Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my Home Theater. My initial plan didn't involve video, but some friends urged me to create a space for college football viewing - glad they did. My local dealer sold me his demo Runco RS-1100 (had about 300 hours on it) for an unbelievable price and he talked me into the Stewart Filmscreen - glad he did. The whole room is encased in foam and I've taken measures to reduce as much sound leakage as I could. Being in a separate structure from the house (above a detached garage) helps dramatically. My only regret is that I didn't build a wider garage, thus enabling a wider room. Still, a 92" screen isn't too shabby.

a rather old photo with the screen down - groovin' with the King :D
985.jpg

a photo of the current rig
IMG_0383.JPG

one of the subs hiding in the corners
IMG_0271.jpg

one of the rears
IMG_0382.JPG

the projector
IMG_0380.JPG

the screen
IMG_0381.JPG

the seating
IMG_0377.JPG

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Wow. Looks nice. I like the overall look. I agree with your statement - 92" screen isn't too shabby. :)
I am sure watching football on that screen will be very enjoyable.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Nice setup and Awesome Projector!

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Great setup. Lucky steal on the Runco.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the positive comments. As I sailed past 50, I figured it was time for a dedicated audio room. My original plan was for nothing more than a nice stereo (getting that out of the living room pleased my wife), a comfortable chair and some exercise equipment. I blew my original budget by a huge margin, but we only live once.:bigsmile: I had my sights for the video components set far lower at the outset, but my local dealer made me an offer I couldn't refuse on the Runco projector - would you believe $3500? It was less than a year old, but the RS-1100 was being discontinued and he wanted to mount a current product in his demo room. Since his demo room had a Stewart Filmscreen and I thought the image was to die for, I figured I'd go for broke (paid more for the screen than the projector) and I have absolutely no regrets.

I had to reduce the exercise equipment to a Water Rower (you can see part of it to the right of the seats) and the big ball, but that's pretty much enough - gives me a great workout. Behind the smaller door is a half bath, which is convenient. Behind the rug on the wall is the window that building code required (between the rug and the window is acoustic foam).

No matter how well I think I plan projects, I always forget things or make mistakes. That room is full of evidence of that fact, but it's a great space - the product of decades of dreaming and saving. Like most of us, I was also forced to compromise in order to keep the costs from running away too badly. Regardless, it was a lot of fun and I'm especially proud of my DIY cabinetry (warts and all). I built the bottom, center shelf of that rack to show off the main amp, which became this piece of eye candy (trust me when I say it's ear candy too).

IMG_8605.JPG

Yes, the subs are Def Tech SuperCube Refs and they dig deep (measured in room -3dB point is 16Hz) with serious authority. Not only that, but they work very well as audio subs. In fact, I use a crossover (Bryston 10B Sub) to direct the bottom end away from the Maggies and to the subs. Thanks to REW (which is what brought me to this website), I managed to get the bass clean and strong. Well, I should also give credit to ASC for the sub-traps and bass-traps.

The center seat has a built-in shaker, which I wasn't too enthusiastic about until I experienced it. It's not ridiculous at all. It's actually pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
A myth? :ponder: Eh, I'm not so sure that synthetic fibers in carpet are completely innocuous, but at $5 a pop (I bought the Lapp porcelain insulators from an electrical supply house), who cares? They add to the mystique and they yell, "Don't step on the speaker cables!" Since my speaker cables have the 72V Dielectric Bias System, contact with the carpet would likely be even less of a concern.

I don't mind if you think I'm crazy (I freely admit it). I also took measures to segregate my signal wires from the power cables. I even terminated my three dedicated lines in the floor beneath removable panels. Here's a shot with one of the panels removed (behind the power conditioner for the subs and digital stuff).

IMG_9143.jpg

It might be a bit more clear what's going on back there if I show a picture of a power cable or two disappearing beneath the panels.

