Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lawrence Audio - Room 1122

Unfortunately, I was not able to procure a system equipment list, but I was able to see they use a Bryston BDP-1 player as a source and the speakers in the room were the Lawrence Audio Double Bass (used in the system) at $28,000 a pair and the Lawrence Audio Cello (by the entrance) at $18,000 a pair.

Specifications

The Lawrence Audio Double Bass uses two Aero striction tweeters, one purified aluminum ribbon tweeter, one rear-firing purified aluminum ribbon tweeter, one 8" aluminum frame midrange, and one 12" aluminum frame woofer. It has a stated FR of 24 Hz to 40 kHz with a nominal impedance of 8 ohms and a sensitivity of 89db. The dimensions are 55.1"x13.8"x19.7" and they weigh in at 114 lbs.

The Lawrence Audio Cello uses two air motion tweeters, one rear-firing purified aluminum ribbon tweeter, and two 8" aluminum frame woofers. It has a stated FR of 32 Hz - 40 kHz with a nominal impedance of 4 ohms and a sensitivity of 90db. The dimensions are 49"x11"x18.5" and they weigh in at 88 lbs.

No treatment was used in this room.

Joe's Impressions

I was quite enamoured with the design of the speakers - they were just so unique! Each was designed to look like a certain instrument and given the name to match the design and the finish was very elegant. I took a couple extra pictures of the base of the Cello so you could see that the uniqueness extended to the base as well.

Vocal imaging was dead center and this had to be one of the deepest soundstages I heard all weekend - it had an excellent live feel. They just had a very natural sound that allowed them to completely disappear which was quite something as I kept on looking at them due to the design.

Instrument separation was quite easy, and instrument detail was excellent. I especially liked the guitar / string instruments as I really could hear the pluck and resulting vibrations of the strings. This was the first room that I heard Nils Lofgren's wonderful "Keith Don't Go" track (and I did not hear it much at all over the weekend surprisingly enough) and it sounded amazing. Midrange punch was also very impressive.

This was a very good-looking system - the combination of industrial-style electronics coupled with the elegantly-designed speakers was a good combinations and I really liked the instrument clarity.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If I had the wherewithal to purchase the Cellos I'd be tempted to buy them on looks alone. I can picture them in a dedicated room with some accent lighting making them glow. Thankfully they'd sound as good as they look.

Thank you for venturing where some of us cannot go and for reporting back.

I may not be able to afford them(my current vehicle cost less) but I can dream. And then sit in my living room and be happy with what I have (ok mostly happy, there always seems to be something that needs upgrading).

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Those are some very unique looking (i.e. weird) speakers, but I like that :D. I like listening to different designs (can never afford them myself). The only one I listened to that had a unique shape (not quite as odd on the rear as the ones from Lawrence Audio) are the Revel Salons. Those sounded pretty amazing, but also too much $$$ for my pocket. Back in the day B&W had the Matrix 800 (the one with the large woofers top and bottom, very tall speakers) that looked 'odd for the day') which sounded pretty amazing.

Thanks for the review! I'm sure they sound amazing, especially using ribbons (I'm just not sure of the rear firing one though as I haven't been a fan of any speakers that product sound from the rear, mostly due to being more difficult in placement).

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You bet guys - it really is a treat to be able to attend these shows and share our experiences.

I understand about the rear-firing drivers - but, of course, given the price of some of these speakers, I am sure those companies figure that someone buying their equipment has a dedicated two channel room and can place them anywhere. Having that rear-firing driver really adds a ton of depth to the soundstage if you can get it positioned right.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have seen something like this on a mag I think it is vivaldi audio,I dont know where I got the idea but I always wondered what a woofer and dome tweeter would sound like in a martin or similar well made acoustic guitar would sound like.It does make sense to do it in a cello or double bass body thanks for pic and review I would love to of seen them in person,I went to my first audio event in 2013(capitol audio fest) I plan on going to at least 2 more in 2014 because of stuff like this thanks again
CD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts