Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my quest to learn as much as many here and prepare for building my first SUB I've been encouraged to just ask, ask, ask.

This will begin a series of questions that I hope everyone will chime in and help a newbie become converted to a DIYer.

Question:
I noticed that when building and tuning subs there is a range of hz that many shoot for (12-20). Practically speaking how noticeable in a HT (movies) enviroment is with a 15hz sub versus a 17hz sub?

(based on my research I am thinking of building an 18 inch Mach5 IX with a sonosub and a EP2500 amp...tuned to 17hz). This last sentence is almost cut and paste from suggestions...I really am not as fluent in the terminilogy...kinda like know a little spanish and trying to speak with a native)

Keep in mind that my only point of reference is my SVS PB12. This is all I've ever known (and really like by the way) however I am very intrigued and quite honestly it is hard to image how sub could be better than my current (but I do believe everyone also that says it can get much better.

My room is 14x24x8.5.. pics attached.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
You probably won't notice much between a sub tuned to 15Hz and one tuned to 17Hz... You will however notice a sub that can reach lower with authority. I went from a ported 15" sub tuned to 17Hz to an IB subwoofer that will reach down to 10Hz with decent umph. BIG difference.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You probably won't notice much between a sub tuned to 15Hz and one tuned to 17Hz... You will however notice a sub that can reach lower with authority. I went from a ported 15" sub tuned to 17Hz to an IB subwoofer that will reach down to 10Hz with decent umph. BIG difference.
thanks Darren...per SteveCallas' recommendation I will probably go with large sonosub down to 12-13hz...cant get IB setup in my theater.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Darren said:
You probably won't notice much between a sub tuned to 15Hz and one tuned to 17Hz... You will however notice a sub that can reach lower with authority
Right.

Mattlock said:
quite honestly it is hard to image how sub could be better than my current
:R Just wait.

per SteveCallas' recommendation I will probably go with large sonosub down to 12-13hz...cant get IB setup in my theater.
Well I probably wouldn't tune that low with the Mach driver as you'll lose some headroom. Don't worry about not getting an IB set up, you stand to gain more with ports every time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts