Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade my entry level Polk New Monitor 75T mains and 25C center. I believe they're the weakest link in my system. Other equipment/specs I have...
Onkyo 818
Emotiva XPA-3
Polk Tsi100 bookshelf speakers for surround (4)
2 SVS PB-2000 subs
Epson 8350
150" diy AT screen
2500 cu ft sealed dedicated room
Speakers hidden behind false wall

I've only owned Polk and I'm eyeing the Polk rtiA7 with matching center but I'm open to other brands as well. Budget is very slightly flexible for the right buy but I don't want to go much higher. I feel that anything will be an upgrade over what I have now. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Since you have a AT screen, you should be able to have all 3 speakers up front ( L/C/R) be identical....would be the ideal setup.......

How about Arx A5's across the front.........you may have to wait a couple of months, as on another forum, someone said they're 4-6 weeks behind on orders, but by then, the new iteration of the A5 may be out, with a slightly new ribbon tweeter and crossover......3 of them would probably be pushing $1200, though........

There is someone who is selling his current Arx 5.0 system here.....oops, looks like they're already sold, can't find the link on AVS anymore..............

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly I've never heard of that brand but I wouldn't be opposed to having 3 identical speakers up front. I could probably go to $1200 for something like that. I've never had a "non center" speaker for my center so I wouldn't know what to expect but I've seen many theaters with this setup.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Arx is a speaker line developed by Jon Lane, previously "The Audio Insider." He has recently partnered with another of our sponsors Craig (AKA Craigsub) to create Chane Audio. They are quality speakers. Chane also offers the "Theater 10's" that appear impressive, though not formerly reviewed by HTS yet. Worth a look for sure.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the clarification, there are lots of quality speakers out there and I want to get it right. I spent a lot of time researching subwoofers and I'll probably never leave SVS but I have yet to find that type of loyalty with the rest of my system.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pro audio or pro-audio based DIY speakers if you want realistic cinema sound. Normal "Hi-Fi" speakers won't cut it. I've been running three Electro-voice ELX-112 speakers behind an AT screen for a couple of years and have been very pleased. Very efficient so amp power doesn't need to be super high. Don't be afraid to drive them hard, that's what they're designed for and they definitely won't be damaged in a home environment.

I'm just about to start a build of three DIY Sound Group Fusion-12 Tempest waveguide speakers, which I'm hoping will raise the sound experience even more.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haven't really considered used but I'd prefer to stick with new. Some things I'm ok with used but speakers aren't one of em.

I have spent the last 6 months fixing up my house so diy speakers doesn't appeal to me much but the savings I'd get seems to be worth a look. I have never built speakers before but I'm somewhat handy so I'll keep it in mind.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I second the suggestion of going with the Arx speakers. That's what I currently have, and they are awesome for both movies and music.

I also know that there is someone in the AVS Forum selling a 5.0 set up of Arx for $850 shipped. That's an awesome deal. I spent more than that for my front 3.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm these seem to be pretty good. I'm also liking the EMP e55. Since I have plenty of space behind my screen are there advantages/disadvantages to using 3 identical speakers?

·
Registered
124 Posts
For me I can't touch the quality and sound of my used speakers vs something new. Probably cost me $5-10k to replace what I have now with comparable new stuff. I have about $1,000 in my front speakers and $550 in my rears.

If you are stuck on new I believe Polk is sold at best buy..... Its a horrible environment to listen to speakers

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I detest that store. There's a high end home theater store near my work so I'll browse their selection but I'm leaning towards the EMP e55 towers or a nice set of bookshelf speakers

·
Registered
124 Posts
I go there to buy cd's and that's about it..... Also not a fan of the big box stores :(

I have 3 Indy stores that are close however they all carry stuff most of which is way out of my price range. All of their speakers and amps are way out of my budget..... Bryston seems to be their low end line :(

·
Registered
630 Posts
I detest that store. There's a high end home theater store near my work so I'll browse their selection but I'm leaning towards the EMP e55 towers or a nice set of bookshelf speakers
Real good price on the Focal 717V and CC701 center
http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...v-dual-6-1/2-tower-speaker-pair-havana/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...al-6-1/2-drivers-center-speaker-havana/1.html

The Sib for surrounds
http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...atellite-loudspeakers-pair-gloss-black/1.html

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
EMP E55Ti is certainly a good value, I'd recommend them. Yes, there is an advantage to having all three across the front identical, tonal balance, wider horizontal dispersion, and panning from left to right and vice-versa should be nearly seamless are just a few. The Polk's as surrounds should be okay as well.

Hmm these seem to be pretty good. I'm also liking the EMP e55. Since I have plenty of space behind my screen are there advantages/disadvantages to using 3 identical speakers?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Patience is the key to finding a good set up at a price. As others have stated used is a great way to go to stretch a budget. Emp does bstock offers every so often and they have sold the emp tek towers for half off not too long ago. The only imperfections are small blemishes on the cabinets, but yours will be hidden so this would not matter. I am currently saving for the Arx A5, and have done a huge amount of research on them and can not find a negative thing said about them, other then their plastic base plate witch is removable. I would stay away from polk. Although they do make a good speaker, for the money their is better for less.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
EMP E55Ti is certainly a good value, I'd recommend them. Yes, there is an advantage to having all three across the front identical, tonal balance, wider horizontal dispersion, and panning from left to right and vice-versa should be nearly seamless are just a few. The Polk's as surrounds should be okay as well.
Thanks Mark, I'm heavily leaning towards an identical 3 setup. All I've heard about it makes sense and I'd be foolish not to do it since I have the space behind my screen.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts