Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking around for a sub design to complement my floorstanding Tony Gee LBS speakers that I made a couple of years back.

I was thinking of a Linkwitz Thor as a good design that could easily get to 20Hz without breaking the bank and taking up the whole living room.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/thor-intro.htm

I know that Thor is designed to complement Orion, but it looks to be a great sub by itself, especially since Siegfried Linkwitz includes the design for a pretty nice equaliser.

What does everyone think?

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,380 Posts
It looks to be an acoustic suspension subwoofer to me. He takes a slightly different approach with his EQ design it seems - very similar to what Bag End does actually - but beyond that it doesn't appear all that unique. Perhaps someone like Mike will chime in though; he's far better at the design aspects then I am.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Again it solely depends on budget. Peerless makes some great drivers. And Linkwitz Lab makes a great design. But for around 1000 for a pair of 12's I would build something else. $1000 for woofer and supplies minus amplifier. He said about 1800 for everything.

If you like to build then you can build a LT circuit, pair of higher Xmax 12's, materials and buy amp for under 1000. I was thinking 200 for each woofer. Now saying this you could also get a SI 15" or 18" for under 200.

There are many options out there from a flat pack to one off designs to decide from. If you now what your box size limitations are and budget that would help us also.

I tend to build for the best value I can get with my money. Others have more money so this maybe something you can afford and want to do. But without knowing desired box sizes and budget it is hard to have an opinion on the Thor.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your responses guys

Down in Australia we are severely restricted on the driver brands that are available (at a sensible price anyway) - the Peerless driver is one that happens to be available, and recently someone has started selling some of the Dayton sub drivers as well.

I can get the Peerless 830500 for around $250, and Dayton drivers for a bit less.

As far as plate amps go, I was going to use Dayton again, since the only other alternative is Hypex, which would still need to be imported at significant cost. Its much cheaper than the $800+ that Siegfried uses, can be got for $179, since Siegfried only uses a amp of 180W.

Physical dimensions of the Thor (14x14x20.5 inches) are about the max I could get away with with the wife I'd think.

Are there any other designs you'd think were better using Dayton drivers in a box of similar size? What driver do you think has the best 'bang for buck' with these parameters? (I'll see if I can get it...)

Also, are there any circuit diagrams for a generic LT EQ that you could point me to, or would Siegfried's design work with most drivers if I tweaked some of the component values?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts