Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any "advantage" to having LED or some other lighting from behind the screen as to giving the perception of better contrast during a movie?
I picked up some of these from Ikea and they can even change color. I already have the same but in warm white as under counter lighting in my kitchen for 5 years and are on 24/7 and have not burnt out.

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Tony,

Behind the screen lighting is more of an effects lighting when other lights are on in the theatre..It won't give you better contrast projecting a movie..In fact the opposite..
The blacker the area around the screen, the better the contrast..

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Prof, thats kind of what i thought, Looks cool though :)

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
If you want to have that effect, most people use multi colour LED strip lighting..
You can a get a roll of it with a colour changer from eBay fairly cheaply..

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good idea. :T

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
The other thing is..if you connect the LED lighting to a dimmer and slowly dim the screen halo lighting as the movie starts, it looks very affective!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive got a lutron dimmer hooked up to some rope light already I just have to program the harmony to control it still.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I would not recommend any lighting in the room during a screening of a film, but ambient light adds a nice touch when you bring friends in to the room. If that light fades out as the feature begins, even better. I saw rope light being used behind a "floating screen" a while back and it did look good, but I found myself looking at the edged of the image rather than being immersed by the image. In other words, I was distracted by it.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Backlighting should be neutral in color and approximately 10% of the brightness of the image on the screen. Colored backlighting alters the perception of the color of the image in the same way that backlighting alters the perception of contrast.

For projectors, the increase in ambient light must be very carefully considered, as this may offest the gain in perceived contrast.

Even with backlighitng that has a spectrum as close to neutral as possible, if the wall is not neutral, the offset in color will be visible.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I remember reading an article a handful years back not to watch tv in the dark, and if possible, to have a light behind the screen. This is back when CRT's were in majority of households. I found it to be a lot easier on the eyes since CRT's were fairly bright.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
SMPTE recommends backlighting. It is a rather well understood phenomenon that increasing the surrounding light level slightly makes the "blacks" on the screen look blacker, thus increasing the peceived contrast ratio. Again, however, with a projector, one has to be very careful not to increase the light on the screen and wash out the blacks with ambient light.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The interesting part is that even if it does not work the way I think it could it will look great before the movie starts. I will take some pictures once I have it done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts