Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to drive the output on my laptop for both my EP1500 and my plate amplifier (subwoofer). Right now I have the rca's split which is pretty suboptimal in terms of input voltage on the two amps.

I am thinking about buying one of these
Gemini PA-7000 Preamplifier

As I understand it, it has xlr outputs and rca's. So I could run the xlr to my EP1500 and the rca's to my sub. Does anyone own this and/or know if these outputs can be used simultaneously?

The alternatives are 1) ART Cleanbox/ S-Convert type thing. The downsides to this are 1) It only does 1 input/output so I would have to drive the rca's off the laptop to really high levels and have the rca's split to each device after the box, and I've heard these things have significant signal coloration, especially in the lower frequencies.

2) A small mixer. The downsides are 1) takes up a lot of space and is complicated 2) most of the cheaper ones (<$80 budget) don't have multiple xlr stereo outputs.

Would the gemini pa-7000 do what I need?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for suggestion, thats whats great about this forum. Ill do some research on that device :).

It doesn't appear to have xlr out. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did some research. It looks like a pretty nice mixer, I will probably buy one. 1/4 balanced is similar to XLR in terms of signal quality, right?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kind of hoping for getting balanced in. I really like how clear it is and you get a db boost with xlr.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts