Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
My subwoofer IS thx-ultraII certified indeed (Teufel M11000SW) but I looked at it s specs and the voltage seems about average (about the same as eg. the SVS PC13 Ultra). 80% of home cinema people have their [email protected] so they all have the same 'problem' that their subwoofer has to handle both the LFE signal and freq. from the satelites under 80Hz.

I still think there is something more about this setting. The best to find out is take measurements with THX subwoofer YES and NO and compare them. I ll do this this weekend.
Dont forget the LFE channel is hotter than the standard channels, so the redirected bass really just gets 'lost', though its not actually lost.

To the THX guy. You might find you DVD/BR player has a LPF setting you can use if you like. Probably worth checking. The LFE channel is only encoded upto 120hz, so your subs is never going to player higher than that anyway, and IIRC, many films dont actually bother to use the 80 - 120 hz range anyway, though I stand to be corrected on that.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Dont forget the LFE channel is hotter than the standard channels, so the redirected bass really just gets 'lost', though its not actually lost.

To the THX guy. You might find you DVD/BR player has a LPF setting you can use if you like. Probably worth checking. The LFE channel is only encoded upto 120hz, so your subs is never going to player higher than that anyway, and IIRC, many films dont actually bother to use the 80 - 120 hz range anyway, though I stand to be corrected on that.
thanks, but why do many AVRs these days have a 250Hz LPF of LFE option then?

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I cant give up a definitive answwer on that. Some subs built in filters also go that high. I suspect its to cater for those who might run multiple subs in more music orientated setups or studio's but still run low level connections

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been reading (and learning!) with great interest the opinions by the experts. I would request somebody to help me on my set up.

AVR: Onkyo TX-NR609 THX Select2Plus

Fronts: PSB Image T55 Tower
Center: PSB C40
Sub: Polk Audio DSW Pro 600
Surrounds: Polk Audio
(Speakers and sub are not THX certified)

Settings: Fronts and Center - 80Hz
LPF of LFE: 100Hz
Low Pass on Sub: 120Hz

Can some please advise me if this looks OK? It doesnt sound too bad though!

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
I have been reading (and learning!) with great interest the opinions by the experts. I would request somebody to help me on my set up.

AVR: Onkyo TX-NR609 THX Select2Plus

Fronts: PSB Image T55 Tower
Center: PSB C40
Sub: Polk Audio DSW Pro 600
Surrounds: Polk Audio
(Speakers and sub are not THX certified)

Settings: Fronts and Center - 80Hz
LPF of LFE: 100Hz
Low Pass on Sub: 120Hz

Can some please advise me if this looks OK? It doesnt sound too bad though!
Nice setup and looks great. Only thing I would do is change LPF of LFE to 120hz as there can be information up to 120hz in the LFE Channel and setting it lower could cause a gap.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts