Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

121 - 140 of 365 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I'm going to check out "Solomon Kane" tonight with my 10th run of Audyssey:coocoo: which had to to first sound good with music and I must say not bad at all :clap: And for the life of me I can't figure out how to get some pic posted :scratch: i tried resizing and now it says the files still to large :crying: I'll keep at though !
I use an I phone and in the options forum posting JPG-smaller attachment quality-tiny resolution works for me. Hope that helps. I also wonder how good Solomon Kane is and do you have the bluray or DVD?

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,301 Posts
Its a shame, i felt it was a huge missed opportunity for the reviewer to do a a b comparison of single vs duo as he had them both there setup.... Oh well, its a shame as the majority of reviewers seemed to do single or quattro and that's a huge price difference! I cant imagine i am the only one wondering about going form a single to a duo.
The reviewer actually did quite a bit of single vs dual comparison, but it was strictly in private. :D

Ken asked that I do the evaluation as a duo, which is what I ultimately published. While I had them I did try it both ways though. Trust me, duals are the way to go; and I'm not just talking about the added 6dB or so output advantage from co-location. The stacked pair take on an entirely different character vis-a-vis a single. Like what one of his subs does for you? Try the duo. You can thank me later... :T

·
Registered
110 Posts
I use an I phone and in the options forum posting JPG-smaller attachment quality-tiny resolution works for me. Hope that helps. I also wonder how good Solomon Kane is and do you have the bluray or DVD?
Thanks! I'll give that a shot, as for Solomon Kane I got the bluray it was just released on Netflix, I hope its as good as the impending hype was for its release. I'm still not sure how I missed it back in 2009.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Thanks! I'll give that a shot, as for Solomon Kane I got the bluray it was just released on Netflix, I hope its as good as the impending hype was for its release. I'm still not sure how I missed it back in 2009.
I will check it out on Netflix then we can buy it if we like it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
The reviewer actually did quite a bit of single vs dual comparison, but it was strictly in private. :D

Ken asked that I do the evaluation as a duo, which is what I ultimately published. While I had them I did try it both ways though. Trust me, duals are the way to go; and I'm not just talking about the added 6dB or so output advantage from co-location. The stacked pair take on an entirely different character vis-a-vis a single. Like what one of his subs does for you? Try the duo. You can thank me later... :T
Very interesting, thanks for your views! Nice to finally speak to someone who has used a duo and single! I wonder why ken asked for no single vs duo and just wanted it to be reviewed as the duo.... Hmm. Why in the review did you use the bass level control on the back of the sub as opposed to the reference level setting?

·
Banned
4,015 Posts

Very interesting, thanks for your views! Nice to finally speak to someone who has used a duo and single! I wonder why ken asked for no single vs duo and just wanted it to be reviewed as the duo.... Hmm. Why in the review did you use the bass level control on the back of the sub as opposed to the reference level setting?
This is exactly why my initials thoughts were to go with a single and then move it on to a DUO so as to benefit from Ken's incredible knowledge and performance increase that it gives ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
I agree recruit, unfortunately i do have to justify my purchases :p the wife kind of notices if £1000+ vanishes from the account lol. So its all about value for money. The good thing is, she was very impressed by the 808 so i am hoping from what has been said she will be even more impressed by the duo and feel it was money well spent!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree recruit, unfortunately i do have to justify my purchases :p the wife kind of notices if £1000+ vanishes from the account lol. So its all about value for money. The good thing is, she was very impressed by the 808 so i am hoping from what has been said she will be even more impressed by the duo and feel it was money well spent!
Well you're ahead of me then mate, my wife thinks mine is an ugly black box and doesn't understand why it has to be so big. :help: :bigsmile:

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
I'm exactly the same as you, and still have to justify what I am spending so no different, now a days money is a lot more restricted than it used to be, so I still have be careful and that is also why I am doing it in stages ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Well you're ahead of me then mate, my wife thinks mine is an ugly black box and doesn't understand why it has to be so big. :help: :bigsmile:
Fortunately my wife is quite accepting of AV Stuff, as long as i am considerate to how the room looks its fine. She enjoys bassy dance music so selling a sub to her is no where near as hard as selling the idea of a projector/big tv! The problem is the whole "but i thought we bought a sub" argument will come in when a second is suggested and kens talk about the 3d push pull array etc may not impress her quite as much as it would impress myself! lol

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,301 Posts
Very interesting, thanks for your views! Nice to finally speak to someone who has used a duo and single! I wonder why ken asked for no single vs duo and just wanted it to be reviewed as the duo.... Hmm.
The easiest way for me to answer this one would be to say; once you hear the duo you'll know why he asked me to test it that way. :T If you notice, a lot of the KK sub reviews are like that - there's at least a duo being tested. Having first hand experience with a single and a pair I do understand why he suggests that configuration.

FWIW, Bag End - another company that makes studio monitor quality products - is similar. I have an ID18 Pro that will be reviewed in the not too distant future. Their chief of engineering flat out told me they recommend nothing less than duals, and having spent a little time with this one I understand his position. Ken is slightly different though; he strongly suggests duals, but doesn't require them. The reasoning behind their respective philosophies is probably similar.

Why in the review did you use the bass level control on the back of the sub as opposed to the reference level setting?
Simply because I wanted a bit more out of the subs. I try to leave the AVR output level at 0dB and use the gain on the sub to tailor the response. If you turn the AVR output up much beyond 0dB you have a greater potential to introduce distortion than if you turn up the amplifier itself, so I always opt to tune via the sub controls.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
It is never recommended to take the trim level on the processor side into the + figures as you will run the risk of introducing distortion, but in theory every room is different and requires different settings to obtain the necessary 75db SPL how you get to this magic number can be done in many ways, but I would always suggest an SPL meter as a basic requirement ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Simply because I wanted a bit more out of the subs. I try to leave the AVR output level at 0dB and use the gain on the sub to tailor the response. If you turn the AVR output up much beyond 0dB you have a greater potential to introduce distortion than if you turn up the amplifier itself, so I always opt to tune via the sub controls.
This doesn't make perfect sense to me. According to Kens answers i am sure he said in order for the subs to be perfectly matched ina DUO or QUATTRO stack, it is better to use the green dot position as then they will be perfectly matched. If you use the bass level dial 0db on one is not 0db on another, so they are not perfectly matched.

Also i am kind of confused as to why if there in the green dot position they would require the AVR to boost the subwoofer channel. Most people using a RCA-RCA connector have to put the trim to -10 to -12, if you use a RCA-XLR that equates to -4 to -6. So i would agree that its not good to boost channels but i don't see why you would have to with it set to the green dot position, especially not with the DUO.

I know there is many ways to reach the 75db figure, but to me with the KK subs it seems recommended you use the green dot position and use the AVR to trim it accordinly.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
There is no set way in calibrating subs, well in stone anyway as there is so many variables to be calibrated and the size of room what processor/avr you are using will all make a difference to the outcome but generally I would leave the subs in there green dot position myself when calibrating and adjust manually my processor and set it from there.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,301 Posts
I never said the subs were at two different gain levels, so I'm not sure where you're getting that information from. They were set identically.

The green dots are strictly for reference and are not a mandated setting. The reason you're given the ability to make adjustments is to tailor the output to your own wants and needs. If the sound level you're currently achieving is what you like when everything is set at the defaults then you're good to go. For others, like myself, it wasn't, so I adjusted accordingly. Certainly nothing wrong with that.

If the AVR trim goes above 0dB you run the risk of introducing distortion, something that doesn't occur by adjusting the subwoofer level. That's why I always choose to fine tune with the latter.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,301 Posts
There is no set way in calibrating subs, well in stone anyway as there is so many variables to be calibrated and the size of room what processor/avr you are using will all make a difference to the outcome but generally I would leave the subs in there green dot position myself when calibrating and adjust manually my processor and set it from there.
And that's precisely what I did; level match, calibrate, adjust to taste.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
I never said the subs were at two different gain levels, so I'm not sure where you're getting that information from. They were set identically.

The green dots are strictly for reference and are not a mandated setting. The reason you're given the ability to make adjustments is to tailor the output to your own wants and needs. If the sound level you're currently achieving is what you like when everything is set at the defaults then you're good to go. For others, like myself, it wasn't, so I adjusted accordingly. Certainly nothing wrong with that.

If the AVR trim goes above 0dB you run the risk of introducing distortion, something that doesn't occur by adjusting the subwoofer level. That's why I always choose to fine tune with the latter.
I will see if i can find the quote from ken about the "reference level" setting on the subs. It might of been in another review, but the point was that no two subs volume dials are identical, 0db on one, will not result in the same SPL from another even if in the exact same location etc etc. So the reference level was designed to by pass the bass level so you end up with two subwoofers perfectly matched.

I am interested to what you mean by adjustments to tailor your own needs and wants? What benefits are you getting from using the dial? I understand avoiding going into extream trims (over -12 or above 0) but if you where not getting either of those two situations then i dont understand why.

I never said there was anything wrong, i just wanted to understand the thought pattern / engineering decisions behind why you did it.

121 - 140 of 365 Posts