Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
don't forget the Corn Starch if you're going with a painted trim border ;)

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Yepper... unless you're retracting that, it really seemed to work and work well...

·
Registered
703 Posts
No, I am not retracting it but don't you think they already consider me to be a little off without telling them about my "let's try adding things we found in the kitchen to see what the optical effect is" phase!

Truth be told, I suspect regular baby powder may work just as well. "Bruce Can" told me they add chalk powder to ceiling paint to make it really flat.

Warning: If you are tempted to add honey to your DIY screen paint mix to offset a blue push, you should realize that ants and house pets will be attracted to the screen. If you don't want Rover to spend the day licking the screen, top coat it with a matte polyurethane. Not only will this stop Rover from licking your screen all over, it will tame any unwanted sheen.:neener:

Tiddler's DIY Affirmation:
I am a normal human being.
I really don't paints screens
with baking ingredients, anymore.
I no longer buy screen paint ingredients
from the local grocery store.
Neither mad scientist nor naked chef.
I am a normal sane person who simply
has a mild obsession with trying to make
a highly reflective impression.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Flat Black Paint border- Normally I wouldn’t even include this one because there are methods just as cheap and easy, but there are a lot of people that do go the flat black route. The problem with paint, even flat paint is it reflects light to some degree, even flat black. There is a way to deaden flat black even more (only from a regular can though, this won’t work with spray cans). Add 4 tablespoons of cornstarch per oz. of warm water. Then 4 tablespoons of the cornstarch slurry per 2 oz. of Flat Black paint. Believe it or not this will deaden the flat black down a lot.

----------------------------------------------------
Todd did this and showed comparison pictures and it was pretty amazing how it deadened the black. Image reflection dropped WAY off as compared to regular flat black paint. -- Todd, do you still have those comparison images?

G

·
You guys kill me:)

If you don't want to paint, ~$10 worth of velvet from Joanne's is actually pretty easy to apply over the frame with a can of spray glue.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Yeah I prefer a wrapped border too rastan... Since Sonnie was talking about painting it I was just trying to give a suggestion that would make it even duller and flatter with less reflection.

Sonnie I have seen flat black in quart sizes. Plus the paint shop will mix you up any color you want in any base (flat included) so you shouldn't have a problem getting it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Todd did this and showed comparison pictures and it was pretty amazing how it deadened the black. Image reflection dropped WAY off as compared to regular flat black paint. -- Todd, do you still have those comparison images?

. Room Lights . . | | Camera Flash . . | | . Projected Light

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has anyone else tried Platinum? I was very happy shooting my IN72 on it before I sold the pj (I'm currently waiting for a new pj to come out that's worthy of my hard-earned cash...until then, everything is on my old 32" Zenith).

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Sorry about getting us off topic on the border... maybe we should start a thread about the various borders. I could do the velvet, but I'd have to tape up everything to keep from getting glue where it doesn't need to be. I'm not sure if that would be easier or not.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I have a border topic in one of the stickies, I'll make sure to get it updated

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Has anyone else tried Platinum? I was very happy shooting my IN72 on it before I sold the pj (I'm currently waiting for a new pj to come out that's worthy of my hard-earned cash...until then, everything is on my old 32" Zenith).
Platinum is finally starting to get some interest and there will be further testing on it, but as of right now not many people, myself included have tried full size screens of it. The color balance does look good for a darker gray screen.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Platinum is finally starting to get some interest and there will be further testing on it, but as of right now not many people, myself included have tried full size screens of it. The color balance does look good for a darker gray screen.
I originally went with FG and polycoated it, but I went too thick which ruined it. I decided to give Platinum a shot and I was pretty happy with it. I had a strip of uncoated FG that I set up next to the uncoated Platinum and you could tell the whites were a little better with the FG (obviously), but I felt that the Platinum had better blacks (again, obviously)...but to me the 'blacker blacks' outweighed the 'whiter whites'. I'll try to do a flash of the screen...unfortunately I no longer have the FG strip, so I can't use it as a comparison.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For your viewing pleasure.

These were taken with a cheapy Kodak in auto mode in a moderately dark room (a little light spill from an adjacent room, but still pretty dark).

PS: Notice the plate amp in the bottom left-hand corner of the second picture...this beautiful Rythmik amp is currently for sale in the classified section :bigsmile:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I originally went with FG and polycoated it, but I went too thick which ruined it. I decided to give Platinum a shot and I was pretty happy with it. I had a strip of uncoated FG that I set up next to the uncoated Platinum and you could tell the whites were a little better with the FG (obviously), but I felt that the Platinum had better blacks (again, obviously)...but to me the 'blacker blacks' outweighed the 'whiter whites'. I'll try to do a flash of the screen...unfortunately I no longer have the FG strip, so I can't use it as a comparison.
Nice looking setup woozy_one :)

Let me ask you this, without another screen material for a reference, how do the whites look? A lot of times people make a comparison like that with a lighter screen and they see whiter whites and start rethinking things, but once that reference is taken away the whites usually look fine. Any muddy look or dullness when it's viewed on its own? Also... the most important question... how does it look with lights on or during the day?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the compliment...most visitors seem to enjoy our modest setup and the wife and I are very pleased with it as well:)
The whites look totally acceptable when just viewing the Platinum, and colors still have great pop. But, I was actually just shooting onto the gold wall for a while, so when I put the screen up it was obviously a huge improvement. If I had gone from a DW screen to the Platinum, my opinion might be a little different. I was definitely impressed with the ambient light performance...just to the left of where I was standing when taking the pictures are two large windows that let in some light even at night from the street lamp. During the day we close the curtains which helps to block out much of the direct light, but they are far from being able to black out the room. Obviously contrast is hurt by this light, but to me the picture is still totally watchable. I sold my IN72 to a friend and I was over there two nights ago playing some ps2. He was shooting onto a white sheet (for the time being) and I thought that the picture was MUCH better on my screen as far as colors as well as the ability to resist light goes. He's probably going to order a sheet of Platinum in the near future.

Before I poly coated my old FG screen, I did notice a little hotspotting. I don't ever recall having the same level of hotspotting on the Platinum. That's not to say that there won't be any, it's just that I DID notice some on the FG, but I DID NOT notice any on the Platinum. That's with an IN72 shooting a 100" image from 14.5' on low power.

I hope this helps others to give Platinum a shot so we can have more comparisons to FG and DW.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Rastan did you ever get your theater seats in and get them setup? You also mentioned a projector... what did you get?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Reposted with permission from skijunkie
skijunkie said:
I've finally updated my site with finished pictures of the screen I built using designer white. I also added some picture of it in action.

Check them out here:
http://home.austin.rr.com/karnfamily

I'm very happy with the result of the designer white laminate.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Another fine example of a laminate screen Home Theater, reposted with permission from puck. To see the rest of this Home Theater go to the Laminate Screen Showcase.

Entering theater.

61 - 80 of 119 Posts