Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm in the beginning stages of putting together a plan for an LLT build. One of the thoughts I had was to build the core of the enclosure out of MDF (heavily braced of course), and then add a layer of 3/4 inch knotty alder to the outside of the box. I guess the big question here is..... In doing so, will it have an adverse effect on the sound quality of the sub? I don't want to cut any corners as my aim is to have a very high quality sub when all is said and done.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Use a veneer and you will be fine. Thicker wood can expand and contract a lot based, mostly on humidity changes and actually warp and crack. Sometimes you can get sheets with factory applied veneer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Use a veneer and you will be fine. Thicker wood can expand and contract a lot based, mostly on humidity changes and actually warp and crack. Sometimes you can get sheets with factory applied veneer.
Those issues can be solved by using a good sealer. My concern is if it would have a negative impact on the sound quality of the sub.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wood moves and the thicker the more it will. Just keep this in mind when attaching the solid wood to the substrate. Across the width is where most of the movement occurs. I have yet to see a sealer that actually over time does not degrade and swelling begins.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm really looking forward to getting this thing built in a couple of months. I just finished building a media rack and entertainment center, so the reason for my choice of real wood is that I want it to match those.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm really looking forward to getting this thing built in a couple of months. I just finished building a media rack and entertainment center, so the reason for my choice of real wood is that I want it to match those.
I did a sub build with veneer and solid wood . Works great

rsz_camerazoom-20131021115147730.gif

·
Registered
213 Posts
I did a sub build with veneer and solid wood . Works great

View attachment 45502
That is beautiful! I would love to use real wood over the MDF on mine but that would require MORE curves! Not happening. Veneer it is for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts