Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May I have a few recommendations for a external sound card to purchase for my VGN-FW235J (64bit). I understand that I can't use just any one.
I'm looking forward to downloading REW and getting started. I'm trying to put the right tools in place for the job.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm getting a little concerned.
Surely there must be a sound card that is proven to work with my Vista 64bit system.
I did see mention of the TASCAM US-144 in the stickies, but no follow-up to report how it worked.
Comments would be welcomed. :whistling:

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Almost any soundcard will work fine with REW.

You need to find a card that has legitimate drivers for 64 bit Vista.

brucek

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I believe any card stated as compatible with windows 7 works fine with Vista. I know Gperkins just get a Turtle Beach external card that works and is considered a decent sound card.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Almost any soundcard will work fine with REW.

You need to find a card that has legitimate drivers for 64 bit Vista.

brucek
I believe any card stated as compatible with windows 7 works fine with Vista. I know Gperkins just get a Turtle Beach external card that works and is considered a decent sound card.
"legitimate drivers" :dontknow:
I'm probably the only one viewing this that doesn't know what you mean by that... forgive me. What should I check pertaining to the Tascom or any other soundcard that I research?
I'll look for the Gperkins/Turtle Beach thread and read through it.
Does this forum just happen to sell all the interconnects that I'll be needing?
Ya know, I've never been completely happy with my (digital) RS SPL meter. I would like to replace it with something more accurate.
It may or may not be a factor, but after I'm up and running REW competently, I would want to get a FBQ2496 to integrate my new subs.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Drivers are basically the software for the sound card that makes it work. You simply need to make sure the drivers for your chosen sound card will work with your operating system.

The cables are easy to source and fairly cheap unless you want to spend more on better quality cables. If you need to know which cables you need then just ask.

With SPL meters, I know the RS analogue meter has a correction file to correct for its inaccuracies, but I dont think it covers the digital one, perhaps someone else can confirm this. If you want a more accurate meter in general it will cost more. As long as your happy to spend more then thats fine, just make sure your chosen meter is a 'C' weighted one. If you would like pointing in the direction of a good mic then just ask :T

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Drivers are basically the software for the sound card that makes it work. You simply need to make sure the drivers for your chosen sound card will work with your operating system.

The cables are easy to source and fairly cheap unless you want to spend more on better quality cables. If you need to know which cables you need then just ask.

With SPL meters, I know the RS analogue meter has a correction file to correct for its inaccuracies, but I dont think it covers the digital one, perhaps someone else can confirm this. If you want a more accurate meter in general it will cost more. As long as your happy to spend more then thats fine, just make sure your chosen meter is a 'C' weighted one. If you would like pointing in the direction of a good mic then just ask :T
If I'm reading this right, it should work okay; http://www.tascam.com/details;9,15,70,16.html
I would like to get some direction on the interconnects though... thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Galaxy CM140 seems like it would be a suitable replacement for my current one. Would that be recommended?
Since my interest are also with the FBQ2496, perhaps an additional mic is required???

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
"legitimate drivers"
I'm probably the only one viewing this that doesn't know what you mean by that
When a new operating system is released, it seems that many manufacturers are quite slow to provide new divers for their hardware. I've seen drivers released (especially for the 64 bit versions) that give people grief when their first released. Or when someone uses the 32 bit version because the 64 bit hasn't been released yet in the 'hope' that it will be fine. Legitimate means someone else has tried it and it works. :)

I would like to get some direction on the interconnects though
Read and become familiar with the REW HELP files and the REW Cabling and Connections Basics.

Also note the REW information Index and the Download Page.

Yes, we supply all the Radio Shack calibration files for the three models, but be aware RS meters are only reliable to ~3K.

brucek

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I initially had a nightmare with the turtle beach soundcard as I used the disk to install the software thinking once I had done that all I needed to do was upgrade the drivers. Nope! wrong. Ignore the CD all together and just download the drivers from turtle beach and just install that. It has all the software included.

Mine works fine now.

Hope this helps. Its a great sound card runs 7.1 and supports dolby digital and DTS too.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When a new operating system is released, it seems that many manufacturers are quite slow to provide new divers for their hardware. I've seen drivers released (especially for the 64 bit versions) that give people grief when their first released. Or when someone uses the 32 bit version because the 64 bit hasn't been released yet in the 'hope' that it will be fine. Legitimate means someone else has tried it and it works. :)

Read and become familiar with the REW HELP files and the REW Cabling and Connections Basics.

Also note the REW information Index and the Download Page.

Yes, we supply all the Radio Shack calibration files for the three models, but be aware RS meters are only reliable to ~3K.

brucek
Thanks for the clarifacation. I'm currently reading your suggestions.
I'll probably get a different SPL meter than the one I have (RS digital). I will try to determine which sound card to get... either Tascom or Turtle Beach would be fine. And which cabling to get from your drawings. I'd like to have a nice setup. It seems the price difference between inexpensive and good is not enough to be concerned about.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll be getting the Tascom US-144mk2 (http://www.tascam.com/products/us-144mkII.html).
I would like to order all my cabling needs now. Since I'll also be getting either the Behringer DSP-1124P or the FBQ-2496, I've been looking at the guide at the bottom of the page in the 'REW Cabling and Connection Basics'. Is there a link to which USB cable that is? I believe I understand :gulp: the other cables. Any tips for ordering parts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just after I posted that ^, Tascom responded back to me saying that the mk2 has not been tested with REW.
Maybe it's best I just get the US-144.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts