Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People always assume that high end high priced audio will be superior in every aspect to your standard receiver, this can be true when dealing with analog 2CH setups but in home theater it is not. High end companies either do a direct rebadged and sell it for a huge profit or they design their own but as you will see there is nothing high end about it.

Lexicon MC-12.

Here we see the Digital I/O Board "top" and Analog I/O Board "bottom" obviously they are in no way superior to how a receiver is built/designed. Obviously there will be no sonic improvements using a DSP/DAC since the high end does not use anything special or better then what is used in today's receivers so the difference would be in the analog section of the product. As you can see there is nothing superior about the analog section of a very expensive Lexicon MC-12.

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Lexicon/mc12/smr_images.html

Here is where I found the pictures.

Halcro SSP100/200.

The halcro uses the Vinci Labs Titan OEM SSP platform.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=973556

http://www.avtalk.co.uk/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=18281&prevloaded=1&rid=0&SQ=0&start=0

In these threads we found out that they do infact use the titan platform.

As you can see by the back layout the halcro "top" and parasound "bottom" have the same layout and most of it is exactly the same. The halcro also uses the following DSP/DAC, Audio DSP: Motorola DSP56367 Audio DAC: ASAHI KASEI AK4395 The HDMI also has an Audio DSP: Motorola DSP56371.

Mcintosh MX135/136.

The DSP system Mac uses.

http://www.mds.com/products/product.asp?prod=DAE-5

The analog section for one channel.

This shows the power supply section of the mac, the two things I did like about the make is the power section and the analog section when compaired to the lexicon.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Very interesting... I think I'm learning this the hard way.

So what would an MC-12 really be worth... in your or anyone else's estimation?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what would an MC-12 really be worth... in your or anyone else's estimation?
As far as audio performance it would not be worth more then a middle of the line denon receiver but since these units are not mass produced (I have not seen the lexicon factory) it would cost more based on worker fee's. I do not care if people buy high end equipment but do not say that is sounds superior especially when it comes to home theater.

·
Registered
407 Posts
This looks like a good place to introduce this research article. I don't think high end A/V gear would be immune to the same power of suggestion.

This is what I think separates an SVS type company from so called "high end" brands. They're founded on engineering principles, which to me, include pricing that covers their costs (R&D, mfg, real estate, house keeping, etc) plus a modest profit margin. As the referenced research shows, a company can increase the perception of quality by simply charging more with no material/accounting basis for it.

Anybody remember the dust up when the original Outlaw 950 was identified as having no identifiable differences with Atlantic Technology and Sherbourn Lab's prepro? The latter two had MSRPs nearly double the Outlaw's price. Sherbourn did try to make a weak argument that their model used some unidentified higher quality parts above the standard platform developed by EastTech for the 3 companies to share.

Manufacturers have probably gotten more sophiscticated now, but once upon a time, some hid features in a product line by simply supplying the various price points with different remote controls. The lower priced unit, say a CD player, wouldn't have a random play feature that the brand's $100 more model did. One day some enterprising person pointed the upline model's remote at the lower priced unit and pressed Random...oops. If you've ever worked in manufacturing to price points, this is just a common sense approach. Do the R&D more or less once and then plug and play components (DAC, DSP chip, etc) and turn on/off features that are going to be in the firmware regardless to stratify a product line. If you think about it, it works for most any type of consumer product. What makes Diesel jeans worth more than Levis?

-Brent

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I am not a proponent of high end products, but I do have a brain and there are often significant differences in amplifiers and processors. For instance, the design of a D/A converter can be significantly different in two circuits implementing the same chips and result in very different performance. To assume that just because a product is expensive it is overpriced, or that the parts don't make a difference. The proof is in the pudding as they say. Evaluate the performance, feature content, and usability, then discuss the value of a unit. Making assumptions can just as easily make you wrong as it can make you right.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
but the software written on them. And Lexicon has some really great room correction stuff. Sure, others have systems that do similar things, and some cost a whole lot less.
Yes but we are dealing with DD and DTS, they write the code. Don't start with logic7 because you can get that in a HK receiver.

