Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts
any comments between the samsung 3600 and 2500? ie, is there any benefit of the 2500?

note on the ps3,
getting the ps3 to play well with existing universal remotes can be a pain in the tail, i'm not knocking the ps3's performance, only that if you buy one and plan on it 'just working' via your current universal remote your out of luck unless you get the add on ir device for the ps3

I really believe that both players are excellent (3600 & 2500), according to several reviews on both these two great players. I wouldn't worry for one bit. Besides, the 3600 is a newer model with more features, and still with an excellent picture quality. I don't think you'll be able to notice a difference between these two players. If I'll have to pick one, I'll be hard press at which one to choose. I guess money could influence my final decision, and also the set of features.

Cheers,
Bob

I have to second eugo's first question - are you going to be purchasing blue ray discs or dvds? Blue ray discs are priced ridiculously high in my opinion. Do you have a large dvd collection? Most any dvd player will be faster and more responsive playing dvds than a blue ray player, and you can probably pick up a good upscaling dvd player for less than $100.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
I ended buying a Costco Panasonic 605 and the picture is awesome. Problem is that sometimes the sound works, sometimes not. Plugged in the old DVD player and I had sound via HDMI, so it is the BR.

With Costco's return policy, I will probably purchase either the LG 390 or the Samsung 2500 depending on what prices I see on Black Friday, and then return the Panny to Costco.

I ended buying a Costco Panasonic 605 and the picture is awesome. Problem is that sometimes the sound works, sometimes not. Plugged in the old DVD player and I had sound via HDMI, so it is the BR.

With Costco's return policy, I will probably purchase either the LG 390 or the Samsung 2500 depending on what prices I see on Black Friday, and then return the Panny to Costco.
Hi Rancho,

You probably meant the Panasonic DMP-BD60, right?

I will simply exchange it for the same model (if yours is defective). The BD60 is a great player, perhaps you just got one that is defective, I'm surprised though. Did you make sure that your HDMI cables were properly connected?

Also, the Panasonic is a solid brand and reliable too (firmware, customer service, performance...).

* If you insist on changing brand, then the Samsung BD-P2500 would be my second choice.
And the LG 390 ain't to shabby either.

On Black Friday, any of these three players should be well below your original target price, and would satisfied you, I'm sure.

Happy trail,
Bob

My hope is the Samsung 2500, but I was wondering if it is a "new" model or if it will be replaced soon.
No, it ain't new, but it's very good (has the HQV Reon video processor). :T Recommended for sure.

* The newest one I believe (goes so fast now), is the BD-P3600 & also the BD-P1600.

** But just for your info, the Panasonic DMP-BD60 can be had for only $130, and it is one of the very best blu-ray player on the market. I know you already had it, but I will exchange it for the same on Black Friday (you said you have an audio problem with it, right?).

That is my humble opinion.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
No, it ain't new, but it's very good (has the HQV Reon video processor). :T Recommended for sure.

* The newest one I believe (goes so fast now), is the BD-P3600 & also the BD-P1600.

** But just for your info, the Panasonic DMP-BD60 can be had for only $130, and it is one of the very best blu-ray player on the market. I know you already had it, but I will exchange it for the same on Black Friday (you said you have an audio problem with it, right?).

That is my humble opinion.
Soon after buying the Costco version of the BD-60 (BD-605) I subscribed to NetFlix, something I never thought I would do. The Panasonic does not have NetFlix streaming and the 2500 does.

I am open, however, to all arguments convincing me to stay with the BD-60. I appreciate your input.

Earlier today I saw a sony player with netflix playback ability which I was unaware of, I think it was $220 so it may be just what you're looking for, especially with a seasonal price drop...you might take a look

Soon after buying the Costco version of the BD-60 (BD-605) I subscribed to NetFlix, something I never thought I would do. The Panasonic does not have NetFlix streaming and the 2500 does.

I am open, however, to all arguments convincing me to stay with the BD-60. I appreciate your input.
Why not get a Roku? They cost 100 bucks and have all the features and streaming.

Mmm... Entry level blu-ray player for $200.

Is it for the picture, or is it for Netflix?

* Well, personally I pick picture quality first, why my choice with the Panny BD60. It's an entry blu-ray player ($130 street).

** If you want Netflix HD movie on-demand streaming, with also great picture quality, and the price is also right, then go with the Sammy P2500 (it does have Netflix, right?). And it has a great VP. And it's a great blu-ray player, for less than $200.

*** All in all, you made a smart choice with the 2500. :T And I know that the price is also amazingly low.

))) Did you knew that the other model #, the 2550 adds Pandora music streaming?

P.S. lsiberian suggestion ain't a bad idea at all. The BD60 with the Roku cost only $230 right now, but who knows on Black Friday... I bet your target price of $200 will finally be reach with that combo. What da ya think now?

I just read about Roku, thanks. I've never seen them before.

How do I hook it to my PJ and Onkyo 705? There is only one HDMI out on my 705.

Do I get decent sound?
The Roku has an HDMI output that you connect to your Onkyo TX-SR705 HDMI input.
You don't need two HDMI outputs from your 705.
-> There is also an Ethernet port to connect to your PJ. Plus there is Component out, and a digital Optical out also.

Decent sound? You'll have to try for yourself to see if you're please.

* May I suggest that you Google 'Roku reviews' to find out eveything there is to know.
They're several reviews all over about Roku, and about the connections and the sound and picture quality.
There is one at PC mag, another one at Audioholics, C-Net, and a whole lot more all around.
I don't want to give you links, as I'd like to stay on topic with the title of this thread.

Cheers,
Bob

Well considering I had far less than your predicted budget I saw Philips BDP3000 at ASDA store yesterday for £97.00 pounds. I did hesitate at first going back and have another look and then decided the time is right.

Prices have come down and all the flame wars that generated so much heat and negativity including myself, where I was once cynical about this format war.

I’m not sure if I noticed the up-scaling of DVD I’d have to take another close look.

I did however notice the blinding difference (Bluray Terminator 3 Rise of The Machines) on my LCD video projector with settings on the Philips set at 1080i (wow nice looking).

Shame about the bed sheet that I’m using thou LOL at least the sound matches the visual onscreen action with x5 JBL behind it.

Other than that I’m fairly pleased with this entry budget model. I can’t believe HMV was selling the same model at £112.00 sigh well that’s just typical of HMV.

http://www.consumer.philips.com/c/blu-ray-dvd/bdp3000_05/prd/gb/

I was kinder disappointed that this model didn’t support optical output or six channel RCA phone but it works with my old Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select (9 years old) the audio has noticeable difference.

Its like the DVD is heavily increased with loudness and the Bluray seems to play at different level.

Same film same player same AVR.

With Terminator 3 Rise of The Machines the level needs to be far less on the AVR (in –db level) where the Bluray its more natural sounding and the level needs to go up!

Too bad my AVR doesn’t support a way of reducing the level on DVD Dolby digital down by some many db (although I have just hammered out and idea on how to do it).

If I had DVD player with 6 channel output on the player I could patch that into the AVR 6 channel in and reduce the levels on the DVD player down by so many db. There sorted!

i'm confused about the suggestion around the bd60 and the roku at $230

wouldn't one be better off going with the samsung 3600 for $220 [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BD-P3600-1080p-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B001TK3D4K[/ame] for example

then you would get wifi/netflick/blu ray all in one

21 - 40 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.