Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Leonard (and all!),

I've been offered a Sony KP-51HW40. It's a bit older and doesn't have dvi or hdmi inputs but it does have two component inputs so it could work ok in our basement.

What the owner is describing is red straight horizontal lines showing up after it's been running for a bit, not the bowed 3-d effect of bad convergence amps.

I did a little net research and it seems this is kind of a common problem on this set. It's the red re-trace line they are seeing and it was fixed often by Sony replacing the CRT under warranty, which really isn't an option any more <chuckle>.

I've seen many posts where people fixed this problem by adjusting a pot at the front of the tv and it seems to fix it as I haven't seen any posts back where the set died soon afterwards . . . but . . . if a pot needs re-adjusting and no other repairs have been made then probably something (the CRT or something on it's driver board?) is deteriorating and will probably continue to do so? My gut feeling is that it would be a temporary fix and would probably require periodic re-adjusting and eventually whatever the problem is would fail. Then again, it seems no one is posting that experience so maybe it takes years before needing re-adjusting again?

I would appreciate any insights you have on the problem.

Hope your holidays went well! Ours did and now that that pesky Christmas tree is out of the living room I once again have a parking spot for a rptv project! :D (well, unless my wife gets that aquarium she's been eyeing set up first!)

Take Care,

Steve

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Guys,

Just an update on this set - I turned it down as I didn't know how long the repair would last and I simply didn't want to be hauling it back up out of the basement in a few months.

I told the owners what I suspected the problem was and suggested we try to repair it but they had already replaced it (which is why they had orginally offered it to me). After some discussion though they called their son and it was decided it would make a nice addition to their family room and they have a walk out basement so it wasn't that difficult to get in and out.

We hauled it over to his place and then I followed the directions posted on this site:
http://www.somelifeblog.com/2007/06/sony-projection-tv-red-line-repair.html
and the problem was fixed! :T Well, at least for now. We'll see for how long - I told them to keep me informed if it has further problems and if it does I'll post back here so we can see how long such a repair can be expected to last.

TTYL,

Steve

1 - 2 of 2 Posts