Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

141 - 160 of 365 Posts

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Darkmatter - I think once you actually get a second sub you will find that you will just play with the settings so that you fully understand how they are both contributing to the bass level and then you will be happy and have a better understanding of how it all comes together :)

I have have quite a few 2 sub setups and the easiest ones to get right were the Velodyne DD12's as they have built in EQ and phase adjustments that you could see visually on screen so you knew how both subs were interacting together, with the DXD they are slightly more complicated but you should be fine!

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,313 Posts
I will see if i can find the quote from ken about the "reference level" setting on the subs. It might of been in another review, but the point was that no two subs volume dials are identical, 0db on one, will not result in the same SPL from another even if in the exact same location etc etc. So the reference level was designed to by pass the bass level so you end up with two subwoofers perfectly matched.

I am interested to what you mean by adjustments to tailor your own needs and wants? What benefits are you getting from using the dial? I understand avoiding going into extream trims (over -12 or above 0) but if you where not getting either of those two situations then i dont understand why.

I never said there was anything wrong, i just wanted to understand the thought pattern / engineering decisions behind why you did it.
If all dials are inaccurate how do you know the green dot is really 0dB? ;)

There's probably some truth that extremely minor variations in those adjustments exist, but I don't see where it would be all that significant for music or HT. Something like that is probably important if you're in the studio mastering a soundtrack, where precision is of the utmost importance, but if you're watching WOTW it won't really be evident. Just because something can be measured with sophisticated equipment doesn't necessarily have any bearing on your listening experience. For the most part, if I can't hear the difference then I don't worry about it. That's my philosophy anyway; getting 1 extra dB at 20Hz might seem to be an advantage for the "bench racers", but you won't hear it so it's of little consequence for anything other than bragging rights.

I think Ken would probably be the first to tell you that he doesn't design anything to satisfy people who purchase products by looking strictly at the numbers. He's all about quality of sound, not quantity (hence the reason he recommends two or more). While some of what makes his creations sound so good can be shown on charts, other aspects can't. I'm good with that - the ears are supposed to decide anyway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
I disagree on a few points but as i don't think i have explained what i meant very well so i will just leave it at that.

I will add i do have experience of two sub setups as i owned one for 4-5 months.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,313 Posts
I disagree on a few points but as i don't think i have explained what i meant very well so i will just leave it at that.
I suppose we're each missing the others point. If you would like to discuss it further we certainly can, but if you would rather leave it be I understand. Either way is fine by me.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Tell me about it! this was a movie that will show a good sub from a lesser sub , not only did it have to cleanly keep up with the differentiating bass notes in that wonderful music score but the overly complex 50 shades of bass in the movie itself :gulp: The DXD12012 was a Chameleon on Oblivion and brought new meaning to the expression fast, deep, extended room filling bass :flex:

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I watched the MTV VMA Awards the other night. I don't care much about the show but watched it to see the KK12012 perform and I tell you as you all know. This sub delivers! Clean, tight, note for note. :clap::T

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi this is my first post here, good to see some familiar names from the UK
Was disappointed to hear that Frank Harvey lost their dealership as I was hoping for a demo which is now impossible.
I am considering a DXD 12012 ( or two ) and one other alternative manufacturer which I won't name as it would then go off thread.

Would I be right in thinking you can only use these as a Duo if they are connected with the balanced XLR connections?
My AVR ( ONKYO 5010 ) only has RCA unbalanced outputs , and I also understand ( looking at the alternative Sub ) that you should not use a XLR adapter but this could be incorrect as far as KK subs are concerned
I have two MK Sound MX 350's at the moment but really fancy a real KK designed system instead of a copy.
Thanks in advance

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Hi this is my first post here, good to see some familiar names from the UK
Was disappointed to hear that Frank Harvey lost their dealership as I was hoping for a demo which is now impossible.
I am considering a DXD 12012 ( or two ) and one other alternative manufacturer which I won't name as it would then go off thread.

Would I be right in thinking you can only use these as a Duo if they are connected with the balanced XLR connections?
My AVR ( ONKYO 5010 ) only has RCA unbalanced outputs , and I also understand ( looking at the alternative Sub ) that you should not use a XLR adapter but this could be incorrect as far as KK subs are concerned
I have two MK Sound MX 350's at the moment but really fancy a real KK designed system instead of a copy.
Thanks in advance
Hi Lesmor,

Welcome matey, they would be best utilized if you were to purchase a pair and use then as a DUO set up, but the XLR inputs make it possible to pass through the signal, but you do not have to use them specifically as a DUO set up as you could run them as a pair either side or back and front.

I do not see any reason why you cannot use an XLR adapter from the AVR and then XLR to XLR from subs.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi Lesmor,

Welcome matey, they would be best utilized if you were to purchase a pair and use then as a DUO set up, but the XLR inputs make it possible to pass through the signal, but you do not have to use them specifically as a DUO set up as you could run them as a pair either side or back and front.

I do not see any reason why you cannot use an XLR adapter from the AVR and then XLR to XLR from subs.
Hi Recruit
Thanks for the reply
I don't suppose you can use the RCA unbalanced input and then use the XLR to XLR pass through can you?

I noticed Kens explanation re RCA v XLR but ended up confused ( Which for me is not hard ) so wondered if there was any issues with a RCA cable to XLR Adapter, and then XLR XLR Pass through with regard to his post

As stated the alternative sub were specific about not using a XLR adapter for a master and slave and this would not be possible unless balanced XLR was used ( I suspect probably specific to the sub design )

I am trying to stay on thread but need to get my head round the connection combinations as its better to have one cable run then a short interconnect to the second Sub ( DUO )

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
I don't suppose you can use the RCA unbalanced input and then use the XLR to XLR pass through can you?
I would certainly hope so or else it would certainly leave a big problem for a lot of people who do not have XLR connections.

Basically the pass through does exactly what it says on the tin so if you were to feed it with a signal via RCA it would then pass it on via the XLR connections :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would certainly hope so or else it would certainly leave a big problem for a lot of people who do not have XLR connections.

Basically the pass through does exactly what it says on the tin so if you were to feed it with a signal via RCA it would then pass it on via the XLR connections :)
Hi Recruit

So RCA cable to RCA input then XLR interconnect to XLR out XLR Pass through works
Thanks for clearing that up

By the way have you got your second DXD 808 yet?
I enjoyed your review of the 808 and really impressed with what I've read on these subs

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Hi Recruit

So RCA cable to RCA input then XLR interconnect to XLR out XLR Pass through works
Thanks for clearing that up

By the way have you got your second DXD 808 yet?
I enjoyed your review of the 808 and really impressed with what I've read on these subs
Hi Lesmor,

I would certainly think so.

Thanks for your kind comments regarding my review, No I have not got a second one yet but I'm hoping to have one before Xmas, fingers crossed :)

These subs really are impressive and the real deal when it comes to quality bass, Ken certainly knows how to deliver that one in spades, in all his subs I have had in the past these new ones really do hit hard but have the quality to go with it :T

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Lesmor,

I would certainly think so.

Thanks for your kind comments regarding my review, No I have not got a second one yet but I'm hoping to have one before Xmas, fingers crossed :)

These subs really are impressive and the real deal when it comes to quality bass, Ken certainly knows how to deliver that one in spades, in all his subs I have had in the past these new ones really do hit hard but have the quality to go with it :T
Couldn't have said it better:T

141 - 160 of 365 Posts