Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

181 - 200 of 365 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
:eek:
Hmmm...interesting suggestions! I'll be playing around with firing the 12012 into the wall, rather than aimed at the couch. Last time I attempted this, I "felt" the bass to be coupled better in my room. In that case I used several stereo recording of classical pieces to make my decision. Now, however, I have XTZ and the Audyssey Sound Equalizer to aid in finding the more appropriate location. There are many schools of thought on sub placement, but a few of them (including Ken) see corner/wall placement to have the best overall time domain response.

My only concern involves my bass traps somehow impeding the 12012s output if the sub is placed in close proximity to them. I suppose I'll have to check the overall output with XTZ of the 12012 right next to the bass trap, and further along the wall. I have precious few adequate spots to place the sub!

Another question for the fellow users here: Has anyone adjusted their variable phase knob on the DXD in conjunction with their preamp/receivers distance controls? Some phase knobs only operate at a narrow frequency, while others operate along the full response of the subs output. I'm unsure which the DXD operates at. I would assume the DXDs' entire "phase" shifts below the selected crossover frequency that the user selects on the sub itself...
I ran into similar setup obstacles with my bass trap in the corner that sounds best in my room for subs, my previous MX150 mk2 was about 12" from the rear wall and about 11" from the side wall and the 24x24x4 open back bass trap was 18" off the floor across the corner. This did wonders for the 50hz bump in my room! and I had no plans to change it, well the addition of the Marantz 8801 and the upgrade to the DXD12012 would soon change that. I went all in and placed the 12012 in the corner at 6" from the rear wall and 2.5" from the side wall in the right front corner of my room, now this meant the bass trap had to be placed behind the right front speaker where it continued to help for my 2/ch habit I can't let go of :dumbcrazy: So there is the first win, now after fine tuning the 12012 for music without the aid of DRC (Audyssey) I ran the calibration and viola! I have clean, visceral ,articulate and deep, deep bass that locks onto the room and delivers a tympani strike that is very realistic in tone and decay. The most amazing thing is the lower strings and blat form brass that the DXD's are capable of reproducing with the same level of reproduction of a well designed midrange driver :gulp: Yes its that accurate and quick enough that it almost boggles the mind :eek: As you can tell I'm a huge fan of multi/ch classical sacd :Tand its how and what my setup is configured to reproduce well first , this by default has always yielded fantastic movie playback as well.

Bottom line! lose the panel or move it completely away from the corner as the DXD12012 loves its space floor to ceiling. And on the phase , I'd leave it alone if using DRC.

Hope this helps!

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
I think Ken has built some very adaptable subs within the DXD range which are very good with placement but as stated by himself for optimal performance corner placement is the ideal location for the subs to go for and require the sub to fire into the wall, just like the MX5100SF before this gives stunning performance by coupling to the room as if the sub and room were one, but the DXD's being side firing instead!

As Audiofan1 has noted I would leave the phase well alone, unless using 2 subs in different locations it may then come into use.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Upon receiving my DXD-12012 I played with the phase knob to try and align the sub to the mains a little better. Ultimately I settled on keeping the controls on the green dots and haven't looked back since. Who here has a DUO setup? I'm curious to read the opinions of someone who lived with a single DXD for a while, then added a second to make the DUO setup. Hearing the changes by upgrading to the DUO and its benefits first-hand would be interesting!

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Best sub! I still can't believe I got the opportunity to own one. Thank you Shack!
Yes, very lucky man indeed asere, saying that The Shack is one of the best forums on the net, letting people enjoy there hobby properly with enthusiasts and not corrupted by other vested interests like some other forums are unfortunately :T

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yes, very lucky man indeed asere, saying that The Shack is one of the best forums on the net, letting people enjoy there hobby properly with enthusiasts and not corrupted by other vested interests like some other forums are unfortunately :T
+ 1 to that recruit its refreshingly good to hear owners views and discussions uninterrupted with drivel

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Speaking of serious bass, I have just been listening to Nine Inch Nails album Hesitation Marks in 24bit 96khz and it has some very deep bass, in fact it may be not be everyone's cup of tea so to speak but it is just incredible how articulate the DXD808 sounds, with each pulsating note taking hold of you and going through you and my sofa :hsd:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Speaking of serious bass, I have just been listening to Nine Inch Nails album Hesitation Marks in 24bit 96khz and it has some very deep bass, in fact it may be not be everyone's cup of tea so to speak but it is just incredible how articulate the DXD808 sounds, with each pulsating note taking hold of you and going through you and my sofa :hsd:
Groovy! Has anyone here changed the default bass setting in their DXD from the "THX" rolloff to the flat setting inside the plate amp? I understand there are dip switches inside for this function-similar to the toggle switch on the back of the M&K subs (MX-350,, MX-5100, etc)... I have mine set to the "THX" rolloff.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Groovy! Has anyone here changed the default bass setting in their DXD from the "THX" rolloff to the flat setting inside the plate amp? I understand there are dip switches inside for this function-similar to the toggle switch on the back of the M&K subs (MX-350,, MX-5100, etc)... I have mine set to the "THX" rolloff.
I have mine set as it came when new, so have not changed anything, I do not feel the need to, saying that when I had my MX5100SF I always had it set to the THX setting anyway and felt that it gave the best response when playing around with the settings.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi Guys
Things have been quiet for a while so I thought Id post a question or 2

So far I have been unsuccessful in selling my MK Sound MX-350's ( Thought I had but deal fell through, long story )

What would your view be of running mixed subs?

I am sure I read somewhere not to use different models of subs in your setup, but how much of a mistake would that be?

Keeping what I have and perhaps adding 2 KK-2012's would be the ideal solution to not loosing money on my original subwoofers, but obviously not at the risk of degrading the performance of the system as a whole

Thanks in advance
Andy

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Hi Guys
Things have been quiet for a while so I thought Id post a question or 2

So far I have been unsuccessful in selling my MK Sound MX-350's ( Thought I had but deal fell through, long story )

What would your view be of running mixed subs?

I am sure I read somewhere not to use different models of subs in your setup, but how much of a mistake would that be?

Keeping what I have and perhaps adding 2 KK-2012's would be the ideal solution to not loosing money on my original subwoofers, but obviously not at the risk of degrading the performance of the system as a whole

Thanks in advance
Andy
I own one 12012 and a Hsu vtf3 mk4. I tried to use both but end result I was not happy with the combination because the 12012 had more mid bass but was lost combining. Now I'm back to just the 12012. Also KK has a trade in program you could try.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I own one 12012 and a Hsu vtf3 mk4. I tried to use both but end result I was not happy with the combination because the 12012 had more mid bass but was lost combining. Now I'm back to just the 12012. Also KK has a trade in program you could try.
Thanks for the reply which unfortunately confirms my fears that the different models would be detrimental to each other :hissyfit:

Being UK based the KK trade in program does not apply here or it might have been an ideal solution :crying:

Thanks again
Andy

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Thanks for the reply which unfortunately confirms my fears that the different models would be detrimental to each other :hissyfit:

Being UK based the KK trade in program does not apply here or it might have been an ideal solution :crying:

Thanks again
Andy
You could call and ask but shipping will get you.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Lets be honest L-sound are a bit er useless promoting the brand here as well eh?

I wish more manufacturers offered the trade in over here(uk) as well would save a lot of hassle.
Well KK could not have had a better dealer than FH in the UK, also L-sound's pricing seems more expensive than when FH was selling the brand (Might have been a promotional price) I suppose they have to cover the "Free delivery" and exchange rate somehow

Don't get me wrong L-sound is a good company, I've used them before, and you can't beat their 45 day return policy
As good as these Subs are anyone will tell you should demo any equipment at this price point which is now not possible in the UK

The trade in is a brilliant option, and apparently very generous, which makes a refreshing change, so hats off to Ken for offering that even though it only applies to the USA

181 - 200 of 365 Posts