Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my X4000 has began resetting all the time so I'm sending it off for warranty. In the mean time I bought a X1100W to use (I bought it for the wife for her TV downstairs to use w/ the tiny NHT speakers I used previously)

Needless to say... going from the X4000 as a preamp/processor and Krell driving the speakers to just the smaller Denon was an immediate noticeable sound degrading it's very disappointing. Same scenes in Fury sounds very much like a 64kb MP3 vs. CD quality that the Krell gives. This is at least how I hear it and I also know it's comparing apples to oranges.

But wanted to share.

I may just buy a decent processor only while the other denon is out for warranty and offload it when it comes back.

Any suggestions for ~$1k or less?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
The did that before it came out and then again at the close of Axpona. You could buy them at the hotel and once the show was gone...$2500,

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I'm better off with an Oppo 105 and a mini dsp DDRC-88A for the correction. no processor.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I recently got a DDRC-88A and I'm really impressed with it. Very flexible in terms of what settings/calibrations you can store, easy to tweak the targets if required, plus it integrates my subs better than any previous method I've used (including XT32, antimode and manual eqing). It just sounds like I have 7 full size speakers around me and they blend so well together too (all MK 150 series speakers, so they ought to work well together, but not as well as they do now).

I was going to upgrade my Oppo 93 to a 105 to use as a processor, but I read that there is some potential issue with clipping on the LFE output due to bass management issues. Plus it didn't seem a great time to drop £1k on a BluRay player with 4K players not that far away. Instead I picked up a used old, but good quality Arcam AV8 processor to use until a suitable DTS:X/HDCP2.2 processor falls into my price range. With the '88 doing the business in the meantime I'm happy to wait. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.