Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
The little Kreisel should be in my hands fairly soon and I intend to do a full review of this little beauty :T
Let me know when you get it and calibrate it if you used the bass level (green dot) or if you used any other gain setting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello Jman,

I just read your Kreisel dxd-808 review and the Rythmik F8, which leads me to ask which one you would buy today?

I appreciate your input. This will be to supplement my 12" subs.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hello Jman,

I just read your Kreisel dxd-808 review and the Rythmik F8, which leads me to ask which one you would buy today?

I appreciate your input. This will be to supplement my 12" subs.
My preferences and needs may differ from yours so what I would purchase probably won't help much. But comparing the two of them in general...

Cost easily favors the Rythmik; you can buy two F8's for the price of a single DXD-808. Output favors the Rythmik too as the dual-driver design of the Kreisel is not really intended to increase output, but instead to combat harmonic distortion through physics (as opposed to electronics like the Rytmhik). Both approaches work however.

The DXD-808 looks nicer but appearance is subjective so you may feel otherwise. Depth/extension goes to the Rythmik; the DXD-808 is listed as 15Hz "typical in room frequency response" but I didn't achieve that. The DXD-808 is designed to be stacked so it you're thinking of more than one integration is completely seamless.

What 12" subwoofers do you have now? Typically you want to avoid mixing capabilities or alignments as that is always fraught with problems. Unless you want an MBM arrangement it's better to add identical - or very close to it - subs to a current setup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

I currently have a M&K MX-350 and a M&K dxd 12012.

I can pick up the dxd 808 for about the same cost as the rythmik F8, it sounds like either way you prefer the Rythmik. I was wanting to pick something up to help with the upper bands and use it more for music...thinking two 8" drivers would be good for that.

It sounds like you do not recommend blending the 8's with the 12's.

I appreciate your input.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks for the reply!

I currently have a M&K MX-350 and a M&K dxd 12012.

I can pick up the dxd 808 for about the same cost as the rythmik F8, it sounds like either way you prefer the Rythmik. I was wanting to pick something up to help with the upper bands and use it more for music...thinking two 8" drivers would be good for that.

It sounds like you do not recommend blending the 8's with the 12's.

I appreciate your input.
Is that one of the original MX-350's from about 12+ years ago? If so I'm impressed you're able to blend that with a DXD 12012.

Both the F8 and DXD-808 have their strengths and weaknesses, just like most things I suppose. The value leader is clearly the Rythmik so if cost is one of the primary considerations - but you still crave precision - that certainly should be toward the top of your list. You own several other Kreisel subs though so perhaps cost is a bit less of a concern for you. If so then sticking with the brand has its advantages as you can match the sound signature easily. With that said...

No matter which route you chose to pursue you would have to integrate 3 different subwoofers into the same system, something that would require a lot of time, effort and skill to do successfully. That may be something within your ability but I don't know if it would be worth the trouble, the differences between the products could result in an uneven blend no matter how much experience you have in that area. If you're looking for more midbass, and can get KK subs for a more reasonable price, what about adding another 12012? If they were stacked that would add roughly 6dB to the entire frequency range, an increase that should be audible.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello Jim,

After reading your replies I think I can pass on the 8's.

Yes, It is an original MX-350 from about 12 years ago...I can't say that I have dialed them both in yet, but I am working on it and I am open to suggestions.

Another 12012 would be great, but they are almost impossible to find. The one I have I bought used from a guy that bought it in Germany, then he moved to the USA and had the power converted by a professional audio repair store. I don't think they sold in the USA.

I am glad you brought this up, as down the road I was looking at adding the sealed Rythmik F18. The rep there told me that a each dual 12 M&K would equate to about one of their 15's...I thought the two dual M&K's would blend with one 18.

I appreciate you input.

I assume you would pass on adding the sealed Rythmik 18 too?

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yes, It is an original MX-350 from about 12 years ago...I can't say that I have dialed them both in yet, but I am working on it and I am open to suggestions.
The sound signatures, components and technology differences (and age) between the MX-350 and 12012 will likely make a seamless integration rather difficult. That's why I was impressed you had pulled it off, or at least are close to doing it. :T

Another 12012 would be great, but they are almost impossible to find. The one I have I bought used from a guy that bought it in Germany, then he moved to the USA and had the power converted by a professional audio repair store. I don't think they sold in the USA.
The 12012 and 808 did sell in the US but they were niche products. Now that's perhaps even more so as KK hasn't updated them in years, and I'm not even sure they have much of a distribution network (if they do it must be very small). TBH, that might be the answer to your question; if the subs are very hard to find and there's a question about support - and even the solvency of the company (because you have to sell product to stay in business) - maybe it's time to consider options? Perhaps Ken has other avenues he derives income from, and maybe his subs are huge outside the US, but it doesn't seem as though the market here would sustain a business.

I am glad you brought this up, as down the road I was looking at adding the sealed Rythmik F18. The rep there told me that a each dual 12 M&K would equate to about one of their 15's...I thought the two dual M&K's would blend with one 18.
I think the person you spoke with at Rythmik is probably being a bit generous with their assessment of the output potential from a single 12012. Since the drivers are in effect acting as an isobaric pairing their output does not double in the traditional sense so it's not like the typical dual-driver configuration. Based upon my experience I'm not sure the 12012 would match the Rythmik 15" subwoofers (I owned an E15HP for several years so I do have first hand knowledge with that particular model).

I assume you would pass on adding the sealed Rythmik 18 too?
Adding? Yes, I would pass on that option. But replacing outright? There's a compelling argument to be made for that. Rythmik and KK produce very clean and articulate subwoofers so if you did opt to make a switch it's not like you would be sacrificing sound quality in the process.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I will say the customer service from Ken Kreisel is top notch. He still helps people with his older products. I know he is selling a full brand new speaker line including subs in foreign markets.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Now that you mention it I do recall seeing a press release not to long ago about the new line. I think they're popular in some of the Asian countries.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Ken is soon revamping his website featuring his new products.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

21 - 32 of 32 Posts