Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Team,

I would say that I'm semi tech savvy, however I'm losing touch with cables, espically cable versions.

So, equipment:
LG 55EC930T (55" Full HD Curved OLED)
Pioneer VSX-324
Speakers (Standard: packaged with the receiver)
PS3 (Blu-Ray Playback)

Standard setup. PS3 > Receiver > TV

At the moment i'm using whatever HDMI cables I had around the house, my understanding is that I should try and use 2.0, so those are already on order. Besides those, I know Ethernet cables have versions which can be very important, i'm currently using cat6.

So, do any other cables have versions, or watch outs.

The only only cables i'm using is an optical cable, RCA cables, and a RF cable for the antenna. Can these vary, are there versions of these? I have tried looking this up but I can't seem to see a standard, or incremental versions. So at the moment i'm just using what I had available.

Before I get abused, I know HDMI can transmit lossless audio, where optical can't. For some reason though when a Blu-ray plays through HDMI and the receiver displays DTS HD Master, the speech is terribly soft. If I change it to optical and it only displays DTS, the sound levels are a lot better.

RCA is for an old record player going through an old amp and the new receiver, and the receivers OSD.

I just want to make sure I've got the best available cables so it's one less thing to troubleshoot.

I do have Cat6, not cat6a, but from what I understand all that cat6a does is allows for longer cables.

Sorry this was so long, I guess there's a few questions in here.

Thanks,

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Digital cables - HDMI, USB, Ethernet - can be rated for frequency / performance. Analog cables generally are not. Features to look for include
  • shielding - double shield, % coverage
  • copper - % purity
  • gold plating on connectors - less susceptible to corrosion
  • gauge - for speaker wire
  • jacket - material, thickness
Also: optical generally is lossless digital. What digital formats are supported depends on the manufacturer and particular design (equipment, not cable).

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
CAT 5 = 100 Mbit/sec
CAT 6 = up to 1 Gbit/sec

"Best?" - no one will agree on what that is. I go by brand and price and feature. Have been happy with KabelDirekt, Mediabridge, HOSA, Monoprice Premium. I figure paying $10 to $20 for an interconnect is about the sweet spot for a good cable that will last.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts