Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm starting to educate myself and wanted to ask if 59-60dbs sound right for a living room next to a kitchen (quiet, except for refrigerator running in background).

My upstairs room was quiet (to me) and it registered 55db.

Thanks,
Richard

I'm using a umik-1 and starting to learn few.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Sounds right to me I was surprised how loud some places where.

Both 40db and 60db will sound the same to us if it's a constant sound and we are around it for a long time.
I can be in my house and think wow this is quiet but then the fridge compressor turns off. I then think to myself wow I did not even know it was on, now it's quiet... then the furnace turns off...

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Sounds right to me I was surprised how loud some places where. Both 40db and 60db will sound the same to us if it's a constant sound and we are around it for a long time. I can be in my house and think wow this is quiet but then the fridge compressor turns off. I then think to myself wow I did not even know it was on, now it's quiet... then the furnace turns off...
that's funny. Just like home.... It's funny what we acclimate to without realizing.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Furnace/AC and refrigerator/freezer are machines we quickly tune out, but they sure show up in measurements.

I had a 20 Hz "thing" showing up in my measurements one day recently that was constant at about 70 dB. I could see it, but could NOT hear it. Turns out it was a box fan sitting on the living room floor right above my listening room.

When making critical measurements, I usually turn off all such systems, and hopefully remember to turn them back on again. The WAF for leaving the refrigerator turned off is very poor around here.:rant:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts