Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I just bought a new Denon cartridge and have a bottle of Last Stylus solution and cleaning brush, do you recommend using this stuff, I read that it should not be used on a new cartridge because it puts a coating on the stylus which is detrimental to performance in the break in period. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I also read to use a 50% solution of denatured alcohol and distilled water. Please share your thoughts and suggestions. Should I just use the very nice soft bristle brush dry that came with the cartridge? My LP's are clean and I use a Hunt carbon fiber brush prior to each LP play, I also have a Cecil Watts Dust Buster which I use on every LP while playing, it follows the grooves to the run out on the LP. Sorry for all the rambling but the Last is fairly expensive and wondering if is necessary to use, thanks to all who reply.
Thank you Jeff.....

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I have not used last in many years, so I cannot say what it does these days, but when we used it we found no problems. I could see no benefit either, however. I tested new styli with it and without, looking for wear and buildup of debris and could see no difference with a microscope.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not used last in many years, so I cannot say what it does these days, but when we used it we found no problems. I could see no benefit either, however. I tested new styli with it and without, looking for wear and buildup of debris and could see no difference with a microscope.
Thank you lcaillo for the informative reply, I appreciate your honesty. Would you mind sharing what method you use to clean or wipe your styli. The carbon fiber brush and dust buster seem to work well for me and just using a dry stylus brush helps, I've used a 8x magnifier and saw no build up on stylus. Sorry for all the questions but I just got my Sota Sapphire 111 table back up and running after being in storage for twenty years, after some cleaning and lube work, new belt and remounting arm and calibrating, new catridge and outboard preamp I am very happy with the results. I just wanted to make sure I didn't compromise the new cartridge with the stylus cleaning methods that are available to me. I need to buy some new or used LP's, my collection is all from the 70's, any recommendations as to where I might purchase them? Thanks my friend for your time, much appreciated.
Jeff

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I agree with Leonard, there is no harm done when using LAST stylus treatments. There is also no benefit. :spend:

A gentle brushing is all that is needed to keep the stylus clean. Make sure you only brush one way, away from the tonearm. This will prevent damage to the cantilever.

LAST record treatments have been shown to be a worthwhile way to preserve records.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with Leonard, there is no harm done when using LAST stylus treatments. There is also no benefit. :spend:

A gentle brushing is all that is needed to keep the stylus clean. Make sure you only brush one way, away from the tonearm. This will prevent damage to the cantilever.

LAST record treatments have been shown to be a worthwhile way to preserve records

Thanks Tess, I will certainly keep that in mind.
Jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have also used LAST styles cleaner and will not be buying more when the bottle runs dry. However, the LAST record care products have given me good results and I especially like the LAST preservative. It definitely lowers friction and you can back off the anti-skaing to about 2/3 of the tracking value. I track at 1.6 grams and have the anti-skating set at 1 gram. The record cleaning brush has much less drag on a LAST treated record than on an untreated record. Less drag, less stylus heat, less wear. Records I have treated with LAST preservative show no wear after many plays.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.