Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Krell Showcase processor + Oppo + miniDSP Dirac vs AVR?

5519 Views 24 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  NBPk402
Thinking of swapping out the X4000 to a Krell Showcase 7.1 processor which yes... is a bit dated but has the Krell build/sound. Now... for me to get this to work right I would have to buy the Oppo 105 so I can have the Oppo do all the DAC decoding for the DTS-MA signalling (or TRUEHD) and use the RCA outputs on the Oppo to the Krell and then from there run the analog channels through a MiniDSP w/ dirac to handle all the room corrections then to the Krell amp.

Thoughts on this vs. the standard AVR w/ Audyssey? With the Oppo I wouldn't really need HDMI since all I would be using is the Oppo player and my sat box which could go to the Oppo using the 2nd input function.

I can pick up a Krell Showcase for 500-700 and the Minidsp nanoAVR DL costs 550 and then you have the Oppo at 1300 so I'm looking at around 2500 vs. just buying a dedicated processor like a marrantz AV8801 or something which can be had for 1500 but would still not have the oppo so in the end around the same price.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Krell makes excellent equipment and the price you are getting it for is a little over half the price i have seen them going for. Personally due to the extra pieces you will need to get it to work... I would just go for a new AVP, and have a warranty as High dollar equipment costs high dollars to repair.

You have the Denon... How does it sound to you compared to it?
From my 2 week trial with DIRAC in my PC using 5.1 analog through my soundcard I can say that I was very impressed with the DIRAC processing - Its the kind of sound I was expecting from my AVR room correction but didnt get - Im saving now for my DIRAC license fee so I can keep it going.. the sound improvement for me was dramatic and made a believer out of me... I think the DIRAC combo vs Audessy is a no brainer...
Its a very coherent type of sound and work very well with movies and was excellent with music :clap:
Krell makes excellent equipment and the price you are getting it for is a little over half the price i have seen them going for. Personally due to the extra pieces you will need to get it to work... I would just go for a new AVP, and have a warranty as High dollar equipment costs high dollars to repair.

You have the Denon... How does it sound to you compared to it?

well since the Krell is a class A type it does need to be recapped after so long... my uncle said typically about every 15-20 years depending on use. Price is $800 from Krell plus shipping costs. I think it'll be worth doing that once I get everything settled in.

I had just a brief back and forth test but this was with the tiny NHT speakers. Will let you know how it does w/ the Ultras. I'll try to compare this weekend.
I currently have a Krell Showcase in my rack. I have it hooked up to an Oppo 83SE in the 7.1 analog inputs. A very easy processor to set up. I'm using both outputs from my new Bryston 2.5 amp. The balanced to the Krell for movies and the RCA cables to my Audio Research SP16 for my Linn TT. I get the best of both worlds. I would suggest if your going to get the Oppo 105 for stereo take advantage of the balanced CD inputs. I used them for my McIntosh MVP-851 and got excellent results.:T
I currently have a Krell Showcase in my rack. I have it hooked up to an Oppo 83SE in the 7.1 analog inputs. A very easy processor to set up. I'm using both outputs from my new Bryston 2.5 amp. The balanced to the Krell for movies and the RCA cables to my Audio Research SP16 for my Linn TT. I get the best of both worlds. I would suggest if your going to get the Oppo 105 for stereo take advantage of the balanced CD inputs. I used them for my McIntosh MVP-851 and got excellent results.:T
Which was my idea exactly. the OPPO takes care of the current DTS-MA tracks and the Dirac takes care of the room correction.

I'm really looking forward to doing this however the expense will be $2800 (dirac, krell processor, oppo)

We'll see.... Could be cheaper for me to move to a XPA-5/XMC-1 which already has the dirac. Thats a 3000k setup right there and selling my krell would get me 2k and I wouldn't have to buy the OPPO since my el cheapo could HDMI right to the XMC-1
Thinking of swapping out the X4000 to a Krell Showcase 7.1 processor which yes... is a bit dated but has the Krell build/sound. Now... for me to get this to work right I would have to buy the Oppo 105 so I can have the Oppo do all the DAC decoding for the DTS-MA signalling (or TRUEHD) and use the RCA outputs on the Oppo to the Krell and then from there run the analog channels through a MiniDSP w/ dirac to handle all the room corrections then to the Krell amp.

Thoughts on this vs. the standard AVR w/ Audyssey? With the Oppo I wouldn't really need HDMI since all I would be using is the Oppo player and my sat box which could go to the Oppo using the 2nd input function.

I can pick up a Krell Showcase for 500-700 and the Minidsp nanoAVR DL costs 550 and then you have the Oppo at 1300 so I'm looking at around 2500 vs. just buying a dedicated processor like a marrantz AV8801 or something which can be had for 1500 but would still not have the oppo so in the end around the same price.
Your proposed setup would not work if I'm looking up the correct Krell processor which has no HDMI inputs as the miniDSP nanoAVR DL is an HDMI only device. The miniDSP DDRC-88A would work with the Krell Showcase however the DDRC-88A is $999. Oppo analog out to Krell analog in, Krell pre-out to DDRC-88A input, DDRC-88A output to amps. Regarding the XMC-1 you should check to see if they've updated the version of Dirac in it because last I knew users were unable to edit the target curve but they had planned on updating it to let users do that.
FWIW, the price of the 8801 used has dropped to around $1000 (which uses XT32 like your X4000) and you could get an emotiva XPA5 for around $600 used of course and an Oppo 103 using HDMI to the 8801 for $400 used again and you would be around $2000 give or take a few hundred and that would be an impressive system!

My brother has an X4000 and uses a UPA 2 just for music and it is an impressive system for what he paid for it!
Your proposed setup would not work if I'm looking up the correct Krell processor which has no HDMI inputs as the miniDSP nanoAVR DL is an HDMI only device. The miniDSP DDRC-88A would work with the Krell Showcase however the DDRC-88A is $999. Oppo analog out to Krell analog in, Krell pre-out to DDRC-88A input, DDRC-88A output to amps. Regarding the XMC-1 you should check to see if they've updated the version of Dirac in it because last I knew users were unable to edit the target curve but they had planned on updating it to let users do that.
Thanks for the input... the 88A is exactly what I would use.

88A - 929
Oppo 105- 1300
Krell Showcase 7 - 650
Morrow Cables - 280

Total: $3160

Quite the expense now isn't it. However I would then have the dedicated stereo output of the OPPO going into a dedicated line into the Krell processor and then that would feed to the mains via the Krell amp.
FWIW, the price of the 8801 used has dropped to around $1000 (which uses XT32 like your X4000) and you could get an emotiva XPA5 for around $600 used of course and an Oppo 103 using HDMI to the 8801 for $400 used again and you would be around $2000 give or take a few hundred and that would be an impressive system!

My brother has an X4000 and uses a UPA 2 just for music and it is an impressive system for what he paid for it!

Ya i hear ya. I'm currently using the X4000 for the pre/pro needs fed to a 7 channel Krell amp. The krell was about the price of what your talking about alone which is definitely an expense that could fund exactly what your talking about.
From my 2 week trial with DIRAC in my PC using 5.1 analog through my soundcard I can say that I was very impressed with the DIRAC processing - Its the kind of sound I was expecting from my AVR room correction but didnt get - Im saving now for my DIRAC license fee so I can keep it going.. the sound improvement for me was dramatic and made a believer out of me... I think the DIRAC combo vs Audessy is a no brainer...
Its a very coherent type of sound and work very well with movies and was excellent with music :clap:
+1 with an exception or two. This isn't apples-to-apples, but my Emotiva XMC-1 AVR has the Dirac Live LE (Light Edition). It's the same except won't let you adjust the house curve. I've run multiple setups with variable mic positions, and generally prefer the results over what I'm getting with that AVR's REW capability. I'd like to upgrade my firmware to the full Dirac version when it Emotiva makes it available, because the top end is bright for my taste. I hear a big improvement using Dirac over REW, but the gap might narrow in the hands of a seasoned REW user.
Thanks for the input... the 88A is exactly what I would use.

88A - 929
Oppo 105- 1300
Krell Showcase 7 - 650
Morrow Cables - 280

Total: $3160

Quite the expense now isn't it. However I would then have the dedicated stereo output of the OPPO going into a dedicated line into the Krell processor and then that would feed to the mains via the Krell amp.
Now you go me looking to get rid of my 4520, and getting a Krell processor.
No you go me looking ting rid of my 4520, and getting a Krell processor.
I'm going this route but need to hold off for now until I can get back to investing money into the AV system. I dropped $7k in 3 months and my system is running. Time to wait about 6 months before thinking about investing the 3k needed to move to the 88A and the krell processor/Oppo combo.
Well I just won a Krell Showcase 7.1 on eBay. :T
Now i need to get a HDMI switcher with a 7.1 analog breakout, and the Dirac.
Now i need to get a HDMI switcher with a 7.1 analog breakout, and the Dirac.

Just run the HDMI video straight through to your display .... put the DIRAC DDRC-88a between your Krell processor and your amps.
Just run the HDMI video straight through to your display .... put the DIRAC DDRC-88a between your Krell processor and your amps.
I I use Coax or fiber for my digital will I still be able to use all the codecs or do i need HDMI for some of them?
I always prefer HDMI over coax or fiber given a choice ... but in your case fiber would be best ....

Were you more interested in the DIRAC LIVE or the Mini DSP room mangement plugins....?
I always prefer HDMI over coax or fiber given a choice ... but in your case fiber would be best ....

Were you more interested in the DIRAC LIVE or the Mini DSP room mangement plugins....?
I have been looking at the DDRC-88... I wish there was a less expensive way to go though. The software version would be nice but I have 4 sources (2 i3NUCs, a PS3, and XBOX360).
I have been looking at the DDRC-88... I wish there was a less expensive way to go though. The software version would be nice but I have 4 sources (2 i3NUCs, a PS3, and XBOX360).
I agree I wish it were more reasonably priced ...that being said the full dirac software version comes with 2 licences so you could split the cost with someone seeking the same solution....

I do disagree with those who dont hear the differences between Dirac vs Audessy .... I cant wait for the day I add the DDRC 88A to my system

Have you tried the free trial version of the software ?

Also MINI DSP does offer many other room calibration / management plugins that are less expensive ...
I do disagree with those who dont hear the differences between Dirac vs Audessy
In "real life," with target curve options, mic placement flexibility, easier to get a successful calibration, no doubt about it.

I add my vote for a Dirac Live implementation - full capability with target curve editing is a must. Just spent part of the day wading through some of their online deep background info, and am more convinced than ever that they have the technology to beat right now, and its implementation is SO easy to get good results with.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.