Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

201 - 220 of 365 Posts

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,301 Posts
I will soon be a member of this thread, as I've just purchased a pair of DXD-808s.
Congrats on your new toys! After they're tuned and broken in be sure to come back and post your assessment. Others will no doubt benefit from your experience.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,301 Posts
I will Jim. Thanks for the congratulations. Are you still using your review pair? or did you send them back?
They went back quite a while ago. A pair certainly changes the experience; a single didn't really do it for me, but two of them was quite impressive. How large is your room?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The room is around 1950 cu ft. with an opening on the right long side. I don't listen too loud, so hopefully the pair of 808s will do alright. My last sub was a HSU VTF-2, so almost anything will be an improvement. I'm using a borrowed down-firing 12" home brew until the new ones arrive. What are you using now in your room?

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,301 Posts
How would you describe the difference between the single vs the stacked pair in your room?
A single wasn't quite sufficient to achieve the level of output I was looking for, but stack them and it changed everything. It's pretty common knowledge that having more than one subwoofer placed in various locations around a room will even out the sound distribution (assuming they're placed in the appropriate locations, of course). For me, however, I wanted to have a "wall of sound" instead, and stacking them helped me achieve that. With the side drivers firing into the wall I had all the output one could hope for from 8" drivers, while also retaining the lightning quick reflexes the 808 is known for.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I guess I'll find out first hand soon. I understand that they take at least 25 hours to break in, so I'll be patient with my first impressions.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Got duo kk12012, any of u add another sub to make rumble and chest feel?
Are you saying you have a duo? and if so how do you have them placed ? I have a single 12012 corner loaded as Ken recommends and get some good concrete vibrations and chest hits ! but I will add a second soon for the 3dPulsar effect :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes stack with corner loaded,but no chest hits. May I know what is ur setting thx.
My setting is all gain at green position.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes stack with corner loaded,but no chest hits. May I know what is ur setting thx.
My setting is all gain at green position.
I'm using all the green dots except the gain, which I had to lower for Audyssey XT32 on my Marantz 8801, I run my mains full range , center small 80hz and surrounds small 80hz. What pre/processor or receiver do you use and what crossover from the speakers are you using? also whats the room size, is it the best corner for your sub? have you tried moving them or separating them?

Lot of questions but more info will help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Haven't had much time to dial them in, and they've only got a few hours on them but my DUO pair of DXD-808s are pretty impressive. If someone can tell me how to post photos here, I'll put up an in room response from REW. So far it looks like I've got response down to about 11Hz. I wonder how that will change as it breaks in.

Russ

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks Guys. I seem to have injured my hearing last weekend running sound for a brass band (I measured 112dB at one point). Didn't get my plugs in in time and my left ear is really been ringing. As a result, I haven't listened to much music the last few days. What I have heard has been tight and well defined in the bass. I'll have more time this weekend to run more measurements. Hopefully by then the ringing will be back to the normal baseline. Protect your hearing guys.

Russ

201 - 220 of 365 Posts