Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm using an IET DE-5000. I haven't used it much yet, but I like what I've seen so far. The only quibble I have so far is that the short-circuit calibration is somewhat finicky. If I clip the alligator leads to each other directly, I can never get a valid short-circuit cal. But if I clip them both to a resistor lead to form a short, the short-circuit cal is fine. My guess is that when the alligator clip leads are clipped directly to each other, a loop of non-negligible area is formed, because they meet each other at right angles. When they are both clipped to a resistor lead, the alligator clip leads are parallel and snug against each other (with rubber insulation), giving minimal loop area.

EEVblog has video reviews of several, including the IET. The IET DE-5000 video review is here. The list of all EEVblog videos is here. A text search for "LCR meter" on the latter page turns up several, but I have only viewed the one for the IET.

I got the IET through Amazon, who I think has it drop-shipped from IET directly.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I looked around a bit for less expensive ones and found this thread on EEVblog that discusses them. The only low-cost one I found that people aren't complaining about is the AADE L/C meter. At $130, it does not meet your $100 requirement, and does not measure resistance, but has good accuracy specs. The web page has links to a number of reviews (which I assume are positive but I have not read them).

That EEVblog forum post also lists several other alternatives that might be worth checking out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts