·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lansche Audio / Aaudio Imports - Larkspur Room

The system configuration included:

No code has to be inserted here.

Wayne's Impressions

The most expensive speakers I heard at RMAF were the Lansche Audio No. 8.2's. Price tag: $266,000. Now that is expensive.

They are massive speakers, relying on mass, special materials, and an interlocking interior structure to strengthen the unit and dampen cabinet vibrations to zero. The result was Disappearing Speaker Act #3 at RMAF for me. The large room definitely had speakers in them, but they were textbook neutral, their soundstage was very wide and deep and totally immersive and cohesive, the imaging was sharp and completely stable. And you could not find the speakers from the sound. Delightful!

The No. 8.2's were one of two speakers I heard at the show with plasma tweeters. Wow, what a clean, clear, smooth tweeter! I had mentioned them earlier to another attendee, and the response was that they produced ozone and carcinogens. My thought was, "So?" A little ozone, a few molecules of poison, how bad can it be, add a super-quiet room ventilator for your quarter-million-dollar speakers, we are talking REEEEEALY SMOOOOOOOTH high frequencies! Sacrifices must be made.

And floors possibly reinforced. They weigh 880 lb. each (remember to lift with your legs, not your back). Each speaker is a complete three-way system in three modules: bass-mid and powered rear-firing subwoofer on bottom, another of the same mirrored on top, and the tweeter module sandwiched in the middle. That adds up to four separate powered subwoofers in a system. The design could have interesting implications for overcoming room mode problems, at least for the height and width dimensions of a room. They are specified from 15 Hz to 150 KHz +/- 3 dB.

Asking the rep about the Lansche tweeter, he said their design is patented and gives off no ozone or carcinogens. Electrodes are cleaned with a wire brush a few times a year (not necessary with a silk dome), new electrodes are snapped in every couple of years with no need for adjustments or calibration, and if the tweeter has a problem, the assembly can be easily removed from the unit and sent in for repair.

This kind of system is not in budget for humans who use the word "budget" about their audio expenditures. You listen so you can say you heard it once, like touching a Ferrari Enzo to say that you touched one once. I heard, or did not hear the Lansche No. 8.2's, and they sounded as good as they come.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'm really bummed about this one. I was told I should go hear it, but during my wandering time I totally forgot about it. The guy who told me to go see it thought it was the best he heard at the show, I think. Sounds like for you the only system that might have beat it was the Wilson Alexia?

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm really bummed about this one. I was told I should go hear it, but during my wandering time I totally forgot about it. The guy who told me to go see it thought it was the best he heard at the show, I think. Sounds like for you the only system that might have beat it was the Wilson Alexia?
Definitely, and if I had heard the Lansche system first I might have felt it was the best at the show, early impressions working as they do. It was flawless. And that plasma tweeter is really something special.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts