Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I just finished upgrading an HP Elitebook 8530p with a new SSD and fresh install of Win7 to use with REW and a UMIK-1. However it seems that despite my best efforts the hardware only supports 2 channel over HDMI. There are no settings in BIOS for HDMI and I've tried just about everything I can find online to remedy the situation but nothing gives me the option in the output preferences other than Channels 1 + 2. My receiver will recognize and decode a DTS signal from the laptop over HDMI (did not try a DD disc) just not seeing the option for the 8 channels in the REW software. Which I really want so I can measure each channel of my system independently, particularly the LFE (SUB) channel.

I've tried different codecs like CCCP, FFDshow you name it. Drivers are up to date as they can be for this machine.

Unless there's something I've missed it seems that it's a hardware issue and that means I've gotta get a new laptop. I really don't want to spend the money on one but will if I have to. I just want to make sure that whatever I get will work. Are there any specs to look for in a laptop to ensure it will output 8 channels of audio over the HDMI when using REW?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I don't know REW yet, but I've heard many people say any basic PC will run it. I suspect the set up needs a tweak. Don't worry, some one will chime in shortly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I don't know REW yet, but I've heard many people say any basic PC will run it. I suspect the set up needs a tweak. Don't worry, some one will chime in shortly.
Thing is the laptop runs rew it just won't allow me to see more than 2 channels of audio. From what Ive seen online it may be a limitation of the hardware in the laptop. Something about the gpu having to be a certain generation or higher to output more than 2 channels over hdmi.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Possibly...
HDMI requires the use of ASIO Drivers to address more than 2 HDMI channels, i.e., install ASIO4ALL.EXE and then set ASIO Drivers instead of JAVA Drivers in REW Preferences. See HERE from the sticky treads.

There are other setup guides. Possibly MiniDSP has more detailed info.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Possibly...
HDMI requires the use of ASIO Drivers to address more than 2 HDMI channels, i.e., install ASIO4ALL.EXE and then set ASIO Drivers instead of JAVA Drivers in REW Preferences. See HERE from the sticky treads.

There are other setup guides. Possibly MiniDSP has more detailed info.
Already followed the tutorial including installing the asio4all driver.... no go.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I don't know REW well at all, need to learn it.

On my laptop which is connected via HDMI to AVR it will bring up 8 channels under
- hardware & sound - sound - name of my AVR - configure. When configuring it allows for the 7 channels along with the sub.
Under the 'enhancements" tab it has bass management, room correction, and loudness management. When I configure the room correction it makes level adjustments along with delay for all 8 channels. Only area of the 8 channels I'm able to control (that I'm aware of) is the balance.

I'd try the configuration of the AVR like I mentioned above to see if the 8 channels appear there so you can confirm the issue is with REW if you haven't already tried that.

Edit, the enhancements tab is under settings I believe when your AVR is highlighted

1 - 8 of 8 Posts