Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 1.5 years ago I bought a Mits HD-1000U projector (720P) for less than $1000. I thought it was a great deal then and have been very pleased with it every since. 720P projectors were bargains because 1080i was the standard and 1080p projectors were just coming onto the scene at a price point bleeding-edgers were willing to pay.

Projector tech was changing fast at the time of my purchase and I've not stayed in touch with the latest developements. What's the latest deal on projectors that was near the one I got 1.5 years ago?

Regards, BmWr75

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
1080p projectors are still up there in price well above $1000 but the bigger improvement is light output and contrast ratios. They have improved that dramatically and even the 720p projectors of today will blow away what you have now.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Ok well, Here is your current projector. Its 1500 lumens with a contrast ratio of 2500:1
Here is the Panasonic PT AX200U. Its less expensive and is 2000 lumen at 6000:1 contrast ratio.
How large of a screen do you have?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
That Panasonic for the price is hard to beat. With a 102" screen you would be hard pressed to see a difference between a 720p projector and a lower end 1080p projector.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With a 102" screen you would be hard pressed to see a difference between a 720p projector and a lower end 1080p projector.
How large a screen would a person need to have to see the difference between 720p and 1080p?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Some say over 100" but others say 110" and it depends on alot of other things like screen design and the projector its self. I myself would love to upgrade my old Sanyo Z2 720p as its only 800 lumen but that would be a very tough sell to the wife. The good 1080p projectors are well out of my reach.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am dedicating my basement mostly to the HT (next to the bar, pool table..etc), so lighting wont be an issue, but I am not sure how big I really want the screen to be. What is a good size screen, if your 12-15ft away from it?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I personally would not go larger than 110", I sit 12' away (front row) and have a 96" and find that very nice and I dont find myself moving my head much to see the entire movie.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I personally would not go larger than 110", I sit 12' away (front row) and have a 96" and find that very nice and I dont find myself moving my head much to see the entire movie.
That is what I was looking for, how much head movement there was, once again tony you come through :hail:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just ordered a refurbished BenQ W5000 directly from BenQ(with the latest fw upgrade-v2.01) for $1387.00 shipped! And it's a pretty highly rated 1080 pj, for those who don't know. I'm not sure how you guys feel about refurbs, but this is the lowest price i've seen for a highly rated 1080p since they've been released. If you're interested, i talked to the woman at BenQ and she said they only had 10 units left, so you better hurry!

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
I just ordered a refurbished BenQ W5000 directly from BenQ(with the latest fw upgrade-v2.01) for $1387.00 shipped! And it's a pretty highly rated 1080 pj, for those who don't know. I'm not sure how you guys feel about refurbs, but this is the lowest price i've seen for a highly rated 1080p since they've been released. If you're interested, i talked to the woman at BenQ and she said they only had 10 units left, so you better hurry!
I came to this thread to tell folks that the W5000 was available again, and I see your post!!
I would definitely get this PJ if it had a shorter throw, as I only have 11' available, which will give me only 82".
Latest Firmware already installed as stated.

I REALLY wish this had a shorter throw lens :hissyfit::crying:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Muzz, i just received mine today. Wow, the size of this thing! I never expected it to be so big. I can't wait to get this thing mounted, but i have to finish the HT room, first. I need to paint the walls/ceiling and then paint my BW screen. Then i still have to install the carpet and move the furniture in. It's going to kill me to have to wait!

Oh, for anyone interested in the Benq deal...they won't ship out until early March, just to let you know.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Enjoy your new PJ.
I would at least plug it in and make sure there is nothing wrong with it though, so if there is an issue, it can be rectified while you are still working on the HT.

Congrats!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks! I did hook it up and power it on, but i didn't connect any video source to it. Everything seems good, except it says it has 200 hrs on the bulb. I would've thought that they would've replaced it with a brand new bulb, since it was factory refurbished. What's the normal practice?

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
I don't know, I think it's luck of the draw there, and you have the most I have heard of.

If it were me I would run it through a few tests with a DVD player/cable just to make sure there are no issues with the inputs, etc..

You may not be hooking this up for awhile, and it would be a real shame to find out that there is a problem AFTER you get all the work done, and are ready to use it....only to have to ship it back to them for repair.

Enjoy

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would think if the unit is refurb, then they would go through the entire unit and replace the bulb. That is my issue w/refurb. They fix the problem at the time, but dont fix something that is wearing out and will be a problem later, I know this is not the case in all refurb, but that is a chance you take :thud:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I bought a used adapter and they sent me gold instead of silver, a subwoofer did not match the others so I got my next free, an open box transcoder and they sent me a brand new one because they could not find the open box one, my center channel was the price of one of my mains, my open box surrounds are still working, all my used amps work alright and so does the used pre/pro. Please let my refurb projector work or have them send me a more expensive model or new one. :praying:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts