Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

First post here..bear with me if I botch any etiquette. I've spent a few hours reading threads, mainly in pursuit of an idea to replace my recently deceased Lab 12 unit (my first build!). I'm super tempted to pursue some exotic things I've read about (dual opposed, those sweet looking SI HT 18s...) but for now I'm thinking I could get a quick replacement built using whatever I can salvage from poor ol' first build.

Relevant: Amp = Dayton HPSA500, Driver = Lab 12, ~3ft^3 vented enclosure.

Symptoms: after unplugging amp for a bit, sub runs at VERY low output and actually sounds decent. Increasing the gain causes abrupt end to bass production and the "Power" (status) light dims...same as in power save mode. Once this happens, nothing short of unplug-reset will allow additional manufacture of bass. I opened it up and measured DC resistance across the voice coil and read 4.6 ohm (supposed to be 6??).

Basically my theory is that some of the voice coil's insulation got slowly cooked off due to a particularly lengthy session of...enthusiastic use. Would anyone be willing to corroborate? I'm not sure what else I can really test without buying new things...would like to minimize that for now. Hopefully I will be able to use whichever thing is not ruined for the next thing..

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply, Mike. I actually just now decided to look at the spec sheet and it does look like the DC resistance is listed as 4.29 ohm...more in line with my observation.

For anyone interested: I thought of another thing to check: Parts Express support! I called them up and talked to the man (Eric?) who does repairs on Dayton amplifiers. He said they have seen issues with that amplifier and the symptoms exhibited indicate that the amplifier is indeed toast. Looks like they've got a drop-in replacement available, so I think that's the route I will go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts