Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing an Epson 8350 to project onto a 110" screeen
I am using a ceiling mount and will be installing approx 15' from screen so I believe the zoom will address filling the screen. But I am thinking of shifting the unit almost 2' to align with some existing wiring.
As I read about the Epson, the shift can address up to 1/4 of screen width. This will be on the border since the width of the screen will be 96".
My question: does screen shift have any effect on image quality? Is it truly a mechanical shift of the lens in the housing? If so I am assuming the image will remain sharp, just shifted.
I want the esthetics of clean wiring but not at the cost of the sharpest picture I can get.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Lens shift does not effect image quality unless you really start to get into the very farthest shift range.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yes, it is a mechanical shift in the lens apparatus. I would not expect a discernable impact on sharpness or overall image quality within the manufacturer's stated range.

Do you have an opportunity to test before permanently mounting it?

Regards,
sga2

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I am holding off on painting until I install all the equipment and test things out so I will be able to move things and spackle the holes should I not like the initial results. I was just checking feedback in case there were some glaring "don't waste your time" kind of comments. Looks like I will give it a try and see if I can get both a clean look and a sharp picture.
Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts