Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running on REWv5 OSx. I want to get the frequency response of a piece of outboard hardware. The hardware has inherent latency. The response of the java sound engine on Room EQ seems to be pretty latent. I'm using an external sound card that has its own inherent latency.

When it tries to capture the measurement, ESC->Hardware , Hardware->ESC, the delay of the signal is so much that it doesn't capture it all and then tells me the impulse peak is in the wrong place and it may have become corrupt. How do I compensate for the latency of the system, and tell the REW to record for longer and then shift the recorded signal back in time or shift the sweep forward in time? I need to compensate for my system latency.

Thanks,
H

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
Using the M3DMixer from www.mandolane.co.uk improves the output side, output latency can also be reduced by reducing the replay buffer setting in the REW soundcard preferences.

The main problems with OS X are not latency issues (REW is very tolerant of that) but the fact that Apple's Java runtime does not allow access to the inputs of Firewire-connected soundcards and does not allow access to the inputs of (at least some) multi-channel USB cards (e.g. Tascam US-144) if they do not offer a "2-channel" mode in the Audio/Midi setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Audio latency is caused by delays processing the audio data as it travels from the outside world (or from the triggered note on a keyboard), to the computer's processor and back out again. ... The computer then has to process the audio, but the more it is doing at the time, the more data is backed up in buffers
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Latency Speed Test

1 - 3 of 3 Posts