Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Teufel Theater 8 THX-UltraII 5.1 speaker setup (http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/teufeltheater8.shtml). Am I correct with the following statements:

1. If I set the Crossover Frequency to 70Hz everything that contains bass in the signal that is send to the fronts, center and rears gets cut of and played by my subwoofer.
2. If I set the LPF of LFE on 120Hz all content in the (5).1 (LFE signal) up to 120Hz is produced my my subwoofer. Condition of this is to set the crossover on the subwoofer to OFF.
3. THe LPF of LFE setting has nothing to do with crossover of frequencies of the main speakers.

If my above statements are correct, I still have remaining settings that I m not sure what to set them too.

1. the setting LFE or LFE+MAIN
and
2. speaker setting Small or Large

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
THX-UltraII said:
I have a Teufel Theater 8 THX-UltraII 5.1 speaker setup (http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/teufeltheater8.shtml). Am I correct with the following statements:

1. If I set the Crossover Frequency to 70Hz everything that contains bass in the signal that is send to the fronts, center and rears gets cut of and played by my subwoofer.
2. If I set the LPF of LFE on 120Hz all content in the (5).1 (LFE signal) up to 120Hz is produced my my subwoofer. Condition of this is to set the crossover on the subwoofer to OFF.
3. THe LPF of LFE setting has nothing to do with crossover of frequencies of the main speakers.

If my above statements are correct, I still have remaining settings that I m not sure what to set them too.

1. the setting LFE or LFE+MAIN
and
2. speaker setting Small or Large
You sound as though you have a pretty good handle on it. For your first question by selecting LFE+main all bass below the crossover point will be sent to both the sub and the mains. My experience is this produces over exaggerated bass and does not sound good to me. I prefer all bass going to my sub as that's what it was designed for as well as relieving my AVR's amp of the workload. As for question number two small or large I personally set all of my speakers to small with a crossover of 80. I have found this to sound the best on my system but to each his own. Tinker with it and take notes and choose the settings that sound best to you.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Crossover with a THX setup should be set at 80hz and your LPF set at 120hz. Based on the THX processing this should provide you optimum enjoyment. Saying that, to each is own and whatever sounds best to your ears in your room is what you should follow. Depending on your room correction setup/program, some processors will ask if THX and automatically set points for best high level listening, i.e. THX reference level.

Brian in Bakersfield...

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
I am in agreement with the above Posts. Definitely set the LPF of LFE to 120hz. As your Speaker System is THX Ultra2 Certified, definitely set them to an 80hz Crossover which corresponds to a Small Setting on the AVR/SSP Bass Management. I would not do LFE+Main as it would set your Mains to Full Range whereas they are not Full Range Speakers. Truth be told, a tiny portion of Speakers can honestly go down anywhere close to 20hz and those that are cost as much as a very nice Automobile. So I would simply have the Subwoofer handle all frequencies below 80hz. I love Areadvd.de and spend a great deal of time there. Google Translate is a beautiful thing.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thxz for all replies guys. Really helpfull.

I now have the following settings:
- Small for all speakers
- Crossover freq. 80Hz
- LPF of LFE 120Hz
- setting LFE+MAIN/LFE set on LFE only

Last thing I need to know is my subwoofer setting. On what freq. do I put my subwoofer rotation button?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
thxz for all replies guys. Really helpfull.

I now have the following settings:
- Small for all speakers
- Crossover freq. 80Hz
- LPF of LFE 120Hz
- setting LFE+MAIN/LFE set on LFE only

Last thing I need to know is my subwoofer setting. On what freq. do I put my subwoofer rotation button?
What button? Level? Crossover?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Since the only rotating "button" on a sub that affects frequency is normally the low pass crossover, set it to its highest frequency (or off/bypass) and all bass management will be done by the receiver.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Since the only rotating "button" on a sub that affects frequency is normally the low pass crossover, set it to its highest frequency (or off/bypass) and all bass management will be done by the receiver.
Ah. I missed the "freq." in the post.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Kal Rubinson said:
Ah. I missed the "freq." in the post.
It's not often that I get to chime in where such an illustrious sharpshooter misses a minor detail, but I thought I would give it a shot. It was probably in one of Kal's informative technical posts in the past that I learned this stuff anyway.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
It's not often that I get to chime in where such an illustrious sharpshooter misses a minor detail, but I thought I would give it a shot.
I shoot myself in the foot often because I read too fast.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another question about this:

I bought a 'new' receiver, the Onkyo TX-SR876. This receiver has no SMALL/LARGE speaker option to choose from. I can however set the Xover frequency for each (FR, FL, CC, SR and SL) speaker individually. Does this mean if I set this Xover on 'FULL RANGE' (which is an option in the settings) the speakers are on 'large' and when I choose ANY Xover frequency (let s say 80) that this is the same as 'small'?

