Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, in my hectic household, I very rarely get time where nobody is about, Kids at school etc.

I had enough time for one measurement. Not sure if one can learn much from my graph, but I've tried to set my DEQ 2496 by ear, and every time I change from music to tv to radio, I'm up and down with the volume and change filters. Can I at least be able to set some PEQ's with my graph? I don't know when I'll get a few quiet hours again!

Any help appreciated.

Thank you

Mike:huh:

By mikeezpic at 2010-09-23

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
One thing I can suggest is to run the scan up to 200Hz. Another would be to include the traces for the calibration files. For continuity, we usually ask people to post their scans showing +45dB to +105dB.
I know it may be difficult for you to find the time and quiet to run another scan, but only this exapnded range can help us see if you may have a phase issue at your crossover, which if you do might be your biggest issue right now.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used a Laptop for the measurement, and have saved all the files. If it helps, I can boot the laptop, if more info is needed.
Thank you

Mike:)

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, is there someone who could point me in the right direction, please? glaufman said I might have a phase issue at my crossover, I cross at 60hz.

Thank you.

Mike:)

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts

Hi Mike,

If that black dotted sawtooth thing is your sound card calibration, there’s a big problem there. :eek: Also, it looks like you didn’t do a SPL Calibration before measureing because your signal levels are way too low. Is your graph full range – subs plus mains – or just sub?

Hate to nitpick but please change your graph to LOG. Look for the “Freq Axis” button.

I've tried to set my DEQ 2496 by ear, and every time I change from music to tv to radio, I'm up and down with the volume and change filters.
I realize it’s still early in your calibration process, but you might want to take a look at this article.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Sir, Um.... I noticed 2 things I didn't think were right. Firstly, when I calibrated the soundcard, It seemed like the signal was pulsing. It took ages to get it steady. Also, when checking the spl, (I bought the digital display Radio Shack spl meter), When I turned the volume up on the AV reciever, there was feedback. Also it too, would not steady itself. I left it for a while, to get it to settle, I ended up averageing it. I assumed it may get me in the ballpark, not looking for accuracy.

Having read the article, you linked me to, I feel as though I may as well just do with setting up by ear. I have a Creative X-Fi usb stick, I guess its no good. The laptop is the wife's, and is running Win7. If the soundcard is no good, I'll have to use my desktop with its Creative Soundblaster 24 96 live card. Problem is, it runs Linux, I tried REW on it, but it keeps crashing. Oh, and I measured with the main speakers on as well. Should I turn them off?

I'm still needing some more quiet time, and I'll try again.

Thanks for replying to me again.

Hopefully, I'll get another crack at it.

Cheers, Mike:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts