1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KEN KREISEL DXD-808 Subwoofer​

For the Full Review Click Here

Conclusion
This review turned out to be a bit of a double-edged sword for me. On the one hand I was treated to a level of articulation and perspicuity unlike just about anything I have experienced in the past. The downside is now that I know what things are supposed to sound like it may be difficult to evaluate anything else and know what I'm not hearing that I should be. I'm not sure if I should thank Ken Kreisel or curse him for that. It will probably be the former though, because ultimately this turned out to be a very enjoyable experience. Ken Kreisel has created a subwoofer with my name written all over it, and considering how picky I am that's nothing short of amazing. If you desire exquisite high-quality bass, and can afford the price of entry, KEN KREISEL should be one of the very first companies you look to.

Please feel free to discuss below.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Thanks for the review Jim - stellar job as always. :T

I have read all your sub reviews to date, and even if you did not say so, I could tell you thoroughly enjoyed these as I do not remember any other review where you talked about other scenes from LOTR besides the Bridge sequence! ;)

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the review Jim - stellar job as always. :T
Thank you sir - I appreciated that.

I have read all your sub reviews to date, and even if you did not say so, I could tell you thoroughly enjoyed these as I do not remember any other review where you talked about other scenes from LOTR besides the Bridge sequence! ;)
I actually use a few minutes from the opening scene as well, but you're correct that I mostly focus on The Bridge Of Khazad Doom.

You're also right that I really liked these subs. All my life it has been quality over quantity, in everything. I distinctly recall when my friends and I were getting our first cars they were all going for sheer volume and buying rubbish, like Jensen. Me? I was getting Alpine, Infinity, Blaupunkt, et al. They couldn't understand why I was paying so much, yet their stereo was louder then mine. I would just smile, comforted in the knowledge that it wasn't worth trying to explain; you either got it or you didn't, and if it had to be explained you were already in the "didn't get it" camp.

I am absolute obsessed with clarity, detail and precision. In that regard Ken and I are kindred spirits because his subwoofers exude those very characteristics.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Thanks for the great review Jim. I do hope that when a Rythmik sealed sub comes in for review, that you get a chance to hear it and comment on its accuracy and precision as compared to this sub. One of Rythmik's claims is accuracy, so after this rave review I'm quite curious to get an opinion on how they compare. Thanks again.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the great review Jim. I do hope that when a Rythmik sealed sub comes in for review, that you get a chance to hear it and comment on its accuracy and precision as compared to this sub. One of Rythmik's claims is accuracy, so after this rave review I'm quite curious to get an opinion on how they compare. Thanks again.
Funny you mention it, but that's a long story so it will have to keep for another time... :D

I'm glad you enjoyed the review. The DXD-808 is not inexpensive but you get some truly remarkable engineering and quality for your money.

Regarding SVS; HTS reviewed the PB13-Ultra and the SB13-Ultra, so there is current information available for some of their higher-end offerings.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
I'm going for the DXD-808 as I need the smaller size but want the Kreisel accuracy, so looking forward to getting my hands on one of these :)

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Please do. I would like to hear someone elses impressions of the DXD-808.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
The little Kreisel should be in my hands fairly soon and I intend to do a full review of this little beauty :T
I own the 12012 and its very nice and smooth. The reference level for the bass level did not work for me too well maybe because of placement and room modes. It was until I moved it to +1 on the gain that I now feel the punch and effect from movies. I am sure the 808 is as nice. Let me know how you like it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello
long time lurker and decide to register.

I order the DXD-808, its arriving this week, i have no experience in high-end subwoofers, can anyone recommend me some download to "broke" the sub during the fist hours of use, the review mention 25 hours!!! :rubeyes:

regards

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Hi,
I would just try and pick some music which you know is bass heavy and play that for some time if you want to run it in quicker otherwise just keep playing films and music and enjoy the sub and it will break in over time, but the main thing is just to enjoy it!!

Cheers
John

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I order the DXD-808, its arriving this week, i have no experience in high-end subwoofers, can anyone recommend me some download to "broke" the sub during the fist hours of use, the review mention 25 hours!!! :rubeyes:
I'd suggest at least 25 hours before they're fully loosened up. That process should be done gradually though, and not in some abrupt manner. The concept is to slowly exercise the spider and surround so they aren't as stiff, not try and stretch them with excessive movement.

The best method I've found is to use the sub like you normally would, but at a lesser volume. As the hours pile on then the intensity can increase, so around the 25th hour you're in the position to start pushing it some. That's when you can crank the Fast and Furious... :T

1 - 20 of 31 Posts