Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Very nice! Glad to hear it is performing well, and hopefully I can get the same results.

Realtraps.com is the website that has the sweeps CD, if anybody is interested. Just be careful playing sine waves at high volumes for prolonged periods... you could melt the voice coil as sine waves are extremely stressful. If you want to play sine waves at the limits, give the driver breaks so it can cool down...
I let it run through it's cycles found on the disk. I run it through a few times adjusting the volume while watching the cone movement. It does each frequency 10 seconds at a time, so it doesn't spend a significant time powering the coil... Lots of movement from the cone should help with cooling as well.

I pulled out the SVS (PC12-NSD) from behind the screen, and tested one of them in the same spot as my build... I actually think my build got louder and shook the room more, but I'm also not afraid to turn up a $150 build compared to a $700 sub. I will take measurements at some point though.

I brought the wife down to look at the SVS and compare to my sub and she thinks making the sock look the same shouldn't be an issue at all. I'm hoping she'll make time for it tomorrow. For now, here's some comparison shots.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Well... I just need to get the base plate coated black and it'll be done! Here are a few pictures, but I'll take better ones once the base plate is complete.

I did develop a problem with the woofer though... I thought I heard a noise for a few seconds when a buddy and I were plaing some test tones, but it went away. We looked out the window and they were unloading a truck outside, so we thought it was that. For the next two days, the sub rocks like a crazy. I disconnect it, take it upstairs for my wife to use for making the sock, bring it back downstairs the next day, hook it up and it's rattling like crazy. I took the driver out and tested it in free air and it was still making the noise. I consider the woofer toast, but I can't see any physical damage. After pushing down on the woofer and feeling something rubbing the coil, I just start pushing it on differen parts of the woofer, different angles, etc... Finally I can't feel anything on the coil (but can if I push it in the other direction).

I tested the woofer again and there was no rattle. I put it back in and cranked it up and it sounded fine. I play softer music a little later and the noise is back, but just not as bad. I reached under an played with the woofer again and I'm back going again.

I'm not really sure what caused it as it kind of just appeared from nothing apparent. It's not a total loss as I have another spare, brand new Klipsch woofer sitting in a box and will swap in when the base plate is complete and I have a new BASH 300S with a 20hz HPF.

·
Registered
171 Posts
yamahaSHO said:
Well... I just need to get the base plate coated black and it'll be done! Here are a few pictures, but I'll take better ones once the base plate is complete.

I did develop a problem with the woofer though... I thought I heard a noise for a few seconds when a buddy and I were plaing some test tones, but it went away. We looked out the window and they were unloading a truck outside, so we thought it was that. For the next two days, the sub rocks like a crazy. I disconnect it, take it upstairs for my wife to use for making the sock, bring it back downstairs the next day, hook it up and it's rattling like crazy. I took the driver out and tested it in free air and it was still making the noise. I consider the woofer toast, but I can't see any physical damage. After pushing down on the woofer and feeling something rubbing the coil, I just start pushing it on differen parts of the woofer, different angles, etc... Finally I can't feel anything on the coil (but can if I push it in the other direction).

I tested the woofer again and there was no rattle. I put it back in and cranked it up and it sounded fine. I play softer music a little later and the noise is back, but just not as bad. I reached under an played with the woofer again and I'm back going again.

I'm not really sure what caused it as it kind of just appeared from nothing apparent. It's not a total loss as I have another spare, brand new Klipsch woofer sitting in a box and will swap in when the base plate is complete and I have a new BASH 300S with a 20hz HPF.
You def. Blew the coil. Its starting to unwind.. it will still play but will have a rattling noise.. try the other sub and you will see it should be fine... I've heard this problem in a pt of car audio subs... good luck. Hope this helps

·
Registered
16 Posts
How loud and for how long were you playing those test tones? Sine waves at high volumes stress a woofer far more than any movie content because it's continuous non-stop power. If you were playing the tones at -75 or -85, you're probably safe. But if you were SPL racing with the test tones...

If the speaker fails completely, it would be interesting to see what the coil looks like (which would mean you would have to cut the woofer and spider out)

Here's what a melted coil looks like...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The really low stuff was played around -45 and gradually turned up as the frequency went up. I don't think my receiver will register -75 or -85. I think I was up to -30 to -25 by the time I was up to 45hz.

I've burnt coils before and neither of us (my buddy) smelled anything. I've been pushing this thing exteremly hard trying to make it fail and it hasn't. I can honestly I didn't think this Klipsch driver would have as much excursion as it has.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It doesn't have to be melted. I've blown voice coils. They do seperate and unwind. It has a rattle when certain bass notes hit. I used to compete in spl comps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Woops, when I said -75 or -85, I meant dbs, not volume. I guess in volume, that would be -25 to -15, which would be 80db to 90db...

Too bad there's no non-destructive way to look at the voice coil...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
I finally got set up with REW today and took some measurements. I did some tests with and without the Anti-Mode. This room is completely untreated (it's not my theater) with lots of bare walls. This is also still using the "blown" sub. It works great for the most part, but the noise comes back every now and again and I have to move the driver around to get it to go away. I'll replace when soon.

No EQ:

Anti-Mode 8033c correction

SPL comparison

I will run the tests again with the SVS and see how they compare.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Well, I did some more reading about REW and think I've got it calibrated more correctly this time... I did a comparison with my Klipsch Sono before and after the 8033 EQ as well as the same with the SVS.

Here's what I came up with:

Klipsch Sono vs SVS PC12-NSD w/ NO EQ:

Klipsch Sono vs SVS PC12-NSD w/ Anti-Mode 8033 EQ:

Klipsch Sono before and after 8033:

SVS PC12-NSD before and after 8033:

Klipsch Sono Waterfall w/ NO EQ:

Klipsch Sono Waterfall w/ Anti-Mode 8033 EQ:

SVS PC-12 NSD Waterfall w/ NO EQ:

SVS PC-12 NSD Waterfall w/ Anti-Mode 8033 EQ:

I suppose my Klipsch Sono is doing pretty well and is a farily close match to my SVS.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
After talking with Ed M. at SVS a bit, he recommended to close-mic the sub to get a little more information as well as find the final tuning frequency. It appears my guessing with the sub and the addition of making the port a 1/2" longer than required, I am tuned at 20hz. I'm not sure if I'll leave it or shorten the port to get my 22hz tune...

·
Registered
580 Posts
Is that grille cover interchangeable with the one used by SVS? I bought a used PC12+ a few months ago to complement my new PC12+. It was packed upside down and the grill was bent when it arrived. I can get a replacement from SVS for $25 but these are on sale from PE for $5.

Thanks,
sga2

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
sga2 said:
Is that grille cover interchangeable with the one used by SVS? I bought a used PC12+ a few months ago to complement my new PC12+. It was packed upside down and the grill was bent when it arrived. I can get a replacement from SVS for $25 but these are on sale from PE for $5.

Thanks,
sga2
Yes, it is an exact replacement.

sga2 said:
Look great! Are you gonna put a logo on that thing when it's done?

sga2
Yes actually I have a Klipsch emblem from my dad's LaScalas that I'm putting on. I'm still waiting on a nice day to finish the base plate. I can't do this mid-west anymore.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Impressing how low response you get, very very nice.

I am a bit dissapointed from the Klipsch driver motor as i can see it now from your pics here, i didnt know it is so moderate, the "late 90s" magnet and short basket... cause am a former owner of RW-12d sub. It is so impressive what the guys from Klipsch accomplish with a driver like that, the output was amazingly deep and powerfull

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
You def. Blew the coil. Its starting to unwind.. it will still play but will have a rattling noise.. try the other sub and you will see it should be fine... I've heard this problem in a pt of car audio subs... good luck. Hope this helps
Just wanted to update this. I finally, years later, just replaced the original driver in this sonosub. I didn't do it because of any issue, but I put some small dents in the metal dust cap when I was building it and bought a new driver directly after. I got tired of the spare, new driver, sitting around and decided I would replace and sell the old one. I didn't take the old one apart, but for years it had performed well and when I got it out, I played with the cone a little compressing the suspension and nothing. It felt perfectly normal and no noises. I think that something may had gotten into the magnet/cone/coil area during building but has since been dislodged.

Anyway, I don't know why I wanted to update this, but it worked/works awesome!

41 - 60 of 69 Posts