Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I started to remodel our house in December of 07, part of the remodel is a dedicated HT room with a small equipment room next door. The HT room slab is 13x23. The house is progressing nicely which now gives me some time to finally work on the HT. Did I mention we are building this place almost single handed? I have more time than money and with a full time job I don't have much time either.

Our goals are;
1) To have a place to experiance music and movies that defies description!
2) Just because!
3) To improve the value of our home.

Note #3 came about recently when we found that a move is in our near future.

As The room stands now it has 2x4 walls 9' tall with spray foam insulation. the roof is a small 4 on 12 pitch built with 2x6's and also spray foam insulation. The attic area is sealed between the HT room and equipment room and closet with plywood and spray foam.

The only common wall with the rest of the house is the equipment room and a closet both of which are built with double sheetrock internally.

We then built 2x4 x20ga metal stud walls isolated from the floor with 1/2 recycled rubber used for concrete driveway seams. Next is 2x6 20ga metal for the ceiling, 8 1/2' tall, there is a 2" air gap between the exterior walls and interior walls.

The conduit for wiring was next we used 1" Carlon flex for all the speaker runs and 2" for the run to the projector and console. (that 2" is hard to work with!)

The metal stud walls are then insulated with R13 and the ceiling has R19.

The next part was fun, (NOT!) 1/2 plywood liqued nailed and screwed to the metal studs and then all seams, recepticals and ducts were Siliconed with the 50 year flexible stuff.

This room is completely decoupled from the rest of the house, no part of this room touching any house structure except for the rubber between the walls and concrete slab, and of course some concrete screws keeping the room from walking when the LFE kicks in.

We will be using a 4x18" IB sub woofer that is a horizontal line array Unfortunatly I had to anchor it to the slab to keep it from ejecting itself into our neighbors yard, yikes.

And that is where we are today.

I will now attempt to load some Pics.

Maybe not, I will try again later, Rick

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Uh-oh... and my room is 18' x 24' x 8.5'... so I suppose I am looking for a lot of fun plywooding my room. :sweat:

Check out the Green Glue... that stuff looks like it is the ticket.

Nice work... :T

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have done some more work. All the plywood has been covered with Bituthane a 60 mil rubber product, that stuff is so stickey it will rip your fingerprints right off your fingers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exterior shot of the 4 18" FiCars

Finished off nicely

And now we have 5/8 drywall :yay2:

Woofer OB boxs for my mains each housing 2 15" Daytons

Rear side

Finally some progress:yay2::yay2::yay2::yay2::yay2:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
You know I am envying you right about now.... :foottap: I have plywood and sheetrock sitting on the floor in our HT room now, but I cannot seem to get past the wiring and little piddly things that I have to get done.

I can't wait to hear about that IB setup. It should really be killer in that room.

The room looks very solid too! Of course it is solid, so it should look that way. :sarcastic:

I wanted the foam insulation, but I could not afford it, not with all the other stuff we are doing, but I am getting the blown cellulose, which is supposedly better than regular insulation for sound isolation.

So tell us about the rubber Bituthane... what made you decide to go with that and how effective is it supposed to be?

Also the OB mains... those look interesting.

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
I have done some more work. All the plywood has been covered with Bituthane a 60 mil rubber product, that stuff is so stickey it will rip your fingerprints right off your fingers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exterior shot of the 4 18" FiCars

Finished off nicely

Most impressive..:clap: :T
I do hope you have some fly screen wire on the other side of that vent, otherwise you're going to have all sorts of crawlies making their home in there..

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sonnie,
I used the Bituthene because I could not afford the mass loaded vinyl, the stuff that is in the middle of Quiet Rock. The Bituthene is 60mil thick wear as the Grace Water and Ice is only 30mil thick. My thinking is mearly logic and is not based on science or testing so we shall see in the real world how all the sound contianment room amendments work someday, soon I hope. :rolleyes:

The box's you see are the bottoms for my mains and line arrays will sit on top of them.

Prof.
There is most definatley bug screen on the inside of the vent, I have to protect my investment you know and thanks for the kind words.

Rick

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am not so concerned with the fish but, I am a little concerned about the neighbors wondering where the thunder is coming from when there isn't a cloud in the sky:whistling:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've been wondering this for a while about IB's... Does your HVAC unit pressurize your house? If so, does it have any effect on the movement of the drivers? When you open and close the door to the theater room, do the woofers move in-and-out from the change in air pressure?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 3 AC units recirculate the air in the house so no, they don't pressurize the house. The speakers probably will move if you slam the HT door I will check and see.

·
Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts
So when is the grand opening??

I'm only about 45 minutes from you, I'll bring the popcorn:bigsmile:

I'm afraid the neighbors are going to call the police on you, they can probably hear you couple miles away, specially at night when the crickets are singing:devil:

:hsd::hsd:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Let me bring the popcorn... we have one of those big popcorn machines that we purchased from Roman at Ultimate Home Entertainment... it makes the absolute best popcorn. :meal:

So when was that grand opening again? :bigsmile:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would like to do a demo day when everything is completed.

So here is the guest list so far;

Rodney Alvarez
Sonnie
hgjones4841

I am afraid I am in need of much more advice on things like;

Installing a tray ceiling for lighting purposes was in the plans is there a right or wrong way to do this???

I have 3' in back of the screen and will have 2 corner traps 703 4", the walls will be covered with 703 1"

The side walls will have 1"703 48"up and 1" 703 panels at reflection points.

My wife want's 3 row of seats (I know the no seats on the back wall rule) so I am building a riser for the back 2 rows, shall I make a bass trap out of it......ideas?????

Will I need corner traps on the rear wall???

Should I treat the ceiling somehow????????

All advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks, Rick.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
How tall are your ceilings now... do you have room for a tray? As far as a wrong or right way... I would say that is your preference.

If you have 3' behind the back of the screen, take that away from your 23' depth and 20' is going to be hard to get 3 rows without being on the back wall... and still then it will be tight.

You can try without the corner traps first, then if you need them, add them. Same with treating the ceiling. You already have your front wall with side reflection points and the two front corner traps... I would see how that sounds and measures, then consider adding more if needed. You don't want to get your room overly dead.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts