Legacy Audio Focus SE & Marquis HD Review

For the Full Review: Click Here!

MSRP: $13,295
Value: :4.5stars:
Fit & Finish: :5stars:
Home Theater Performance: :5stars:
Music Performance: :5stars:
Overall: :5stars:

Summary: After three months and many, many hours, I had become very closely acquainted with the Focus SEs and Marquis HD. In fact, I got pretty attached to these remarkable speakers. I was so proud of the sound that I invited friends over to hear the difference - I even invited neighbors. At one point, Dale and I spent an hour enjoying some metal on the Focus SE's and even he walked away a believer that these were worth the price. It's difficult to describe what makes a speaker great in words without the technical knowledge of someone like Bill Dudleston. It's even more difficult to convince somebody that it is possible to spend close to ten thousand dollars on a pair of speakers and have it be worth every penny. I realize I may not have convinced you that these speakers are as good as I claim. I may not even have convinced you to read through this entire monstrous review. If you'll bear with me however, I'd like to leave you with one inescapable conclusion I reached during my time with the Legacy Audio Focus SE's.

What is it that attracts us all to this hobby, causes us to spend countless hours and dollars in the pursuit of better sound and video? I believe that it is the difference between a cheap seat theater and the IMAX, or the difference between a good home theater, and a great one. Once you’ve heard how good it can be, it’s hard to go back.

These speakers have allowed me to appreciate music, movies, and the sheer joy of listening in an entirely new way. Listening through the Focus SE's is a very simple thing: it’s the difference between listening to a recording, and being there.

For the Full Review: Click Here!

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Those sound like remarkable speakers - and the cabinets look top-notch...

The drivers look like a total mash-up though. I'm assuming that it's function over form? Differing spacing, cone materials, driver shapes, etc. Looks like 4 way, perhaps?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
They look like extremely well-engineered speakers all-around.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Awesome review Dave... :T

116 lbs. on the center... am I reading that right? Wow! That is seriously heavy.

I have my speakers toe-in set similar to what you did here... center aimed to just behind my head is where the magic seems to work best.

That is remarkable response too from those 12's. I have always found it hard to get that good of a low response with the mains due to the location requirements. I believe I could live with the aggravation of switching the xover for music if I could get my speaker's low frequency to respond accordingly.

I know that my review is utterly invalid without 900 dollar interconnects or at the very least some reference grade tube amps...
You meant "9000 dollar" didn't you? 900 might be a bit on the cheesy side for some. :whistling:

Legacy is one of those brands that I awe'd at back in the day when I use to read Stereo Review and see their ads. I have always thought they were some of the best looking speakers, but of course never have heard them. Your review confirms my thoughts as to how they might sound. If I can ever see to part with my MLs, I may one day give these a spin.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Great review, Dave!! I really like Legacy Audio's products and this review only reaffirms that.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I think ever since i was into audio Legacy was one of those brands i always wanted but couldn't afford.:spend:

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
I think ever since i was into audio Legacy was one of those brands i always wanted but couldn't afford.:spend:
I'm new to Legacy - but after reading about the engineering/philosophy...... looks like great speakers.

But yeah, beyond my price range too..

I goggled and a couple sites seemed to suggest a price closer to 8-9K. Maybe Audiogon would make these almost affordable ;)

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I'm new to Legacy - but after reading about the engineering/philosophy...... looks like great speakers.

But yeah, beyond my price range too..

I goggled and a couple sites seemed to suggest a price closer to 8-9K. Maybe Audiogon would make these almost affordable ;)
I've been looking at Legacy's for allmost 20yrs and have always wanted there model with the 4 15" woofers (can't recall the model) but new it was always a pipe dream to own them also, there subwoofers from back then seem to have been more then what they are today but with technology changes there new subs may just blow the old ones out of the water.
Maybe once i start playing the lottery and win my dreams will come true.:whistling:

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Dave - Great review. I bought a pair of Legacy Model 1's and a Soundcraftsmen amp from Bill in November, 1988, and LOVED those speakers.

What is going to happen to the review pair of Focus?

Bill Duddleston - if you are reading this, I have a McIntosh MA-6900 amp that would work great on those speakers. Let me know if you want to sell the review pair to an old friend. :T

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Excellent review Dave!

Legacy speakers have been on my want list for a loooooooong time. I have always heard how great they sound and the build quality has always looked amazing from photo's. If I ever win the lotto a pair a full set of Legacy speakers will be mine:praying:

·
Senior Shackster
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Craig,

Sadly, the Legacies have returned home already. That said, I'm sure Bill would love to sell you some. I'll be buying some myself as soon as it's in the budget :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been looking at Legacy's for allmost 20yrs and have always wanted there model with the 4 15" woofers (can't recall the model)
Hi bambino- the 4 15" woofers are found in our Whisper speakers- the latest incarnations being the Whisper XD and Whisper HD.

Glad you enjoyed the Focus and Marquis, Dave!

All the best,
James

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I really enjoyed the review. I was seriously considering the legacy speakers when I purchased my speakers for my two channel system. I really like the look and the design. I kept looking a them but in the end went with the RC4 from Selah Audio. I thought they had a similiar design and I liked the custom finishes. If I had read this review before I might have been swayed back to the legacy, but there is always the next set.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Excellent review. Should I win the lotto these will be on the short list.

I really enjoyed the part where you invited over friends and neighbors to show off the pair of speakers you were reviewing. That to me really demonstrates how impressed you were.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Having a pair of the FOCUS SE I can say that Dave nailed the review. It is somewhat difficult to find the right words to explain to someone just how these speakers perform and I think he got it right. Well done!

I have been a Legacy owner since 1994 through several models. When Dave says Bill designs these speakers to work with your room the validation for me is over the years all of the models I have owned have always had very similar personalities which they should if they are "working with your room". That shows consistency with Bill's philosophies and as technology and expertise has improved over the years that sound has become very refined with his latest models. Case in point on Legacy's site there is a video of Bill comparing the previous Eton mid drivers to the latest Rohacell units. I thought the Eton's were great but listen to the comparisons in the video and you will agree how much better the Rohacell are. I know this sounds like a commercial but I simply can't see how it gets any better from here. Love these speakers!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Wow great review. It's nice to see reviews of Legacy -- they don't get enough love in the mainstream audio press IMO. As some others have said, I've watched Legacy Audio for several years (going back into the late 1990s). Never had the coin to spend on them, and unfortunately have never had the chance to hear them either. I am at the point where I could consider the Studio HD for a new stereo/home theater setup. Anyone here heard that particular model?

1 - 20 of 174 Posts