Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Klipsch Heritage Inspired Center Project

Example Picture credit to: Dan308howa's project on P.E. Techtalk Forum.

Using a unmodified (As of yet) stock HII Crossover:

UPDATE: I am using my own fully modeled box design now. Full build pics TBA.

I have dreamed about building a Heritage styled center based on Heresy part for some time now.

Here's the plan:

1. Needs to look as if Klipsch actually made a matching center for Heresy's (other than the Academy)

2. Use existing Heresy II parts minus the woofer. (Klipsch parts include K-76-K & K-53-K Horns, crossover & square cup.) Also two 2.5 ports front'?' mounted and perhaps rear mounted MID/HI L-pads. Unless either it works as-is or I can adjust the crossover.

3. No foam surrounds!

UPDATE: I changed the bassdrivers to two Goldwood GW-8PC-30-4 8" Heavy Duty Woofer 4 Ohm. (Rubber surrounds)

4. See the fully modeled ported design PDF linked below in my page 2 post.

See design page here, link takes you to Klipsch Forums Local link pending.

5. Retain sensitivity of at least 93db 1w 1m 96 if possible.

UPDATE: I'm designing for 62Hz to 20Khz @ 109Db 1W 1M. (More like it)

6. Must reach at least 70hz.

7. Fit critical dimension of 9.5” High, 32 long, as much as 15 deep. (TBA after woofer choice is solid)

UPDATE: New exterior dimensions 9.75" high 33" long 15.5/8" deep (+5/8 for grill front inset) .75" plywood walls.

8. Walnut veneer oiled'?' over 3/4” plywood. Will have a Gloss black painted recessed motor board and back. (MDF would be fine but I have the plywood)

9. Klipsch style black cloth and perhaps a copper tag seeing it will have mostly Klipsch parts in it.

10. Lastly, tonally (voiced) consistent to the 84' Cornwall's I plan to pair with. (Or the project is pointless)

02/22/2012 Waiting on delivery of woofers via Parts Express. Still need a plunge router, Glue and hole jig. Looking at the Router Buddy @ PE.

Next post will be parts layout pictures.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You know, just the horns works pretty good.
If I didn't already have the woofers coming I may have just designed a really small horn box.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The rest of the Parts Express order has Arrived!

Goldwood woofers #290-312
L-pad 100w 8ohm #260-262 not used changes TBA
Port tubes 2"1/2 x 8"1/2 #260-478
Screws,100ct #6 Cab & Panhead #081-1100 & #081-435
Gasketing 1/8" 3/8" 50' #260-540

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
With some advice (Thanks djk @ Klipsch forum) and a little testing, I have found out some changes are needed in the L-pad plan.

L-pads on the output leads, Hi 8ohm 15w / Mid 16ohm 50w, fix my trace cuts, pads are generous enough due to existing filtering.

PE parts:
L-Pad 15W Mono 3/8" Shaft 8 Ohm
Part Number: 260-248

L-Pad 50W Mono 3/8" Shaft 16 Ohm
Part Number: 260-254

This is where I started, the trace cuts will be repaired due to the transformer making this method incorrect. And SILLY, But things happen when your learning as you go, no real harm done.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Trace cuts repaired. New plan deciding on building a 2nd crossover for the woofers and keeping the Klipsch crossover in the box for hi & Mid. Box building starts around Mar 6th when router jig gets here. Ideas anyone?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
http://practical-technologies.com/
This awesome rugged Jig will do up to 18" holes without optional accessory's (100th's of a inch accuracy)
Router Buddy jig has arrived, Now it appears my weird Router needs a adapter plate. That's what I get for buying a off brand router... On the bright side the adapter plate is only $10. Adding another week to the build progress.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts