEF USA website, and are currently out of stock. They're small, but absolutely potent for Jazz, classical, or almost anything. The Clarity and lack of colortion is beyond belief. Knock on the side and you'd swear you were knocking on concrete. I use them with a sub, but twice I've left the sub off and didn't notice till later. Amazing reviews from multiple sources--- google 'em.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have some Kef Q900 front speakers. Great bass and midrange vocals. I got them to use in a bedroom close to a wall and with no space on the sides and they do great since they have a sealed design with passive bass radiator cones on the front. These are my first speakers more than $400 a pair and they were definitely worth the jump in price and I really felt like I had entered audiophile territory with actual sound engineering going into the speaker design past the stuff that can be done by DIY projects. Like the tweeter being inside the midrange woofer etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was lucky enough to get a pair of the new 50th anniversary LS 50's at the beginning of December. I completely concur with JA in Stereophile that these are "Class A for smaller rooms". They are only available on the KEF USA website, and are currently out of stock. They're small, but absolutely potent for Jazz, classical, or almost anything. The Clarity and lack of colortion is beyond belief. Knock on the side and you'd swear you were knocking on concrete. I use them with a sub, but twice I've left the sub off and didn't notice till later. Amazing reviews from multiple sources--- google 'em.
I finally got to hear them recently, a phenomenal little speaker. I want to get these as surrounds with my 205/2s for use with multichannel music. Simply amazing! Five of these with dual subs, wow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've owned the 104, 104/2, 105 and now have the 107/2 speakers. My son now has the 104's and he loves them. I've been a fan of KEF's for quite a long time. Their sound just rubs my ears right.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got done listening to R700s. Pretty amazing speaker, pretty much what I expected except bass was even stronger than anticipated. They were new out of the box today so not yet broke in. Can see how the outer bung in one of the ports might come in handy. Had they had these when I replaced my 103/4s I may have been satisfied and not gone back to Reference. My XQ40s are doing well in surround duty. Kef should be able to bring in new blood with these for sure.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just got my LS50. To be honest, I was kind of underwhelmed. it is too clinical with no emotion. It seems like it is missing its soul. The problem may be lack of bass in the speakers or something else. Or it may be a problem with my set up. And I need all your help to identify the problem before I need to send them back (2 weeks left) and choose another speaker ( may be Kef R300). I have them on Sanus steel stands, yamaha rx v800 amp (100 wpc rms), 2 ft from back wall and 3 ft from side wall. No sub, no DRC.

PLEASE HELP.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I've owned the 104, 104/2, 105 and now have the 107/2 speakers. My son now has the 104's and he loves them. I've been a fan of KEF's for quite a long time. Their sound just rubs my ears right.
My 105/3 Reference pair served well in my 2ch rig from 1996 thru 2013 with just a refoam of the bass drivers. Their rosewood finish was not just beautiful, but gorgeous. In my experience, you have to spend thousands more to get even close to their fit and finish.

They have pinpoint imaging and a wide stage they can disappear into. And revealing, too, but not ruthlessly so. They definitely passed on the character of upstream components, rather than imposed their own character upon them. I initially settled on a stock McCormack DNA-1 for musicality, but still miss an auditioned Aragon 4004 that created unbelievably real drum and demo pyrotechnics. The Aragon lost out, though, because of it's sterile musical presentation (to my ears).

The KEF 105/3's don't require gobs of power to drive, as they are quite efficient; but they don't really open up and sing at low volumes. They're good on all musical genre's, and can play to realistic concert-hall levels to their well-over 100dB SPL rating at the end of a capable amplifier. Really! AC/DC Salutes you!

Yet, an upper midrange glare/hardness seemed to nag me no matter what upstream equipment graced the system, and no matter the source material. But that's just me. I'm sensitive to higher frequencies and prefer a softer presentation. That's why I finally traded them for a pair of B&W CM-9's. I will miss them for a long time.

110.JPG

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Just got my LS50. To be honest, I was kind of underwhelmed. it is too clinical with no emotion. It seems like it is missing its soul. The problem may be lack of bass in the speakers or something else. Or it may be a problem with my set up. And I need all your help to identify the problem before I need to send them back (2 weeks left) and choose another speaker ( may be Kef R300). I have them on Sanus steel stands, yamaha rx v800 amp (100 wpc rms), 2 ft from back wall and 3 ft from side wall. No sub, no DRC.

PLEASE HELP.
If moving the speakers and listening chair around a bit doesn't give you satisfactory bass through boundary reinforcement, you might have to step to a larger loudspeaker.

How big is the room?

·
Registered
60 Posts
The listening space is 18 x11 and I sit about 6 ft from the speakers. But the listening space is open to kitchen at the back 18 x 18. How would getting a sub help?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've always been a fan of the bigger KEFs, but also always found that the smaller ones weren't to my taste.

The big ones can be very transparent and neutral. The smaller ones often sound to me like they're trying to escape from a box ! (if you know what I mean). Haven't tried the LS50 though, but I'm not surprised that shkumar4963 finds them a bit soulless - they are after all derived from studio monitors so you'd expect them to be clinical.

I'd dearly like to trade in my Reference Model 3~2 for some nice new Reference 3 or 5, but suffer from that dreadful hifi malaise of lack of funds..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Have only personaly owned the egg units but I would love to try the Q series for HT. Of course I would live to try the Ref series also but the price goes up quick with those.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Regarding LS50. Floor standing speakers were outlawed by my wife because of small listening space. And R300 dis have a bit more bass but a bit of loose bass and loss of accuracy at mids and highs. Never tried reference line because I was afraid that I would like them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts