Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am juggling between concepts right now.

I have always been interested in Line Arrays... I personally think they look cool, but I have zero experience with them.

I've been researching for full range drivers, and I found this 4", made locally, and available at the reasonable price of $18 a unit. This way, I wouldn't have to design a crossover, which would be another thing to learn! Unless I need to add some tweeters to the mix.

I'm trying to come up with design, but I need to understand how line arrays work. I downloaded Jim Griffin white paper on LA, but I need time to understand the concepts...

Still don't know if I should go with an open baffle (easy construction), or closed back (more work!).

This is the driver I found. Anyone could provide some feedback regarding this unit? I'm thinking of using 8 of them per tower.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the read!

A little different, since they are using 2" drivers ... and a lot more! :)
But interesting to read nevertheless.

My big question I guess is: Am I overthinking it?

In my quest to come up with something that is not a beast, but gives out a nice sound field, am I going overboard with 8 drivers per column ... and maybe one or 2 would do the same?

I have quite a big room, so, the multiple smaller drivers looked like it may fill that space better than a 2-way with a single 8" or 10" woofer with tweeter. That would also bring in the crossover design, in which I have zero experience. The array is also more spouse friendly than a big ported box.

Rainy season will be over in about a month, so I still have a little time to decide what I want to do exactly.... but I am excited at the idea of starting to build soon! :)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I have also liked the idea of line array's. In my opinion in a large room for 2ch use they would be able to produce a much larger sound stage, and look fantastic to boot. However they can be complicated to build so it becomes a labor of love. For home theater, I believe the advent of the front height and front width speakers being employed in 9.2 and 11.2 channel surround systems will give as good or better staging.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm...

How complicated? I thought since there were no crossovers, it would make my life easier. But looking at the project linked to PE, I just don't understand how they figured the wiring pattern....

I've had success at school, but Electricity 101 has never been easy for me. You should see how long it takes me to wire up a 3-way switch!

Also, it would be impossible due to room restrictions and design to have a 9 or 11 speaker setup. Hence the idea of the line array.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That looks nice, 5.5" ... hmmm... wonder if that size would pass the spouse approval criteria! :)

I have been looking at shipping costs for drivers... not cheap!
The import fees are not too bad, but shipping drivers is really expensive!

I saw the Celestion build using 3". I would rather build something narrower than that, but maybe I could go down from 4" to 3" drivers and try to reduce the combing effect. 4" drivers places them farther apart.

http://celestion.com/speakerworld/patech/2/82/Build_Monitor_Speakers_With_AN3510_Full_Range_Drivers/

I found another local made full range driver at 3".
Some specs:

Attachments

·
Registered
762 Posts
Also check out the fusion 4 on the diysound.com site. Seems to be a nice little build. May also be good and is much smaller than the za5.5.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I absolutely love my arrays for both music and movies (see my avatar/signature). Huge sound stage and monstrous dynamics, plus incredible efficiency. Sound as good at low volume as they do cranked.

The big questions are, what is your budget, what are your non-negotiables vs. what corners can be cut and are you an experienced wood worker?

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
line arrays can be easier in some ways. no need for a crossover, but getting them just right with the wiring and choosing the right drivers is really the clincher

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those Lambda are gorgeous!

Unfortunately, my space wouldn't allow for such a beast...
Also, I guess my budget is lower than that. I have too many hobbies... drumming, surfing, music, motorcycle, ... all of which are too expensive! ha ha!

Nevertheless, I am opened to suggestions, and my wood working skills are not bad. I can tackle pretty much anything ... I've done a surfboard and some furniture out of wood.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just got a laconic reply from Erich at DIYsoundgroup.
Didn't seem he wants to ship to me, as it would at least double the cost of the kit.

Been reading so much... my head is spinning.
Now I see that my line "array" is better named as line "source", since I do not get to 70% of the height in my room.

I am trying to get something going with six(6) 4" woofers (full range) and seeing if I need to add a set of tweeters later. I've been looking at ribbons (great for listening position, not so when moving around) and CD with horns for more projection and dispersion.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Taiwan!

A bit off the usual trade routes!

I'm on the East coast, I have the mountains in my backyard, and the Pacific in front. Not too shabby.

But not too convenient when it comes to asking people to ship me some stuff!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've been looking at ribbons (great for listening position, not so when moving around) and CD with horns for more projection and dispersion.
A line source with multiple ribbons would solve the vertical dispersion issue. Horizontal dispersion is very good, almost flat to 20khz+ at 45 degrees off-axis for many models on the market. I believe Beston is located close to you, they are a very good sounding and lower cost ribbon option with a number of options for specific applications. Jim Griffin discusses the use of ribbons as an optimal driver for line source/line array because the narrow vertical dispersion lends itself to better blending between ribbons and less unwanted interaction between ribbons vs. domes (though foam, etc. could be used to isolate domes from each other but this is not an exact science and would require extensive testing especially with untested domes):

http://www.ribbonspeaker.com.tw/

Those Lambda are gorgeous!
Just saw this comment, thank you! Al Wooley in British Columbia does GREAT work and his crossover skills are incredible. Here is the center he is building for me: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/css/249510-custom-apex-c-wavecor-mid-ldw7-woofers.html

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks!

I actually found Beston yesterday and I was looking at their products.
Nice to read they are a good company and I can get them easily.

They have a dome shaped ribbon. Don't know much about that though.

I've been trying to come up with some designs last night. My mind is just whirling with stuff !

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just saw this comment, thank you! Al Wooley in British Columbia does GREAT work and his crossover skills are incredible. Here is the center he is building for me: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/css/249510-custom-apex-c-wavecor-mid-ldw7-woofers.html
Watching movies with those line arrays and that center must be some experience! I'm sure you have something just as amazing for rears!

I've been running things in my mind, and coming up with simple drawings, because I think better when I see it.

I'm starting with a simple line of 6 woofers ... can I make it work with 6 for the wiring? I'd be 2-2-2, right? so no power distribution going that way, they all get the same... if I understood wiring correctly.

To that, I could either add a simple box on top with a horn / compression driver mounted inside, basic crossover design as the woofer would be wired separately and directly.

Or, install the horn in the column.

Finally, a couple of ribbons on the side, since vertical dispersion is limited, I may have enough with 2 and separating them a bit won't affect each other and keep combing at a minimum, if any.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also, I've been looking at the Beston ribbons.

They have the RT002A in 4,6 or 8 Ohms, at about $30 each, seems reasonable. Never heard them though.

They also have a round ribbon, the RT003C, and I was wondering the differences between the traditional mini horn design and the circular one. The website doesn't mention much, either in English or Chinese.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts