Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 365 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Another new shack member here, Quattro 12012 owner checking in from the UK nearly 15 months of ownership and loving every minute spent with them. Originally started with a duo setup but wasn't long before I'd added another 2. Eagerly awaiting more details on the new / next range of speakers…

BT
Welcome you lucky lucky man! :)

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Another new shack member here, Quattro 12012 owner checking in from the UK nearly 15 months of ownership and loving every minute spent with them. Originally started with a duo setup but wasn't long before I'd added another 2. Eagerly awaiting more details on the new / next range of speakers…

BT
Welcome 13T, you lucky man, good to see you, and well and truly addicted to bass :T

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the welcome guys. I look forward to reading everyone's experiences with these awesome subs. I'm slowly working my way through a backlog of recent releases so a bit behind the latest stuff I'll try and post my thoughts as I go along

BT

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
I don't know about you chaps but I have a massive catalog of very good demo material which I have found the new DXD subs absolutely lap up, and make it sound even better than I have heard on previous subs and that includes Ken's previous M&K subs, not sure if it is worth listing here but it is mostly music with lots of great bass, if anyone is interested?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't know about you chaps but I have a massive catalog of very good demo material which I have found the new DXD subs absolutely lap up, and make it sound even better than I have heard on previous subs and that includes Ken's previous M&K subs, not sure if it is worth listing here but it is mostly music with lots of great bass, if anyone is interested?
Yes John, I'd definitely be interested! :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Grats on the Quattro 12012! That must be immense, very jealous. Where abouts in the UK are you located?

I would love a good demo list recruit, maybe you could edit the second post in this thread and turn it into a demo material post ? I might have a good few suggestions!

Its been great to have so many people come out the woodwork to post in this thread, I was not expecting it when I opened it!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Just knowing what's on tap and going through a great deal to get the foundation of my setup as best I could , playing a movie back at reference in the past would indeed be loud with various peaks due to some area's being out of proportion to those that where up to the task! After leveling the playing field (DXD being one of the upgrades) its like taking sports car with 200mph capabilities to the autobahn to cut lose after being confined to day to day driving. I only go reference on a first run of a release I've wanted to see as I may visit the local cinema at best twice a year. Most movies I watch at around -13-17 depending on content. My primary listening is late nights with classical or jazz at around -35 to -29. so when the weekend comes its time for fun.

As a side note not all movies are recorded the same and some absolutely shine at reference and the current on the top of that list is "Oblivion" .
I 100% agree that some movies are louder than others, and the kit you have makes a big difference to how loud you can go before it sounds awful. I used to find -20 for films loud with my old kit but now I can go to -10 and its not uncomfortably loud. Lord of the rings is a film I find is mixed loudly, where as "flight" I could have at -10 and it didn't seem loud at all. I am really looking forward to Oblivion, its on my LOVEfilm list as we speak!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Grats on the Quattro 12012! That must be immense, very jealous. Where abouts in the UK are you located?

Its been great to have so many people come out the woodwork to post in this thread, I was not expecting it when I opened it!
Live in the Channel Islands. I've been lurking around a few forums I tend to read rather than post most of the time

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
I would love a good demo list recruit, maybe you could edit the second post in this thread and turn it into a demo material post ? I might have a good few suggestions!
Yes, for some strange reason I cannot edit atm, I have just PM'd admin to ask for this to be looked at, so that I can slot it in :scratch:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the list Recruit I'll be checking some of them out in due course. Dolby - The sound of High Definition 3 BD some great clips on there Art of Flight being a favorite of mine awesome track for demo purposes.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Thanks for the list Recruit I'll be checking some of them out in due course. Dolby - The sound of High Definition 3 BD some great clips on there Art of Flight being a favorite of mine awesome track for demo purposes.
No problem, yes the latest Dolby Demo discs are pretty good with Art of Flight being on there, I actually have that, and the 3D is pretty spectacular too.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Ken, when running Audyssey set up is it best to use all different positions or place Mic at main listing position and do all the other positions from there?

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Where do you get the demo discs from?
You can pick up the BD demo discs off of Amazon or EBay, just do a search and it should bring up a list of all different ones, I have many from over the years DTS & Dolby ones, DVD-Audio and SACD can be had but dependant on stock and pricing can range from little to a lot !

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ken, when running Audyssey set up is it best to use all different positions or place Mic at main listing position and do all the other positions from there?
Personally I would measure only at the primary listening position if this is where you sit. There are also a lot of factors at play here concerning how the Audyssey and most of the other auto-calibration systems do their measurements, so I am hesitant to really make any definitive recommendations.

I use my own proprietary computerized TIME DOMAIN studio/room measurement technique with calibrated laboratory grade microphones, and these are the only room measurements I know I can trust. For the home user, I usually recommend buying a separate SPL meter and setting subwoofer levels manually and taking a listen. I have too many emails from people where their auto calibration system does something very very strange to the EQ and they have to turn it off to get good sound...KEN

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I think the biggest issue with Audyssey is users do not take time to get the proper mic and measurement software (such as our free REW) and look at their subwoofer response at their main listening position before using Audyssey. Audyssey does not work well with responses that have large low frequency peaks. Those peaks need to be dealt with, either by moving the sub around, serious bass traps (scopus traps or something that will work down to 30-60Hz), or by using a parametric EQ to remove as much of that peak as possible, then run Audyssey. I actually remove my worst peaks, run Audyssey, and then smooth out what Audyssey doesn't handle as well as I like. To me... the most important response in a home theater is the bass... and I believe it is a necessity to get right for good sound.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Personally I would measure only at the primary listening position if this is where you sit. There are also a lot of factors at play here concerning how the Audyssey and most of the other auto-calibration systems do their measurements, so I am hesitant to really make any definitive recommendations.

I use my own proprietary computerized TIME DOMAIN studio/room measurement technique with calibrated laboratory grade microphones, and these are the only room measurements I know I can trust. For the home user, I usually recommend buying a separate SPL meter and setting subwoofer levels manually and taking a listen. I have too many emails from people where their auto calibration system does something very very strange to the EQ and they have to turn it off to get good sound...KEN
Thank you! I have tried using an spl and did not like it. I like Audyssey better. I will calibrate all 6 positions only at main listening position.
What difference should I notice from calibrating at all positions vs only at main position?

61 - 80 of 365 Posts