IMG_6400.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi kevin, those gears are to die for...the amp is definitely an eye candy:)
What are those white standing cylinders, acoustic panel?
U too, have a very nice shelf

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. I lucked into the amp and then into an upgrade by the manufacturer. It's not only pretty; it's a very sweet amplifier that makes beautiful music with the Magnepans.

Those cylinders are ASC Tube Traps and the subs are resting on ASC Sub Traps. It was a built from scratch room (over a detached garage) and I used a calculator to minimize bass problems as much as I could, but I still had some issues in the 70-300Hz range. The traps help.

I'm happy with the equipment rack, warts and all - I'm a bit of a hack when it comes to building things, but I have fun. When my tube phono preamp project turned sour, I moved the turntable back to the bedroom system temporarily - a year later, it's still there. Most of the shelving in the back of the room is for records (the few I have left), but I do have enough room for my concert DVDs & BluRays. All of the movies are in the bedroom with the other stereo.

I could have skipped the wallboard and just painted the blown foam to look like rock for a more convincing man cave.:laugh:
IMG_5668 - Copy.jpg

·
Registered
240 Posts
Congrats Kevin.............this is an amazing room!

Man and all those toys.................but, the amp my friend..........that thing is just sexy!!!

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The room was a fun project, but it was fast paced. That opened the door to errors and oversights. The photo of the rolled up filmscreen hides a comedy of errors in plain sight. I ran PVC from behind the projector mounting boards to the front wall for the HDMI cables, but I completely forgot about the pick wire for the screen. It's red wire because I got if from the alarm guy on the morning that the drywall guys did their thing. If I had cut the power wire for the screen a half inch shorter before re-terminating it, it wouldn't have reached the outlet. The mounting ears for the screen made the assembly almost an inch wider than the spec sheet from which I sized the ceiling (model update) - had to modify them to make the screen fit. Man, I could go on and on... Still, it was fun and I'm very happy with the results (warts and all).

As for the amp, I had a moment of weakness.:) Actually, adding the crossover in search of better bass integration changed my power requirements and I really wanted to try a valve amp. I held on to the big Pass amp for about 9 months before letting it go - hated to sell it. That VAC amp sounds as good as it looks - great stuff designed by a really nice guy.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wasn't registered here at the time, nor was I even aware of this site. Yeah, I suppose my head was under a rock, but life happens. That's a good thing, really - I hope life keeps on happening.

REW brought me here. It proved to be so useful that it seemed rude not to contribute to its support. Still, I only passingly perused this site (which was a bit rude in a different way). A post on another forum directed me here to vote for the Magnepan 1.7s to be entered in the current $2500 sampling. I poked around a bit deeper and found so many amazing builds - really fun to see and read about the progressions.

These threads are loaded with ingenuity and creativity. Lots and lots of amazing rooms.

The first amp in my room was a Pass X350. It's an elegantly simple design, but it did have a beautiful face - and sound to match. I almost went for a pair of XA monos, but answered the call of the tubes instead. I still have an X150 for the rear channels.

I think my wife grew tired of this in the living room.

AVsystem2.jpg

The speakers were a DIY project (not the center) and they're currently in a bedroom. The TV is on the cabinet now and there's a soundbar with sub. There is decorative furniture where there was once audio gear. I have a room to go nuts in - and I did.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great dedicated room, Kevin. No reason an "audio first" setup can't also be a great place to watch movies, TV, etc! I don't know much about tube gear, but I'll agree, that amp looks beautiful.
Thanks. The focus was definitely on audio, but it is the best place I've ever had for movie watching - by far. The distance from the seats to the screen is a bit much for the screen size, but nobody has complained (except my son). Over the weekend, I added another component - a preamp between the crossover and the subs. That solved my need for being able to remotely control the level of the subs. Idiot me, the solution was right in front of me, but I didn't see it - someone on another forum recommended it. I had an Acurus RL11 sitting in a closet, collecting dust - what a waste!

As with so many setups, mine keeps nudging closer and closer to where I want it. I doubt it will ever get there, but the journey is half the fun.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts