Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered KEF set of speakers ( Q900, Q800, Q600 ). A friend recommended this to me.

Can someone give a comment about these speakers? I consider this a major purchase in terms of price and being new to home entertainment equipment.

What would be a good sub woofer to match this set up? I tried ordering a velodyne optimum 12 but they don't have it in stock and was told to wait for couple of weeks. Is this a right choice?

Thank you and hoping for someone to be of help.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Your budget for the sub will help for others to make suggestions. If you bought speakers without listening to them I would try to check them out somewhere so you can return them if your not happy, many people think some speakers sound different then others the sub is not as much of an issue svs is a sponsor here and they have a 45 day in home trial if I was getting a new sub I would look at there impressive lineup. There are some great reviews of there subs done by fellow Shack members along with many others as well.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The velodyne optimum 12 is a high end sub, given the price they sell for This SVS PB13U would be a great option and costs less. If space is an issue this SB13U is also a good option.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Ported is always better for over all output.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Thank you for that input.

Is the sealed better than the ported sub?
Depends.
Ported tends to be louder but sealed often has a flatter response. This of course depends more on the specific sub then on technology. Basically you can get more volume out of a ported enclosure without working the amplifier as hard.

A good flat response between ~80hz to ~20/24hz is what you're looking for. Great dampening can really help the bass sound tight and responsive.

Sub placement plays a very big roll in performance. Manny times a bigger factor them the sonic differences between two good subs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your budget for the sub will help for others to make suggestions. If you bought speakers without listening to them I would try to check them out somewhere so you can return them if your not happy, many people think some speakers sound different then others the sub is not as much of an issue svs is a sponsor here and they have a 45 day in home trial if I was getting a new sub I would look at there impressive lineup. There are some great reviews of there subs done by fellow Shack members along with many others as well.
Have you heard the KEF speakers already?

Svs is a better buy from the velodyne?

45 days trial would be a good idea?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depends.
Ported tends to be louder but sealed often has a flatter response. This of course depends more on the specific sub then on technology. Basically you can get more volume out of a ported enclosure without working the amplifier as hard.

A good flat response between ~80hz to ~20/24hz is what you're looking for. Great dampening can really help the bass sound tight and responsive.

Sub placement plays a very big roll in performance. Manny times a bigger factor them the sonic differences between two good subs.
You would rather go for the sealed?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
You would rather go for the sealed?
I'm a Martin Logan fanboy. I'm in love with my depth-i sub and their grotto is nothing to sneeze at. Stepping down on price a little the dynamo700 is also a fantastic sub but its $700.

The thing I really like about the dynamo is how percussive it is and the fact that its wireless means you have much more flexibility for placement.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm a Martin Logan fanboy. I'm in love with my depth-i sub and their grotto is nothing to sneeze at. Stepping down on price a little the dynamo700 is also a fantastic sub but its $700.

The thing I really like about the dynamo is how percussive it is and the fact that its wireless means you have much more flexibility for placement.
For the price, its worth checking out. I hope I can decide soon on what sub to get instead of the optimum 12 which is not in stock. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I have owned the KEF 107's many many years ago, I found them a beautiful music speaker (home theater wasn't big back then). If the sound hasn't changed much then I would be happy with them in a multimedia setup where music was just as important and movies. As for subs I have always found sealed to sound better for music (except hip hop which I don't listen to anyways) and ported for HT. The sub that I have listened to that I enjoyed the most for music is a REL. For movies I currently own a SVS PC12 NSD which I consider one of the better ported subs for its price.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
In my opinion, sealed if you are going to be playing a lot of music. Ported if it the system is primarily movies.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Watching TV/movies on the weekdays and listening to music on the weekends. It would be great if I get a sub that is best of both worlds and besides I can only afford only one.

I guess Velodyne is a more well known brand than the SVS based on asking friends of what they would recommend but no stock. I was thinking of calling or sending an email to SVS for a trial but aside for S&H cost, what i am apprehensive about is that I have kids in the house that might scratch the sub and ending up paying for damage. Id rather go for a trial with a particular brand that I am more sure of. This is first time knowing about the SVS, and the reason for me doing more research and inquiries.

With Velodyne having no stock of the optimum 12 which is recommended by friends, gave me the opportunity on looking for other options. It has been 2 weeks since I got my new set of KEF speakers with no subs yet. Not in a rush but just making sure that I get the best for the budget.

Thank you and needing more inputs from you guys who are experienced on this field.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
SVS is very well know among Home theater enthusiasts. They have won awards for design and sound quality and are truly great bang for buck. Nothing against other more "well known" manufacturers but you would not be returning one once you have it. I personally have the PB13u and its is a monster and it is fantastic for both music and movies.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
yes, and I promise you it would not disappoint. Given the unfavorable review of the Velodyne here I would have to say the SVS would do far better.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tony,

Thank you for your advice and I will be doing more research about the SVS to be familiarized on this sub.

Are there any more suggestions to guide me on choosing a sub woofer?

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I also agree with the many posts above, go with SVS for your sub (whether sealed or ported). As for myself, I prefer sealed but as other pointed out, you'll get more output with a ported version.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Forgot to mention, the KEF's you're getting sound pretty good. I like the fronts and center. I'm not a fan of dipole/biple surrounds though, but that's just a preference. I prefer direct radiating speakers for surrounds.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts