Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

81 - 100 of 365 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
A single one here, hoping to make it a Duo at some point in the future and that will be my bass nirvana for me :)

http://s182.photobucket.com/user/recruit1971/media/newiphone4s008_zpsa6530d2c.jpg.html

Demo List

DVD-Audio & SACD's

Herbie Hancock - Gershwins World SACD 5.1
The Band - The Last Waltz DVD-Audio 5.1
Train my Private Nation - SACD 5.1
Steely Dan - Two Against Nature DVD-Audio 5.1
Steely Dan - Gaucho DVD-Audio 5.1
Jean Michelle Jarre Areo - DVD-Audio 5.1
Organ Spectular - DVD-Audio 5.1
Yes - Close to the Edge SACD 5.1
Spyro Gyra - Wrapped in a Dream SACD 5.1
Spyro Gyra - Original Cinema SACD 5.1
Steve Wilson - Grace for Drowning DVD-Audio 5.1
Yello - Touch DVD-Audio 5.1
Yello - Stella DVD-Audio 5.1
Horizon & Friends Late Night Chill out Lounge - SACD 5.1
Randy Newman Little Criminals - DVD-Audio 5.1

Blu Ray Demo

Dolby - The sound of High Definition II BD - Dolby True HD
Dolby - The sound of High Definition 3 BD - Dolby True HD
The Police - Live in Concert - the infamous disc that you all must have by now and one that I have been using when I had the MX5100SF and it sounds even better with the new DXD subs.

This is just a few of my music DVD-Audio's and SACD's which are a few of my favourite since getting the DXD808 but don't forget you can also listen to them in 2 channel as well
Thanks for the list mate, will try to check some of them out. :)

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
No problem Andrew, one of my favorites recently has been Steve Wilson - Grace for Drowning DVD-Audio 5.1, it sounds especially good and the bass has so much energy to it, very good one indeed :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Sigh taking a while to find the funds for a second 808! I think i am settled on a second 808 rather than the upgrade to a 12012, just taking a while to get there! Decided to veto the upgrade for my Onkyo 818 to a emotiva umc200+XPA5 in favor of upgrading the subs.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Sigh taking a while to find the funds for a second 808! I think i am settled on a second 808 rather than the upgrade to a 12012, just taking a while to get there! Decided to veto the upgrade for my Onkyo 818 to a emotiva umc200+XPA5 in favor of upgrading the subs.
Yes, the upgrade of the sub I think will reap you the most satisfaction tbh, I am the same just need to count those pennies again Lol!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I do, but do i have to host it on an external site as it used for a url when i tried to attach it on here? Also what do you think are the benefits of the side driver facing a surface? I know it was designed that way, but why? Does it use the wall as a diafram to bounce the sound off?

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
I do, but do i have to host it on an external site as it used for a url when i tried to attach it on here? Also what do you think are the benefits of the side driver facing a surface? I know it was designed that way, but why? Does it use the wall as a diafram to bounce the sound off?
You do not need to host the pictures on another site, if you scroll down you will see a button that says "Upload and Manage Files and Images" just click on that and upload your picture, it will then be attached to your post.

I think Ken has already made it pretty clear what it does when placing the sub close to the wall, it couples the subwoofer to the room better.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I think Ken has already made it pretty clear what it does when placing the sub close to the wall, it couples the subwoofer to the room better.

"The side of the DXD cabinet with the side driver is designed to be optimally placed 2-4" from the wall, preferably in a good solid corner of the room. For most rooms, I usually recommend first locating the DXD in the closest solid corner to your primary listening position. So, if the closest solid corner (no nearby openings like an open door) is in the back of the room, try it there first. "

It just states the site driver is designed to be placed 2-4" from a wall, i find this interesting as the majority of the articles i've ever read on subwoofer placement state that bass frequencies are omni directional, so if i had a forward firing sub and rotated it. It would still sound the same, its why downwarrd firing or forward firing also makes little difference. So with that i fully understand why the sub should be place in a "good solid corner" to improve its coupling with the room, but what difference will it make rotating it 90 degrees? So the driver is firing ino the room instead of into a wall.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
"The side of the DXD cabinet with the side driver is designed to be optimally placed 2-4" from the wall, preferably in a good solid corner of the room. For most rooms, I usually recommend first locating the DXD in the closest solid corner to your primary listening position. So, if the closest solid corner (no nearby openings like an open door) is in the back of the room, try it there first. "

It just states the site driver is designed to be placed 2-4" from a wall, i find this interesting as the majority of the articles i've ever read on subwoofer placement state that bass frequencies are omni directional, so if i had a forward firing sub and rotated it. It would still sound the same, its why downwarrd firing or forward firing also makes little difference. So with that i fully understand why the sub should be place in a "good solid corner" to improve its coupling with the room, but what difference will it make rotating it 90 degrees? So the driver is firing ino the room instead of into a wall.
That will depend on a multitude of things, like the size of the room / construction type / furnishings / all of these with have there own attenuation on the performance of the sub woofer, but as Ken has already stated his designs are meant for corner placement or near it which is its optimal placement.

·
Registered
110 Posts

And that my friend is the million dollar question and I suspect time domain and group delay ??

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
And that my friend is the million dollar question and I suspect time domain and group delay ??
The time domain and group delay response times will be affected when placed in different locations, usually with the flattest response I would suggest that the group delay and impulse response times are at there best.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The time domain and group delay response times will be affected when placed in different locations, usually with the flattest response I would suggest that the group delay and impulse response times are at there best.
Helps with room modes as well right ?

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Helps with room modes as well right ?
No, room modes are something that is created by the boundaries of the room with the multiples of sign waves forming at certain frequencies which create a room mode, this is why trying to achieve the best location to the nearest corner is recommended to try and achieve the flattest response, your ears are the best measuring device and usually tells you when something does not sound right, and moving the sub can usually make all the difference away from the corner usually helps but still facing the wall.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Thanks for the compliments. In regards to the rotating 90 degrees i think the real answer is only known to ken himself. It makes no difference to the frequency response or time delay.

I have a simulated response for the room. Originally i had the sub in the front right corner under the right speaker, i found it intergrates better in the front left. The simulated response is also much better.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
No, room modes are something that is created by the boundaries of the room with the multiples of sign waves forming at certain frequencies which create a room mode, this is why trying to achieve the best location to the nearest corner is recommended to try and achieve the flattest response, your ears are the best measuring device and usually tells you when something does not sound right, and moving the sub can usually make all the difference away from the corner usually helps but still facing the wall.
Tell me about it I spent the better part of an afternoon fine tuning my DXD down to approximately 6 I/3" from the rear of the wall and 2 3/4 of an inch from the side as I used music to determine the best overall balance, with the M&K MX150 Mk2 it replaced this was not so and it benefited at almost 11" all around in the same corner which I determined many years ago as the best for subs, I hope to get some pics up soon .

81 - 100 of 365 Posts