Also, there is a 'THX-subwoofer' option in the receiver which can be set on YES or NO. What does this do in both YES or NO?

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Another question about this:

I bought a 'new' receiver, the Onkyo TX-SR876. This receiver has no SMALL/LARGE speaker option to choose from. I can however set the Xover frequency for each (FR, FL, CC, SR and SL) speaker individually. Does this mean if I set this Xover on 'FULL RANGE' (which is an option in the settings) the speakers are on 'large' and when I choose ANY Xover frequency (let s say 80) that this is the same as 'small'?

Also, there is a 'THX-subwoofer' option in the receiver which can be set on YES or NO. What does this do in both YES or NO?
Excellent AVR you just got. 80hz on the Crossover is considered the Small Setting on THX AVR's. Provided you are not using tiny Bose Cube's or the like, 80hz is a good setting for a speakers. What Speakers are you using? Also change the LPF of LFE from 80hz to 120hz. Newer Onkyo AVR's now use 120hz as the LPF of LFE.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Sorry. Do not use it unless you have a THX Certified Subwoofer as it engages BGC (Boundary Gain Compensation) Also, THX Subwoofers must match the I/O (Input/Output) characteristics of the THX Controller (AVR/SSP) Long story short, set it to no unless using a THX Subwoofer.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do not use it unless you have a THX Certified Subwoofer as it engages BGC (Boundary Gain Compensation) Also, THX Subwoofers must match the I/O (Input/Output) characteristics of the THX Controller (AVR/SSP) Long story short, set it to no unless using a THX Subwoofer.

I know the manual states to use it when you have a THX cert. subwoofer but what I want to know is WHAT is actually done by the AVR when selecting YES (or NO). Does something happens with the EQ, PHASE or TIME ALIGNMENT and if so, what happens to this? etc.

You can select THX Cert. Subwoofer YES and bound.gain comp. OFF so there must be a difference between NO and YES(with bgc off)

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
I covered that when I discussed THX Subwoofers matching the I/O characteristics of the THX Controller. THX Subwoofers. That is they have higher voltage levels to ensure the THX mandated 20db of additional Headroom for the Subwoofer over the THX Certified Loudspeakers. This is because THX Loudspeakers do not go much lower than 80hz by design as THX strongly recommends an 80hz XO for all channels and thus the Subwoofer is tasked with handling both the Bass for LFE and all speakers.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I covered that when I discussed THX Subwoofers matching the I/O characteristics of the THX Controller. THX Subwoofers. That is they have higher voltage levels to ensure the THX mandated 20db of additional Headroom for the Subwoofer over the THX Certified Loudspeakers. This is because THX Loudspeakers do not go much lower than 80hz by design as THX strongly recommends an 80hz XO for all channels and thus the Subwoofer is tasked with handling both the Bass for LFE and all speakers.
My subwoofer IS thx-ultraII certified indeed (Teufel M11000SW) but I looked at it s specs and the voltage seems about average (about the same as eg. the SVS PC13 Ultra). 80% of home cinema people have their [email protected] so they all have the same 'problem' that their subwoofer has to handle both the LFE signal and freq. from the satelites under 80Hz.

I still think there is something more about this setting. The best to find out is take measurements with THX subwoofer YES and NO and compare them. I ll do this this weekend.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Guys, I need to know something (I know what the LPF of LFE setting does):

What if my AVR (Denon 2808) DOES NOT have a LPF of LFE setting? What will happen with the LFE content from 80Hz and up? Will I lose it or does it mean that when a AVR does not have the LPF of LFE option it sends all the LFE signal by default to the subwoofer without a upper filter?

·
Registered
487 Posts
THX-UltraII said:
does it mean that when a AVR does not have the LPF of LFE option it sends all the LFE signal by default to the subwoofer without a upper filter?
Yes

1 - 20 of 26 Posts