Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

L shaped home theater

Tags
shaped
2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Lumen 
#1 ·
Greetings all,

I'm looking for help to identify room modes in my L shaped Home Theater. From what I've read this isn't an easy task. I live in the D.C. area and I need help finding a who is knowledgeable in my local area (Washington DC).

thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Markus

#2 · (Edited)
Hi, mtgaines, and welcome to HTS! Are you asking for local help because you intend on hiring a professional? Well, we can help you do it yourself if you'd like to save a lot of money!
First try to get a grasp on the overall picture by reading the end of Room Modes 101, which steers you to Four Approaches to Room Acoustic Measurement.

You're right that room modes in your L-Shaped room are difficult to predict. Most free room mode calculators don't try, though there are some expensive simulators I hear of that do a decent job. You'll eventually need to measure anyway, so I think simulation can be skipped. If you wind up hiring someone, they should be able to do both if you're interested. Simulation is just a quick method of letting you know where the room's problems areas are so that you can avoid placing speakers in them. Measuring accomplishes the same thing with greater accuracy, but takes longer. Fine tuning is recommended afterward.

Room EQ Wizard (REW) is software designed to measure many acoustical aspects of your listening space, including modal resonances. You should be able to handle the basics after a short learning curve. Interpreting results is the hard part, but there are people here who can help you with that.
  1. Connect equipment
  2. Measure room acoustics using REW
  3. Interpret measurement results
  4. Make adjustments
  5. Repeat until satisfied

Here are a few guides to get you started:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.