For instance, the design of a D/A converter can be significantly different in two circuits implementing the same chips and result in very different performance.
But we obviously did not see that in the pictures.

http://www.lexicon.com/image_library/RV5_rear_lo.jpg

http://www.harmankardon.com/back.aspx?prod=AVR%20745&cat=REC&sType=C&Region=USA&Country=US&Language=ENG&ImgName=AVR745B.jpg

As we can see in these pictures the lexicon receiver is a direct rebadge of the HK.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The Lexicon is a poor choice to compare as a "high end" product, as most everyone knows that in the case of Lexicon, the only thing high end is the price. I have never seen that MC12 reviewed by anyone with credibility that didn't rate it as merely average. However, I do believe (actually, I know because I can hear it) that there are differences in some equipment. John Curl for example designs amps and preamps (for Parasound mainly) that are as good as that equipment gets and while they are not cheap, they are a fraction of the price of the uber high end companies who shall remain nameless from me...and I have tried many many times to hear a difference...what little difference there is comes down to a matter of "voicing" IMHO. That said, and again speakers of superior quality must be used, but, I can definitely hear the difference between a mid fi AVR and a stout pre/pro with a couple of super beefy amps...and no, not merely in the volume either (I'm really not interested in the volume)!

I think we all know that Porsche, BMW, Audi, and some of the other high end cars are well worth the difference in price over their lower priced competitors (although admittedly not in all cases). I think we all also realise that rebadging is evident in many cases with autos. I for one took out an Infiniti G35 and a top of the line Nissan Altima. The price for the Altima was a fraction of the Infiniti, but for all intents and purposes IMHO they were except for minor cosmetic differences; essentially the same automobile. I find much the same between Honda and Acura, and Toyota and Lexus. Don't get me wrong, there are some "foo foo" differences I perceived, but not a lot, and certainly not enough to justify the price difference. We all however must remember that for a lot of people, the badge alone justifies the price to them in their mind, and so...who are we to say different...it's all in the perception (mostly).

Cheers,
Konky.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm talking about room correction technology. Doesn't this Lexicon piece include their room calibration/correction software?
The MC-12 can have this option (for $3000).

I can definitely hear the difference between a mid fi AVR and a stout pre/pro with a couple of super beefy amps...and no, not merely in the volume either (I'm really not interested in the volume)!
Who said anything about amps? What processor would you say is one of the better to pick from?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Your sarcastic response does not enhance the discussion. Many people have very different levels of perception and value performance levels differently. Some people simply may not care about the differences between an Altima and a G35 and might never notice them while some people may not care about the difference between a cheap receiver or boom box with an IC for an output device an a more capable amplifier.

Lets stick to the topic and not get into criticism or sarcasm directed at individuals. If you want to point out a difference in the two models that he did not note, this is fine. It can be done in a manner that tells the facts but does not start a personal battle. We have seen this kind of thing go on in other forums and are not interested in it here. Stick to the facts and minimize the sarcasm directed at individuals.

·
Registered
228 Posts
DS21...Thankfully we absolutely do live in entirely different universes, and I'm at a loss for words to express how happy I am about that fact! :yay::jump::yay:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Okay guys... Leonard has already expressed that we don't need the sarcasm... as well as our rules prohibit the same. Let's stay on topic with the OP thread.

Thanks! :T

·
Registered
204 Posts
Currently I have the Outlaw 990 processor. Very pleased. Outlaws 997 is coming out for the holidays. I have looked at the Integra 9.8 which is discontinued and I do not know if the Integra 9.9 is worth the added price. The Outlaw 997 will sell for $1400 and since I am an owener of the 990 there will be a $200 discount.
I also have the Outlaw 7700 amplifier but do not intend to sell.

Any opinion as to other processors that are of good quality and reasonably priced?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I am not a proponent of high end products, but I do have a brain and there are often significant differences in amplifiers and processors. For instance, the design of a D/A converter can be significantly different in two circuits implementing the same chips and result in very different performance. To assume that just because a product is expensive it is overpriced, or that the parts don't make a difference. The proof is in the pudding as they say. Evaluate the performance, feature content, and usability, then discuss the value of a unit. Making assumptions can just as easily make you wrong as it can make you right.
I totally agree with you. It becomes even more important when manufacturers uses DSP, FPGA, processors to perform the most complex tasks. And in this case, the complexity is hidden and it can cost 10times more for a company to implement a better solution than a simple one. Component cost is not easy to see either: a 1% (or 0.5%) resistor can cost 10, 100, 500 times more than a standard 5% or 10% part, just because the required value is special, the ordered quantity is low or the specs are much better.

Looking at the product package is also an incorrect way to judge a product IMO. It's not because two products have the same packaging (front and back panels) that they are the same inside. Yamaha receivers for instance are often very similar on the outside but can be VERY different on the inside. It's simply used to improve reuse of parts and save costs.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Well, the Yamaha analogy is a poor one. In fact, most of the rebadging that they have done for multiple lines has been he same product with slighly different feature sets, if even that difference. My point is that one should not assume that some of the same parts or chassis means complete similarity. You would think, however, that manufacturers would point out the differences and be proud of them if they are there.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Currently I have the Outlaw 990 processor. Very pleased. Outlaws 997 is coming out for the holidays. I have looked at the Integra 9.8 which is discontinued and I do not know if the Integra 9.9 is worth the added price. The Outlaw 997 will sell for $1400 and since I am an owener of the 990 there will be a $200 discount.
I also have the Outlaw 7700 amplifier but do not intend to sell.

Any opinion as to other processors that are of good quality and reasonably priced?
I sometimes wonder about the differences between Onkyo and Integra they are the same company and in my opinion the Integra line is over priced. They say that they use better components with less tolerance but dont know if that truly makes for an audible difference in the end. For example you can get an Onkyo 876 for around $1100 a comparable Integra dtr 9.8 is well over $2000 whats even more intresting is the Integra dhc 9.9 is about $1600 and has no amplifier section. I question this logically it should be less money not more dont you think. The Outlaw line seems to have a much better price and in my opinion is just as good.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
As has been pointed out, small changes in precision in parts can represent dramatic price increases. Consider also that the Integra line represents a very small part of overall sales. The volume of each item sold is likely several orders of magnitude smaller, which makes for much higher cost. When you intend to sell a few thousand of something, compared to tens or hundreds of thousands, the production costs are very different.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks Tony,
You are right about the Integra 9.8 being discontinued and the 9.9 is picking up the flag and carrying on with Integras' legacy. The price for the Integra 9.9 is $1600.00. That's and additional $400.00 more than the 997 will cost me. ($1200.00) plus shipping and handling.
I want a deal and I do believe the 997 is it. I am very pleased with the 990 and Outlaws customer support.
I had been noseing around for a processor and was impressed with the Integra but I am cautious about pulling the trigger especially before the 997 comes out.
The salesperson claims the Integra will really update the picture quality of my Infocus 7205 quite a bit.
Personelly I do not think that I have a bad picture now with the 990 and the 997 video processing is suppose to be superior.
I guess I had to be patient and wait.
Thanks for your input.
Frank

·
Registered
90 Posts
the same subject have been posted all over the web, with differnet name, but always the same writing style. Someone is on a crusade.

Similarly, one mona lisa over the other are getting rip-off because it's the same thing as the former. Same colors, same smile, same...the first one is only a poster

·
Banned
601 Posts
Lexicon MC-12 HD review:

@ http://hometheaterreview.com/lexicon-mc-12-hd-music-cinema-reviewed/
-> Just write your e-mail address and subscribe FREE to it.

* By the way, this Pre/Pro list for $14,000 USA.

But the street price is about $10,895 (one is for sale right now, at Ultimate Audio Video).
Also, one was sold at Audiogon for only $6,500 (and Yes, it was the MC-12 HD version).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts