Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here we go. I decided to scrap my HT & Lounge build and start fresh. I will keep the plans and framing from the rest of the basement. All changes will be in the HT area. The area that I have is contingent on the design i choose. The dimensions will be 16-18' X 20-23'. Attached is the plan I have to work with. There are 3 load bearing poles with the HVAC trunk line that needs to be dealt with.

One thought that I have is to put the screen wall right in front of the poles and that would give me the area under the trunk line/between the poles to put the speakers using an AT screen.

Another obstacle is that I need to have access to the stairs and on the drawing where I have the two doors. I would like to keep access to both but I have to keep it to the door (on same side as stairs)

My soundproofing plan is moving forward as planned with Ted.

I would love and really appreciate and guidance/suggestions. I am going to draw and scan some ideas, I have had enough of my limited abilities w/ software programs.

I am really looking forward to this new plan, even if it is a ton of work. I will now have a true HT...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I could also put the screen on the wall with the alcove and the seats backed up to the poles.

Has anyone incorporated a design where the poles are actually in the room possibly to the sides of the chairs. I have'nt found much in the way of this.

I still like the idea of using the room under the trunk line and between the poles to be the back of the stage behind the screen.

I really want to maximize my space, and have everything symmetrical so that I can do columns and/or sconces.

I am also going to do a star ceiling DIY of course to keep costs down.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this was the first design I thought of when I decided to go with the dedicated HT and not the open floor plan. I know it is chicken scratch, sorry.

With this plan the bottom of the stairs would have a small hallway going left and right, this would insure there was only one door leading into the HT.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The room would be 18ft to the screen wall, 20-22ft to the back of the room (under the HVAC) where the LCR will be. Width would be about 16.5'. This would be more than enough for two rows of three with a riser, steps on both sides.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions for the size of the star ceiling, I am going to run soffits around the perimeter of the room but would like to have an idea on what size to make them.

My ceiling is pretty decent at 8'7".

Also, I now have two registers servicing the room, straight 10 ft runs right off of the main trunk line. I believe that two will be enough but I do not have a return. Is the purpose of the "dead vent" for the return?

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
I think the beam and poles would be best up front if at all possible. It will pull the screen wall out quite a bit but makes the seating area better IMO. Don't go too far with the soffits - just enough to run what you need to around the room. Maybe leave 1' around the perimeter to the starfield to also allow for some crown mold and uplighting around the perimeter.

Bryan

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are the preliminary floor plans. Any and all ideas/comments are welcome.

This is the general layout with chairs. I like the symmetry of two rows of 3. I could get 4 across and still have steps on both sides but that seems a bit crowded. Not sure on the riser height yet, will plan later.

Here is the layout with columns. I may place the back columns at each corner and make bass traps. I enjoy wood working and am tryiing to figure out a color scheme, probably going to be black and brown(s), the cabinets will be walnut. I have alot of walnut in my father in-laws shop. The stage and screen wall is probably going to be trimmed out in walnut also. Still up in the air. Going with a DIY star ceiling, I am just starting to go thru some threads on folks that have done it and gather some info, soffit will have crown and up lighting. I have two AC supplies which run from the trunk line (to the left of the screen wall) to the back of the room. Dead vent in back right side as a return.

And this is the 1st lighting plan. Not sure yet how I am going to work in the soffit and the can lights up front shining on the stage. To be continued.....

Thoughts/Comments???

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Keep those seats as far forward as you can without getting into the 40-60% zone.

Bryan

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I may go with something like this so that I do not have a hallway at the bottom of the stairs

The two boxes in the adjacent room will be the equipment rack and the blue one is the deadvent. This is an updated room spec

I did not add a door as I was waiting for some guidance on where to place it. Also the seating is still up in the air. I would probably want a couch/loveseat configuration in the rear row and the reclining seats up front.

@Spaceman - The stage looks great. I love the curved look.

Thanks all for your comments. I will continue to finalize plans and post as I do. Please keep the comments coming,

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
While I am moving forward with the new plans I also started a little demo. I took the riser apart, I managed to salvage most of the treated 2x6's. I don't know if I will need them but I didnt want to just toss them. I cant convey how relieved and pleased I am with the changes. I am just glad it was not too late. The demo...........

I did save all of the fiberglass insulation, that will come in handy real soon.

Tearing this down and moving a wall is going to require that I make some modifications to my electrical runs, but nothing major. I will also have to reposition the ceiling fan in the adjacent room.

More this weekend.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I don't understand why you want the poles behind the screen. I can understand a space for speakers to be behind the screen & out of sight, but if this scetch is to scale, that looks like about 4 feet of space. That is a significant waste when you consider that you need about that much space behind the rear seats acoustically. I think it would be better to turn the room around, if you still want a screen wall you can have one, just doesn't need to be that deep. More sq ft in a theater is always a bonus. Let me know your thoughts as to why you like the room that way.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't understand why you want the poles behind the screen. I can understand a space for speakers to be behind the screen & out of sight, but if this scetch is to scale, that looks like about 4 feet of space. That is a significant waste when you consider that you need about that much space behind the rear seats acoustically. I think it would be better to turn the room around, if you still want a screen wall you can have one, just doesn't need to be that deep. More sq ft in a theater is always a bonus. Let me know your thoughts as to why you like the room that way.
Hey Tonto, thanks for chiming in. Like you said it comes down to space. If I flipped the room then the seating would be just in front of the poles, there is no logical/aesthetically pleasing way to incorporate the seats in between the poles so that leaves me with a room with 18' length. Add in that I would have to build the stage on the other side where there is no space to place the speakers behind then I would have to come out 2 - 3'. That would leave me with 15 - 16' ft from screen to back wall. That is quite a bit shorter than the plan that I have now, which would place the screen wall right in front of the poles with the speakers in between the poles. That gives me around 17'6", so I gain more length this way.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got quite a bit done today. First I took some chestnut oak to the sawmill that I use. I may use this for my baseboard in the rest of the basement, not sure yet.

A little demo as well....

And then a bit of cleaning. I will be framing the theater wall in the a.m.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A good long day on the basement today. More demo, taking out all of the A/V cable runs. And I finally have an exact room dimension. HT is 19'10" x 16' x 8'8". I had to do some serious calculating to make it work but I didnt want to fall into that width and 2x the ceiling height bpape warned me about. And this gives me plenty of room for the columns on both sides of the room.

This pile got bigger and bigger.....

These are the archways I had in the original plan, I really loved the look but I just knew that I would regret not having a single dedicated room, with all of the acoustic benefits of that room

And then........

And now.....

This is the back wall of the theater, I still have to frame the right wall.

AT screen will go right in front of the poles

1 - 20 of 119 Posts