Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have a ed 16Ov.2 D4. 11.5 ft box. When I look in WinISD it shows port velocity in the low 30's. I've researched and found alot of ideas over port velocity but, in general lower seems to be better.

I was wondering if a 8" flared port instead of a 6" flared will hurt anything. How will the larger port affect things?

The port will be the focus of the box so I think the larger port will improve things aesthetically.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've done more reading. All I can seem to find is that larger port diameter means different length of port. If there is no downside why not overshoot it to be safe?

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
Ports with larger cross sectional areas will require an increase in length as you have noticed. Eventually, if length is increased enough port resonance can become an issue. This is a rarity with circular ports and more common with slot ports although both have potential to resonate in such a manner.

More information can be found here.

As far as airspeed goes the lower the better. This means the port is acting as a more linear system allowing for less compression at high output as well as removal of port noise.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Larger ports have lower resonant frequencies...letting this get into the passband or even close to the passband will make things sound bad (as the driver or the driver's distortion will trigger the resonance).

Also, a larger port will allow more high frequency content to spill out...pretty much making it seem like there is more distortion (since the lower frequencies will be blocked).

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Port velocity (model request) Build starts SAT!!

I have concerns with the port velocity I'm showing when modeling a ED16Ov.2 D4 in a 11.5 ft box tuned to 20hz with a 6 inch port. Now I'm a rookie at this and may not know what I'm doing. I was wondering if someone could double check my build if they have a few moments.

Also I added my eq.2 to WinISD. I did it using the defaults when clicking add under eq/filter and changed the cutoff only. Was that correct thing to do? I noticed it has a big affect on port velocity. I moved the cutoff to 18hz to stay below xmax.

Feel free to critique and give opinions/ideas on anything and everything I'm doing whether it be right or wrong.

I'm just a hobbiest looking for more information before my build officially starts this weekend! I'll give pictures along the way!! I thank you guys for all your help. I couldn't do it without the help from the forums at hometheatershack.com.

Qts: .36
Qes: .42
Qms: 3.0
Fs: 23.00Hz
Re: 7.0
Vas: 254L
Mms: 202.0g
Bl: 22.10T*m
SPL: 91dB
Sd: 872cm²
Xmax: 21.0mm
Voice Coil: 62.5mm