Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Ht4me said:
Please never trust your love of your ht equipment to low grade protection. What's it worth to loose just one piece? I dont know if I can say who did this for me,
SHACK GODS
please let me know if I can or not.... I will privately if need be to brag on a company who really does do what their packaging/ promo info says! #1 protect your valuables and really replace the lost product.
Has anyone else had a good or bad experience with theirs?
Mike
Don't hesitate to post the manufacturer and your experience. Just state the facts and all the info about how you contacted them, etc, that might be useful to someone else. As long as you keep it clear what are the actual facts and what is your opinion, no problem naming names.

Your experience is not unique. Godd surge suppression can be a big benefit. It is no gaurantee that you wil not get damage but it is cheap insurance. Just be sure to go check all of your connections, partiularly the grounds. A good surge can cook a weak ground and your protection may be compromised.

Ditto those comments on power conditioning. In most cases it is not a benefit. Some specific applications may benefit, but in general the value for most people is marginal at best.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I am a technicain and service manager for a HT dealer. I fix things and solve problems. Sometimes that involves calibration or repair of the equipment, sometimes it requires caliration of the user. They also tell me I could sell manure in a barnyard if I needed too...

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
BTW, we have been selling Panamax mostly since long before I joined the company 7 years ago. I have yet to see a system that I could conclude had surge damage that was properly connected to a Panamax unit. I have seen several panamax units that were clearly damaged themselves, but none of the connected equipment had problems. We see damaged equipment all the time that is not connected to a surge suppressor, not connected properly (i.e. not all lines go through the unit), or where system grounding is not done correctly or is compromised.

Our experience has been like yours, they have been great to deal with. They do charge a shipping and handling fee for replacement, but I have never had them refuse to replace a unit. We have never had a claim filed under their warranty for connected equipment, so I can't comment on that. In general, I think they have fine equipment. Some of the higher end stuff is overkill on the filtering for most systems, but it does filter pretty well if there is noise on the line. I think for basic surge suppressors there are a few better values on the lower end, but Panamax is great stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts