Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

341 - 360 of 365 Posts

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Never knew that. What does he say about not stacking them? Putting them in different locations for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As far as I know he has never said not to. He just always member to place them stacked in a corner primarily a back corner away from openings. That way you get the 3D pulsar effect that he designed.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Well, if there's a function that's built in to the design, you might as well do what you can. I'm not super familiar with KK's designs so I don't know about the 3D pulsar thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I've been watching more and more movies and the subs deliver fantastically. I get the tactile feeling at MLP like never before. I just can't go to loud because I get a pop sound but only from time to time depending on the material and only happens with audyssey engaged.
I had the same issue with one sub and thought two would take care of that but I guess not.
I'm thinking audyssey is boosting something somehow.
I do have the Onkyo 805 and that could be the issue since it's old without DEQ compared to a newer receiver that has DEQ.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I ran REW because one of my dxd 12012 had less output then the other I figured one fuse was bad. Each dxd had 2 amps and 2 fuses. The fuses are ok because I checked them.
Ken asked me to hear the subs for 2 sounds as each amp powers on and off I should be able to hear 2 sounds. With the bad sub I only hear 1 thump not like the other that has 2 thumps.
Having said that can one amp be bad since I only hear one thump even if the fuses are ok?
Again per Ken I should be able to hear 2 thumps as the subs power on and off.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,280 Posts
You can absolutely have a bad amp with a good fuse. There's a whole lot that can go wrong when amplifying a signal.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I checked the cables from the amp to the drivers and they were connected. I even played music and both drivers were vibrating.

If you have been inside the amp to check the cables you should have been able to check the internal fuses.
Did you do this?

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Now Ken mentioned that a fuse can look good but still be bad. Has anyone experienced this before?

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,280 Posts
Now Ken mentioned that a fuse can look good but still be bad. Has anyone experienced this before?
I have. To know for sure you need to check it with a meter because the wire can appear intact, when in reality it's not.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I have. To know for sure you need to check it with a meter because the wire can appear intact, when in reality it's not.
From what I've read using ohm meter I need to place the meter on the highest setting of 200m and with the fuse taken out measure the fuse, correct?

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,280 Posts
From what I've read using ohm meter I need to place the meter on the highest setting of 200m and with the fuse taken out measure the fuse, correct?
Most meters have a setting for continuity, sometimes called a diode test. It usually has an audio tone when you have a complete circuit. That's what I use on my Fluke.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Most meters have a setting for continuity, sometimes called a diode test. It usually has an audio tone when you have a complete circuit. That's what I use on my Fluke.
I did continuity and it beeped and the numbers fluctuated really fast up and down.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Not sure why the numbers would fluctuate, but you won't hear a beep on an open circuit so the fuse is good.
I checked the wires again and nothing is loose. I contacted the amp manufacturer and waiting to hear back.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Ok guys, I recently bought a second dxd-12012 to get the 3D effect. I placed them stacked and ran REW. Sure enough the new sub had a much better output. I did the test combined and separate. In fact the newer one has better output than when it was combined.
I did the test by turning the subs on and off to hear each amp come on and off as each sub has 2 amps.
Anyhow it turned out all this time one of the subs driver wasn't on because the amp was not working. Fuses all look good too.
When I had the one sub it always lost output and I blamed it on room size. Having the second one to compare I have really missed out all this time. Thankfully the amp is going to be serviced.

341 - 360 of 365 Posts